Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins

Losing Hunt and Wilkins and paying a limited QB top 3 money is the kiss of death for this franchise.

The Grier / McDaniel era will crumble this season when Tua gets dinged again.

It is so easy to see, blind sheep leading this franchise.

I honestly don't get it- use the tag as a threat to get a long term deal done.

The tag is a tool. I do not understand not utilizing the tool.
I think the tag would give Wilkins more leverage since Wilkins playing on the tag is the last Miami would want since we need that money

This forum last year was filled with threads and posts stating Wilkins was not worth what he was asking.

Odd how that has changed.
Only certain people were saying that. Most of us were not. But honestly I don't keep track of who said what except for a select few ;)

The o-line tag all positions grouped together?
As I understand it. Here is an article listing the positions and the tag amount (scroll down a bit).

The Olineman tag is north of 18.2m for any position.

Last edited:

I said it when they made that trade for Chubb. Big mistake.

Ha, Omar... I believe that. Chubb has gotten more sacks per full year than Wilkins, he has a good number of tackles, though not as many because of the trade mid season and more forces fumbles than Wilkins. Let him go to the Falcons, or the Cardinals or wherever and earn that big paycheck. He's a great complementary player but not a 'difference maker'.

Last edited:
As I understand it. Here is an article listing the positions and the tag amount (scroll down a bit).

The Olineman tag is north of 18.2m for any position.
Good looks, I did not realize that was the case..

Chubb vs Wilkins is close. Tbh both are on that tier you're really glad to have until they want top-end money. When you're paying them top end, you're kind of wanting more than you're getting.

If Wilkins wants 25m per or whatever the number is, I'd rather secure Waddle, Holland, and Phillips if he can stay healthy. Either way, Wilkins is a difference maker - just not at a star level, and it sounds like that's the kind of compensation he wants.

Good looks, I did not realize that was the case..
I forgot the link. It is there now.

I don't understand why people are upset we traded for chubb. It gave us 1.5 years of both chubb and Wilkins and I'd much rather have Phillips, chubb and seiler over Phillips Wilkins and seiler. Sucks to lose a fan favorite but give me chubb over Wilkins easily. And that's nothing against Wilkins, I just think chubb is a better player and value edge rusher more than DT as well.

I don't understand why people are upset we traded for chubb. It gave us 1.5 years of both chubb and Wilkins and I'd much rather have Phillips, chubb and seiler over Phillips Wilkins and seiler. Sucks to lose a fan favorite but give me chubb over Wilkins easily. And that's nothing against Wilkins, I just think chubb is a better player and value edge rusher more than DT as well.
But you are not factoring in the draft capital Chubb cost, nor the reality that Chubb has already cost us around 33.5m in real money, nor that it is nearly inevitable that Chubb will depart at some point, leaving the team with a substantial amount of dead money.

There's more to it than the simple portrait you painted.

But you are not factoring in the draft capital Chubb cost, nor the reality that Chubb has already cost us around 33.5m in real money, nor that it is nearly inevitable that Chubb will depart at some point, leaving the team with a substantial amount of dead money.

There's more to it than the simple portrait you painted.
not only that but how many games will he miss every year....he's only played one full season and that was his rookie year

not only that but how many games will he miss every year....he's only played one full season and that was his rookie year
True, he has been truly healthy only about half the time he has been here. He was also basically lost/useless the first year when he came in mid season.

He did play well pre injury last year. I will certainly acknowledge that .

This forum last year was filled with threads and posts stating Wilkins was not worth what he was asking.

Odd how that has changed.
I don't know what was being said. But you are describing the fundamentals of bounce. Wilkins offered high end production in 2023, relative to his ability range. He's not going to magically break through the barriers into a different tier. The most likely future is regression, back toward the center of his ability range.

That is the reason so many free agent signings fail. It's like a 185 bowler who rolls a few 220s and all of a sudden is being paid like 220s are norm, with expectation of 240+.

I'll be corny and say you strike out

Sharp general managers should be looking for the 200 bowler who got in a rut last season and continued to miss the 10 pin en route to an average well below norm. Easily fixable and nice value.

Don't ask me for names. These days I know concepts but not football names. I can supply the names in sports like track, swimming and biathlon.

Back
Top Bottom