Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins expected to not use the franchise tag on Christian Wilkins

I get this mentality. But with Wilkins I don't think it applies.

It appears the cap was not the issue. He appears to have priced himself out of Miami.

I guess you could say the cap was a factor.

But if they were going for 18/ year and Wilkins was going for 24/ year then Miami didn't see him a that top DT that Wilkins thinks he is.

Having extra cap, IMO, doesn't change your mindset if you already don't think he's a top DT

Just GRYPHONKS humble opinion

I understand your point on Wilkins and would answer it with one idea... given Wilkins age, it would have been best if we had resigned him OVER a year ago-- back when we first started talking to him.
His price wasn't 24m then. He hadn't put up a 9 sack season then.
But some of us said two things... 1) it's coming. 2) You guys are over-rating sacks when you resist his requests.

I remember the debates... there were guys who swore... SWORE he wasn't gonna get more than 10m. Remember that? I wish I could remember just exactly which guys said that so I could point at them and laugh (grimly).

I'm a pay-as-you go guy, believing it's better to pay guys as soon as you can and to avoid those ridiculous first year 1m salaries.

For the last 2-3 years I've projected that these problems were coming.. and I'm extremely sad that they have...
I hate 'going all in'. Hate it.

Great point.

I mean Miamis problem is that they actually have too many good young players.

Think of it this way.

Tua/ Holland/ Hunt/ Wilkins/ Waddle/ Phillips.

None of these guys are average. They are good to great to potentially tops at their position.

None of these guys are going to accept AVERAGE extensions.

When all their contracts are due at roughly the same time it will cause issues with some of your older good to great players.

So, if you're asking me would I rather overpay and extend Wilkins or overpay and extend Waddle/ Holland and Phillips. The choice is clear.

I mean I don't want to overpay for anyone. But let's face it, unless your Austin Jackson or David Long. Chances are you are not going to sign a bargain deal contract when this is your time to set you up for generational wealth.

Miamis problem is that they just have too many good players.

At the end of the day, the only thing i would have done diferrently was the Chubb trade. But that's just me
I agree 100%, especially on Chubb.

He will get it somewhere. From what I understand FA for offensive players is kind of meh. It’s a defensive player teams will splash with, potentially Wilkins.

Just remember, unless you have a Tom Brady there is seldom such thing as the good cheap team everybody dreams of.

I understand your point on Wilkins and would answer it with one idea... given Wilkins age, it would have been best if we had resigned him OVER a year ago-- back when we first started talking to him.
His price wasn't 24m then. He hadn't put up a 9 sack season then.
But some of us said two things... 1) it's coming. 2) You guys are over-rating sacks when you resist his requests.

I remember the debates... there were guys who swore... SWORE he wasn't gonna get more than 10m. Remember that? I wish I could remember just exactly which guys said that so I could point at them and laugh (grimly).

I'm a pay-as-you go guy, believing it's better to pay guys as soon as you can and to avoid those ridiculous first year 1m salaries.

For the last 2-3 years I've projected that these problems were coming.. and I'm extremely sad that they have...
I hate 'going all in'. Hate it.

100% agreed.

I would rather lock these guys up sooner rather then later.

So I agree with you here.

Same thing will happen with Tua. If Tua balls out this season, we are going to wish we signed him for 54/55 per.

This is why I say whether it's Tua or Wilkins. Throw in guys like Waddle and Holland. Sign these guys sooner, rather then later.

I understand how waiting assists with the cap etc. But let's look at Waddle. Right now we would probably be able to sign him to.a solid extension. If he rocks it out this year, now its another playing we have to consider " resetting the market" numbers for.

So, like I say with Tua this year. Screw the 5th year option

Either sign him.or trade him.
Wilkins should have been extended or traded last season.
WAddle and Holland are in the same boat. If you can't get those guys extended before their last season or 5th year option, then trade them while you can get excellent value.

I know this may not be exactly what you are talking about Fever lol. But to your specific point with Wilkins I 100% agree. Typically waiting costs you more with the better players

We have the luxury of being a tax free state, those who are not are going to have to have a much larger offer than ours.
This is mentioned every year since Finheaven came online...and I hope it helps get players to Miami. Do we/will we ever know if this has ever enticed a player to sign with the Fins?

100% agreed.

I would rather lock these guys up sooner rather then later.

So I agree with you here.

Same thing will happen with Tua. If Tua balls out this season, we are going to wish we signed him for 54/55 per.

This is why I say whether it's Tua or Wilkins. Throw in guys like Waddle and Holland. Sign these guys sooner, rather then later.

I understand how waiting assists with the cap etc. But let's look at Waddle. Right now we would probably be able to sign him to.a solid extension. If he rocks it out this year, now its another playing we have to consider " resetting the market" numbers for.

So, like I say with Tua this year. Screw the 5th year option

Either sign him.or trade him.
Wilkins should have been extended or traded last season.
WAddle and Holland are in the same boat. If you can't get those guys extended before their last season or 5th year option, then trade them while you can get excellent value.

I know this may not be exactly what you are talking about Fever lol. But to your specific point with Wilkins I 100% agree. Typically waiting costs you more with the better players
Agreed...

I will say this... DT, Guard, Safety, Slot Receiver...

We are strongest in areas that traditionally are not the marquee positions... and because of this, I think we are in a position to lose some or all of these players.

You would much rather have home grown stars at OT, CB, QB, X WR, Edge...

The salary cap is a Jenga game that too many brothers want to ignore like an iffy medical test. They wave their hands and want it to go away.

It doesn't.

One of the reasons that New England thrived as long as they did was their habit of letting players walk away. They always had tons of comp picks every year, and watching our low-watt conspiracy minded brothers cry that the NFL was cheating for the Patriots was always grating for me.
New England understood the comp pick system and utilized it VERY well... if Bellicheat could draft, they'd still be on top.

Agreed...

I will say this... DT, Guard, Safety, Slot Receiver...

We are strongest in areas that traditionally are not the marquee positions... and because of this, I think we are in a position to lose some or all of these players.

You would much rather have home grown stars at OT, CB, QB, X WR, Edge...

The salary cap is a Jenga game that too many brothers want to ignore like an iffy medical test. They wave their hands and want it to go away.

It doesn't.

One of the reasons that New England thrived as long as they did was their habit of letting players walk away. They always had tons of comp picks every year, and watching our low-watt conspiracy minded brothers cry that the NFL was cheating for the Patriots was always grating for me.
New England understood the comp pick system and utilized it VERY well... if Bellicheat could draft, they'd still be on top.
1. You are leaving out the actual reason New England won all the time. And why Belichick is well under .500 in his career without him.

2. They were literally punished twice for cheating.

He was a nice player, let's not get emotional however. He is wanting to be paid above fair market value and for that he can GTFO
but you are happy giving tua the 5 and 250mm? consensus around the nfl is wilkins is a better DT than tua is a QB. wilkins is also substantially cheaper than tua. but this is what happens when you line up to pay your QB all that money. tua better be the guy, because we will be shedding lots of good players to keep tua around......

Back
Top Bottom