Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this is looking obvious for the bye week. If Thurs/Fri was on the table I think they'd of announced it already. The window is closing for prep.

Sucks from a football standpoint, but from the more important standpoint of humanity.... It's the best decision. Don't care what anyone says. There are 106 players on these two teams, coaching staffs, etc. That need to be with their families.

Let's not forget Tampa might get slammed too.

I am shocked That people think this game should be played and are worrying about a bye week, if this hurricane is as bad as they say who knows when any games will be played at hard rock. All I can think is that they are not Floridians and have no clue.

My thoughts are with you guys and your families in SoFla.

I'm in "Serenity Now" mode, feels like yesterday going through the vicious Matthew. We still have areas not fully recovered. One of the prime eating establishments/areas in Ponce Inlet just re-opened last month after the damage. Any ideas of hosting the game after storm passes is not going to be possible. Most roads will be unsafe driving if it does make landfall.

Just be safe and remain calm out there.

Where in Ponce Inlet? Spend many summers over there at Atlantica.

21369375_1525636854168456_181841239248887215_n.png

Being a Floridian since the late 70's along with sailing experience to the Caribbean you get to know these things first hand.

You can also watch the models and the only thing that truly effects the strength of a hurricane this size is large land mass or elevation.
I would think water temperatures, with the islands interrupting that, plus the rate of speed that the storm is taking would have to be taken account of. I know once the storms make major landfall they usually speed up significantly, which would be a good thing for all. Thankfully being based in New England these things are rare for us.

Click on this link, move the timeline on the bottom of the screen to Monday, and let me know if you still think the same thing.

https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-11-12,24.107,-76.772,6
That is based on current path which is still uncertain. If these undeveloped weather pattern or the jet stream do not dip south like they are predicting then this hurricane can pass right over cuba and then curve toward Mobile in which case it could be a nice day in Miami on Monday. My only point is the likely hood they move the game somewhere else is not good, so before the NFL postpones the game and move it to the bye week, lets wait a day or so.

She's taking a Matthew like turn now, but recent flyovers have her clocking in at 184 mph.

Dear God.

I'm really hoping this game is moved to bye week. This isn't a joke and players, coaches, fans, non-fans, EVERYONE should be taking this storm very seriously and be afforded the time to properly perpare or evacuate.

You're going to start seeing evacuation notices come Thursday if current track doesn't change.

I would think water temperatures, with the islands interrupting that, plus the rate of speed that the storm is taking would have to be taken account of. I know once the storms make major landfall they usually speed up significantly, which would be a good thing for all. Thankfully being based in New England these things are rare for us.

Warm temperatures help increase a hurricanes strength. Once Irma entered the warmer waters near the Caribbean it jumped for a Cat 3 to a 5 in less than 24 hours.

Last edited:
BTW, for those thinking about the islands. My dad was in the Air Force so I used to live in Puerto Rico when I was a kid. Homes there are all made of blocks and concrete including the roofs which are all flat. 90% of those homes it'd take more than a cat 5 to destroy those homes. Windows yes but the walls and roof, no so in a sense they're way better build for it than the ones up here. Haiti, Dominican Republic and Cuba have more weak homes thought. Also, we're all talking about the storm winds but rain, flooding and of course the big potential for tornadoes is just as dangerous. Irma is a bitch!!

Ozzy rules!!

For what it's worth and no matter which way it goes people will get hurt but over the last 12 hours the official forcast has been shifted slightly to the south.
030008_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

145233_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind 2.png

The question is if the ridge to the north is strong enough to keep it on a western track or if it turns earlier and slips into the incoming gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom