Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins / Hurricane Irma thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious at this point that the game will be moved to bye week. Moving the game to Thursday isn't gonna happen; I'd be shocked if that's the decision.

Playing it this Sunday at neutral site also seems highly unlikely. It would be a distraction to players who will be concerned with the storm ripping up their hometown as the game is being played.
Which is why you move it to a neutral site and play it prior to the storm hitting S Florida. Its not going to matter where in the world Miami area residents are Sunday because they're going to be thinking about what's happening at home.

Some notes on Andrew and the approach Dolphins took and aftermath.

Effect on professional sports[edit]
As Hurricane Andrew approached, Miami Dolphins head coach Don Shula canceled a 1-hour practice, the weekly post-game news conference, and the film review meetings. Plans to trim the roster from 70 to 60 players were put on hold.[84] However, the Dolphins were able to meet the New Orleans Saints, who were also effected by Andrew, at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore for a pre-season game on August 27.[85] Due to the amount of devastation and fearing heavy criticism if they played a home game only 13 days after Andrew, the Miami Dolphins postponed their game against the New England Patriots, scheduled for September 7. The game was instead held on October 18 and both teams moved their bye-week to Week 1. The Dolphins thus had their season opening on the run against the Cleveland Browns on September 14, while the home opener was held on September 20 against the Los Angeles Rams.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Andrew_in_Florida

'These are things that can't be addressed until after the hurricane hits,'' Greene said. ''It depends on the airports, roads, damage and personal considerations. We have to wait and see all the ramifications. At this point we're just concerned with everybody's personal safety.''

With practice wiped out Sunday and today, the Dolphins would have only one day to prepare for the exhibition. Greene said the team has not yet contacted league officials.

''I think the league knows we're getting hit with a hurricane,'' Greene said.

Although Louis Oliver joked Saturday, ''There can be bricks, trees and people flying around, you can bet we'll be practicing,'' common sense prevailed Sunday.

The day after games is usually spent watching tapes, but most Dolphins were glued to their televisions, watching weather maps.

''At this point, the players' primary concern should be their families,'' Shula said Sunday afternoon. ''I am sending them home early today and telling them to remain there until further notice.''

''I've never been through anything like this,'' said Jim Jensen, a 12-year veteran and the team's elder statesman. ''It's kind of weird. I thought we might be leaving for Baltimore today, but I'm just glad to be with my family. There's not much you can do in a crisis situation like this.''

Most Dolphins live in the western part of Broward and Dade counties and were not required to evacuate. Greene said he did not think any players live in the evacuation zones.

''We will monitor the situation to determine when the players will report back to camp,'' Shula said. ''But right now their responsibility to their families is the most important priority.''
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-08-24/sports/9208240134_1_dolphins-hurricane-andrew-shula

Last edited:
Someone translate to simple terms on what this means for Dade/Broward, lol

Freaking out over here and I have to work at least until Thursday

That is based on current path which is still uncertain. If these undeveloped weather pattern or the jet stream do not dip south like they are predicting then this hurricane can pass right over cuba and then curve toward Mobile in which case it could be a nice day in Miami on Monday. My only point is the likely hood they move the game somewhere else is not good, so before the NFL postpones the game and move it to the bye week, lets wait a day or so.

I strongly believe we'll have an answer on the game by days end. There's little time to wait and see from a safety point of view.

Thoughts and prayers to all of you that could be hit by this beast.

If they relocate and play on Sunday they could also live stream the destruction of player's, coaches, and fan's homes getting destroyed in South Florida on the jumbotron in real time.

C'mon people. Think a little.

"-And the crowd goes wild as Senorise Perry scores a TD just minutes after live footage of the young player's home flying through the skies was shown on the big screen! What a game, folks! Of course, our condolences go to all the players and fans whose lives are being wrecked as we speak. But look how they cheer! Football indeed has brought them a moment of respite from this tragedy.

-I think the cheers might be drowning out the crying, Phil, but at least Perry's making 465 grand this year... unless he's cut next week, that is.

-Now, that would be a tragedy!"

I strongly believe we'll have an answer on the game by days end. There's little time to wait and see from a safety point of view.
I don't believe there will be a rush to make announcement if the plan is to move it to week 11, situation may (hopefully) improve. If they plan on a neutral site I bet we hear an announcement soon.

Someone translate to simple terms on what this means for Dade/Broward, lol

Freaking out over here and I have to work at least until Thursday

Best advice I can give you is do not go by any models and prepare for a direct hit. Hurricanes are very unpredictable and you must be ready for the worst.

I am shocked That people think this game should be played and are worrying about a bye week, if this hurricane is as bad as they say who knows when any games will be played at hard rock. All I can think is that they are not Floridians and have no clue.

On the contrary, I think the people I see on the internet freaking out the most are non-Floridians. Acting like everybody in Miami is going to be dead on Monday morning.

It's going to suck, but we'll still be on the map.

If it is moved to the bye week, we would have to face running back Doug Martin which we would not have to do this week.

Which is why you move it to a neutral site and play it prior to the storm hitting S Florida. Its not going to matter where in the world Miami area residents are Sunday because they're going to be thinking about what's happening at home.

I'm sorry, what's your reasoning behind moving it to a neutral site with a few days notice?

I think its clear to most of us that the negatives far outweigh the positives in that scenario.

I am shocked That people think this game should be played and are worrying about a bye week, if this hurricane is as bad as they say who knows when any games will be played at hard rock. All I can think is that they are not Floridians and have no clue.

I am a Floridian that went through Andrew. I'm not there now, but my parents are. The game absolutely should be played. Either Thursday (although every hour that passes makes that less likely), or on Sunday in Atlanta. Houston is playing at home this weekend.

I think that would be a mistake. Preparation for this storm won't stop just because the NFL hasn't made a decision on a game. If they made the decision tomorrow evening it should not effect preparation or safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom