Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins

I don't understand why people are upset we traded for chubb. It gave us 1.5 years of both chubb and Wilkins and I'd much rather have Phillips, chubb and seiler over Phillips Wilkins and seiler. Sucks to lose a fan favorite but give me chubb over Wilkins easily. And that's nothing against Wilkins, I just think chubb is a better player and value edge rusher more than DT as well.

You’re absolutely nuts if you think Chubb is a better player than Wilkins. Chubb struggles to get off a block. He can’t beat most OTs not named Mekhi Becton.

Waaaaaaay OFF.

I honestly don't get it- use the tag as a threat to get a long term deal done.

The tag is a tool. I do not understand not utilizing the tool.
We don't have the cap space. It would be like 22mil+ to tag him and it would have to be done before the league new year on March 15 (when everyone has to be under the cap). Right now we're currently over the cap by 18 mil. So we literally can not do it...

We have the luxury of being a tax free state, those who are not are going to have to have a much larger offer than ours.
Thank you for mentioning this. It sometimes gets lost in these discussions. We are not a bad team right now, so hopefully the lack of state income tax appeals to some FA's. If we weren't close to being a contender, I could see a player disregarding the tax factor.

Matubuike > Wilkins

I no longer want Wilkins back assuming that’s his price tag. He simply isn’t worth that or close to it, IMO. Rather spread that money elsewhere and/or use it to extend our own players at more important positions.

Feel like we can fill in adequately for Wilkins by signing two DTs for a fraction of his cost.

He’s going to get his bag. He bet on himself and he earned it. I truly wish him well although I hope he signs in the NFC for a shitty team.

I love Wilkins energy, but I'd rather fix the issue with guys running with the ball halfway down the field than paying a DT to chase them down. 😆

Exactly. That's what your LINEBACKERS are for. If your DT is doing that you're in big trouble because that means the RB blew past your dline, your backers are getting blocked or just plain missing tackles, then your 'high motor' guys are playing catch up...so you have bigger issues with your defense that all starts up front.

If the hammer falls and we lose him I say the Dolphins will survive...like the song says it's corny but a classic

Last edited:
Sheesh. That's a monster contract.
All 32 teams have an extra $33M to spend - so the total NFL player payment pool grew by nearly $1Billion overnight. Note that most of that money will go toward paying the elite players more (a lot more), it doesn't go to fringe players. Madubuike timed his good season and becoming a free agent, perfectly. We are probably going to find that Christian Wilkins will command top $, as well.

All 32 teams have an extra $33M to spend - so the total NFL player payment pool grew by nearly $1Billion overnight. Note that most of that money will go toward paying the elite players more (a lot more), it doesn't go to fringe players. Madubuike timed his good season and becoming a free agent, perfectly. We are probably going to find that Christian Wilkins will command top $, as well.
I mean sure if that's how you run a budget. Getting a stimulus and immediately spending it like it wasn't your money to begin with isn't really a good way to go about business. I'll hold judgement until I see the full contract, but that is a hellova lot of money guaranteed so gotta assume Ravens are not planning for more than 3 years here. That Jackson contract and any other large contracts they give out will come due. Ravens have been handing out cash like monopoly money for two years now.

Yeah...we're not getting Wilkins back. lol

Grier has taken a lot of **** about letting Wilkins walk, but after seeing what Madubuike just got paid, it sure looks like he did the right thing.

I love Wilkins, I absolutely hate seeing him go, but he’s probably gonna get a bigger contract than Mads just got and that’s strait up unfathomable to me. You simply can’t pay Wilkins over $25/per year and hope to build any semblance of a quality football team with depth.

Grier has taken a lot of **** about letting Wilkins walk, but after seeing what Madubuike just got paid, it sure looks like he did the right thing.

I love Wilkins, I absolutely hate seeing him go, but he’s probably gonna get a bigger contract than Mads just got and that’s strait up unfathomable to me. You simply can’t pay Wilkins over $25/per year and hope to build any semblance of a quality football team with depth.

Mic drop right there.

We Did It Mic Drop GIF

Chris Jones will move the DT market even further North.......

I agree with your comments and would rather see us focus those dollars elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom