Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins

We can absolutely fill that spot for half that or less based on who is available and market value. I get it though, he has a high motor, great teammate, healthy, and tough. Depending on what else we do I would say 20m is ceiling but tbh I think we can save here.

Great teams trade guys they cannot afford to resign before they walk in FA for a late 3rd round compensation pick. The Chiefs traded Hill and won 2 Super Bowls with garbage WRs. It is disappointing we did not trade Wilkins this year when we knew, realistically, we could not afford to match the FA market for him. Even if we did not get a huge return, it would certainly be better than a pick in the early 100s in 2025.

If this means he tests the market and we lose him it is truly disappointing.
Look, the guys in his prime, he continues to be a run stuffer, his pressure/sack rate has improved year after year, we won’t just draft a new guy and watch him do the same as soon as he steps in.
It all starts with stopping the run and over the last few years with Wilkins, Sieler and Raekwon our run Defense has been great. Wilkins is the key to this if you ask me.
Not to mention he loves Miami and he is home grown, for me, he and Hunt must be retained.
Draft a Center in round one and we are in good shape after few depth signing OL in free agency.

Why do we have to be upset with someone who is at the pinnacle of their career and wants to be compensated as much as possible? Anyone with talent would and should do the same. But I do hope we can keep him.
I am not upset at all that Wilkins wants to get paid as much as possible. He certainly deserves a huge raise based on his play in recent years.

Yet as a Dolphin fan, I hate the fact the Dolphins don’t have the cap space available to sign one of the best first round picks they made over the last two decades. He is one of my favorite players on the team at this time but if he does end up signing with another team, I wish him nothing but the best and will continue to be thankful for the player he was while with the Dolphins.

Over the last two years, whenever anyone at FH brought up the problems caused by signing an expensive player or the ramifications of the salary cap, many posters would say things like:

1) The salary cap isn't real.
2) I don't care about next year, I want to win now.
3) I've been a fan for x amount of years, and this is our best shot.
4) We'll never lose anybody, we have this cap expert guy.
5) etc.

If you said any of these things... slap yourself. Slap yourself hard.

Over the last two years, whenever anyone at FH brought up the problems caused by signing an expensive player or the ramifications of the salary cap, many posters would say things like:

1) The salary cap isn't real.
2) I don't care about next year, I want to win now.
3) I've been a fan for x amount of years, and this is our best shot.
4) We'll never lose anybody, we have this cap expert guy.
5) etc.

If you said any of these things... slap yourself. Slap yourself hard.

I get this mentality. But with Wilkins I don't think it applies.

It appears the cap was not the issue. He appears to have priced himself out of Miami.

I guess you could say the cap was a factor.

But if they were going for 18/ year and Wilkins was going for 24/ year then Miami didn't see him a that top DT that Wilkins thinks he is.

Having extra cap, IMO, doesn't change your mindset if you already don't think he's a top DT

Just GRYPHONKS humble opinion

It's very possible Grier knew he was going to lose Wilkins. He made a solid offer last season. But Wilkins is insisting on his price. Grier at this point may be playing the long game with Phillips, Waddle and Holland all needing new deals within the next 2 years. You can't sign them all. Wilkins will also be 29 years old.

An advantage for letting Hunt, Wilkins and perhaps even Van Ginkle leave, is the potential compensation picks Miami will gain in 2025 and the cap space to pay other players, especially their own. Miami will be eligible for up to 4 comp picks. If Wilkins, Hunt and Van Ginkle get market value or better from other teams. Miami is looking at multiple 3rd or 4th round comp picks in 2025.

Holland, Waddle and Phillips will only be somewhere around 24/25/26 yrs old, when they become F/A's.

Last edited:
Losing Wilkins will hurt, especially our defense vs the run, but it will not be devastating to to our defense if Miami still bring back at least a solid DT to replace him.

Personally I hope Miami and Wilkins can still find a way to come together and keep him, but if he leaves, nothing we can do but just move forward, and create the best defense without him.

It's very possible Grier knew he was going to lose Wilkins. He made a solid offer last season. But Wilkins is insisting on his price. Grier at this point may be playing the long game with Phillips, Waddle and Holland all needing new deals within the next 2 years. You can't sign them all. Wilkins will also be 29 years old.

A potential advantage for letting Hunt, Wilkins and perhaps even Van Ginkle leave, is the potential compensation picks Miami will gain in 2025 and the cap space to pay other players, especially their own. Miami will be eligible for up to 4 comp picks. If Wilkins, Hunt and Van Ginkle get market value or better from other teams. Miami is looking at multiple 3rd or 4th round comp picks in 2025.

Holland, Waddle and Phillips will only be somewhere around 24/25/26 yrs old, when they become F/A's.

Great point.

I mean Miamis problem is that they actually have too many good young players.

Think of it this way.

Tua/ Holland/ Hunt/ Wilkins/ Waddle/ Phillips.

None of these guys are average. They are good to great to potentially tops at their position.

None of these guys are going to accept AVERAGE extensions.

When all their contracts are due at roughly the same time it will cause issues with some of your older good to great players.

So, if you're asking me would I rather overpay and extend Wilkins or overpay and extend Waddle/ Holland and Phillips. The choice is clear.

I mean I don't want to overpay for anyone. But let's face it, unless your Austin Jackson or David Long. Chances are you are not going to sign a bargain deal contract when this is your time to set you up for generational wealth.

Miamis problem is that they just have too many good players.

At the end of the day, the only thing i would have done diferrently was the Chubb trade. But that's just me

Back
Top Bottom