Dolphins have targeted Hartline and Clemons as must re-signs | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins have targeted Hartline and Clemons as must re-signs

Seriously how much must sign talent can we have on a team racking up 4 straight losing seasons

Clemons has been extremely solid I saw him as a must sign as well. Dude slowly gets better every single year.

Hartline has gotten better every year as well. The 6-8mil is way too much to sign the guy, but I think we can get that number way down and get it done. Starks and Fasano next.

the only way i will take hartline back is he signs for 4 million a year or less, if not then let him walk.

:ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised by the fact that we will try hard to resign Hartline but a bit surprised by the Clemons news. Although if he wants to sign somewhere around 3M$, he may be a pretty good option at FS.

Hartline is the perfect #2 receiver, he knows the system and he's productive + young and dedicated. Add a Wallace or a Jennings and we'll feature a pretty solid trio with Bess.

I wonder if they'll try to sign Smith too, our CB situation will become nightmarish pretty quickly now that Milliner is clearly out of reach at 12...

imo Jennings knows our system to, and for what hartline might be askin 6-7 mil we can grab jennings for 7-8 mil maybe for the same 6-7 mil hartline is askin for ,and as for clemons theres goin to be alot of very good safteys in FA , SO IMO its not a priorty to resign either for crazy money when we can get even better WR in Jennings , and S IN FA , SO ASK YOURSELF ONE QUESTION , who would YOU REALLY RATHER HAVE , GREG JENNINGS AS A #2 BEHIND MIKE WALLACE , OR Brain Hartline behind Mike Wallace ?

No, Clemons isn't a bad safety. He's actually a pretty decent starter.
No, re-signing Clemons doesn't have to be the "end all be all" type of transaction.
This is actually quite common in the NFL. Training camp is all about competition. When you have guys like Clemons, who have been pretty good, you don't just let them walk when you have nobody else to fill that hole. You use a small amount of the $40+ million to re-sign them. Then, you assess what options are available in free agency and the draft. If you can find a player that's as good or better for an economical contract, you let them compete and the winner starts. If you find a young player with a lot of upside, you let them compete, and if the player exceeds the expectations of his youth he starts, and if not, he learns the system for another year.

Hartline is probably the only guy in Miami's receiving corps that Tannehill is super comfortable with. He was the most targeted receiver on this team, and I have a feeling he can be talked down a little from the $6.5 million to $7 million that he would like to get. Signing Hartline also doesn't negate the importance of adding a receiver in free agency AND the draft.

These are mere steps in what we are hopeful, and likely to see this offseason.

I think Smith, when left alone in coverage, mans up pretty well. It is when he thinks he is doing half of the job with another player that he seems to cover no one. I would give him a 4 yr, 28 mil deal and leave him on an island and dedicate the safety help to the run game or blitzing or zone help elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

I am not sure where the value for Hartline is coming from. I am not sure anyone is signing him to be a #1 WR. If that is so, how much money do teams spend on a #2. And I do not consider Atlanta's situation where they have two #1s.

well if hartlines a must sign prior to free agency get ready for a $6 mil or more per year contract to be coming his way...as for clemons i think it makes sense...worst case it buys you time...will be interesting to see if it's anything more than a 1 year deal or what the contract terms are regarding guaranteed money etc

It is laughable about how people around here do not understand how expensive and perhaps overvalued the receiver market is. Nothing will be cheap and that includes Hartline and Jennings.

People think hartline is a slow wr, who excels at route running, this isn't true at all. He's actually a fast wr who is a pretty and route runner. Hartline hasn't even reached his prime yet.

I think Smith, when left alone in coverage, mans up pretty well. It is when he thinks he is doing half of the job with another player that he seems to cover no one. I would give him a 4 yr, 28 mil deal and leave him on an island and dedicate the safety help to the run game or blitzing or zone help elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

Smith is the most overrated player on the roster and not worth $6 mil/yr (or even $5mil). He's a liability in any situation. How many times have we seen him beat on crossing routes, or schooled on comeback routes? On 3rd down, he's the most targeted DB on our team (not Nolan Carroll, or any other stiff we've plugged in at CB), and that should speak volumes.

Let him walk, let's sign a FA and draft one or two. We would be better off.

We can debate this all we want, but it's pretty simple what they are going to do. They are going to make a reasonable offer to both and if they won't budge, then they can go the F/A market. They are good, not great players and contribute just not at level that's going to make us a playoff, let alone a SB team. While both made some very good plays for us all season long, the bigger questions are: How many TD's did Hartline score? How many TO's or HUGE stops did Clemons make? Good players should get good salaries, not GREAT ones.

I agree with them targeting these two first. IMO, Hartline is the biggest must re-sign because of his chemistry with Tannehill. That obviously doesn't mean he's our only move at WR, though.

Ideally, I would love a big playmaker in the secondary to go along with Jones but Clemons is very solid and it's nice to have some continuity between the two safeties. I doubt he's asking for a lot which is why it makes sense to take care of him before free agency actually hits, as well.

I have to applaud you CK, at least you are consistent. I remember you giving the Dolphins a "F" grade for the Brian Hartline pick in your draft recap in 2009 and blasted him for being too "gangsta" for the team. Not surprised that you still don't like him even after a 1,000 yard season, after all you projected him as a special teams player in the NFL.

LOL. Nice attempt at a cheap shot. You mean someone was wrong about a 4th round pick? Whaaaaa? That's NEVER happened before! So strange...

By 2 WR I mean TOP WR, not players after round 3 and no FA bs like NaNaee. I am tlaking about pure gamers not bums.

$20 bet says if we get Hartline, we will drft a WR in the 1st round or sign someone like Wallace or jennings, we wont sign another GOOD WR or draft ANOTHER one with our 1st.
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom