Dolphins Interested in Signing OT Sebastian Vollmer | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Interested in Signing OT Sebastian Vollmer

I hope this is right, that the Dolphins are "actively, and aggressively in the offensive line market."

A good sign, if true.

I don't like what it says about Vollmer and his back issues though. We could be facing a Jake Long part II if we sign him. I love Vollmer overall though. And if he is healthy and plays RT for the Fins this year, it would help in regular season with all the good LDEs that we face.

LD

Nice summation CK -- and general agreement. Just a few responses:

1. I don't disagree that Hartline, Bess and Gibson may be better than Hartline, Bess and _________ last year. However, my point is that Hartline, Bess and Gibson will be slower than what we had last year [last year's number threes were not as slow as Gibson], hence all the issues with the constricted field will remain. So, unless they improve the WR corps with skill and talent beyond Wallace, without him, the offense is going to struggle almost as badly as last year -- perhaps more. Because it will NOT have Bush, even though it will have Keller. So it's even worse than you stated, imo: You say that they have currently improved the offense at the expense of the defense. No question. But if Wallace goes down, and there is no addition of real skill at WR, then the offense is potentially worse also.

LD

I mean I do get this point...in the sense that I still want to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds and have them be a playmaker. BUT, to argue our WR core could be worse if Wallace goes down is ridiculous. First, Gibson is better than any #3 we had last year. Secondly, you can't just ignore Mike Wallace....he is part of the WR core now and arguably our best offensive player...of course we would struggle if he gets hurt. We are in a much better position this year at WR than we were last year...and its not even close.
I mean if Cam Wake gets hurt our pass rush is nothing...if Reshad Jones gets hurt we lost our best safety...if Mike Pouncey gets hurt we lose our best lineman. You can say those things about just about any position

I mean I do get this point...in the sense that I still want to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds and have them be a playmaker. BUT, to argue our WR core could be worse if Wallace goes down is ridiculous. First, Gibson is better than any #3 we had last year. Secondly, you can't just ignore Mike Wallace....he is part of the WR core now and arguably our best offensive player...of course we would struggle if he gets hurt. We are in a much better position this year at WR than we were last year...and its not even close.
I mean if Cam Wake gets hurt our pass rush is nothing...if Reshad Jones gets hurt we lost our best safety...if Mike Pouncey gets hurt we lose our best lineman. You can say those things about just about any position

1. It may not be "worse" but it will be SLOWER than last year -- with all the attendant issues that slowness caused our offense ALL YEAR, with great football minds laughing and saying, "Miami plays in the redzone the whole way down the field because their WRs are so slow." And it was TRUE. And if Wallace goes down, the same is still true. Slow. "Better" won't mean much when the field gets constricted again.

2. Big time players getting hurt is why it is IMPERATIVE to draft well and acquire talent up and down the board. AND at the skill positions most of all. WE NEED a great DE to play the right side. NO QUESTION. But we also need to draft upcoming DE talent, so that there is skilled depth waiting in the wings.

Just because we have one fast, skilled number 1 WR doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to find a 1A to go with him... that could conceivably step up and carry the 1 load if Wallace is nicked.

Your response misses the point of how teams get great, imo.

LD

WEll, this is easy, if we sign Winston that means coaching believe Martin can play left tackle, if they don't is because they are looking for a left tackle

1. It may not be "worse" but it will be SLOWER than last year -- with all the attendant issues that slowness caused our offense ALL YEAR, with great football minds laughing and saying, "Miami plays in the redzone the whole way down the field because their WRs are so slow." And it was TRUE. And if Wallace goes down, the same is still true. Slow. "Better" won't mean much when the field gets constricted again.

2. Big time players getting hurt is why it is IMPERATIVE to draft well and acquire talent up and down the board. AND at the skill positions most of all. WE NEED a great DE to play the right side. NO QUESTION. But we also need to draft upcoming DE talent, so that there is skilled depth waiting in the wings.

Just because we have one fast, skilled number 1 WR doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to find a 1A to go with him... that could conceivably step up and carry the 1 load if Wallace is nicked.

Your response misses the point of how teams get great, imo.

LD

No I agree we need another playmaker at the WR position, I was just stating that its more because we need better overall talent and less to do with Mike Wallace getting hurt or not. We could draft Tavon Austin at 12 and if Mike Wallace gets hurt its still going to have a huge effect. I just didn't see the point of looking at our WR core without its best WR. We just need talent at WR

Why? We have 11 of them......

Just my opinion 11 picks is nice but no need to get a tackle early when a couple solid ones are in FA. Same with pass rusher.

There are not many good guards in FA left and same with corner (All the corners are pretty much old)

With the first 3 picks I expect to have 2 corners in it and a guard. (As long as we sign a tackle and pass rusher)

We still have the money to add a few pieces in FA. I would add a OT and a CB. Vollmer is a great addition but I'd definitely want him at LT. I'm much more comfortable letting Martin work on his power at Tannehill's front side. Honestly I expected Vollmer to be too expensive, but if he's affordable, get him. Ireland has played this Free Agency period well and the Salary Cap well. But,we NEED an OT and a CB. I'd add Tracy Porter at CB.

I'm not as convinced as most of our need for a top notch DL. I would either add a reasonably priced veteran or grab one in the draft, but not both. What we need to do is resign who we have before next offseason, and lock up Reshad Jones now.

I would.focus this draft on building around Tannehill. We lack size mismatches in the red zone and speed outside of the red zone. Let's address that. In a perfect world we could slide back from #12 and up from #42 to grab Minnesota #23 and #25 to select Tyler Eifert and Justin Hunter. Size and speed issues addressed. Then add Ryan Swope at #54 and we have a fast explosive receiving corps to grow alongside Tannehill for.years to.come.

With one veteran CB, grab someone like Jordan Poyer (zone ballhawk) or Logan Ryan in the 3rd and we have improved the defense. Most people will look at our scoring defense, yards allowed and run defense and think we haven't improved,.but remember, last year's defense was the worst Dolphin defense EVER at producing takeaways. The main non-producers have all been replaced, both CB's, 2/3 of.our LB corps. The only culprits not replaced were Misi and Clemons who was only given a 1 year contract.

But, everything about this plan implodes if we have to draft an OT in the 1st round. Preferably we can draft a G/T like Justin Pugh in the 3rd and a G like Brian Winters in the 4th if they are there.

well if vollmer happens i sure hope there is a clause in his contract for medical with his back that we can get out in a few years...cause i've been told his back outlook is not a good one...

Just my opinion 11 picks is nice but no need to get a tackle early when a couple solid ones are in FA. Same with pass rusher.

There are not many good guards in FA left and same with corner (All the corners are pretty much old)

With the first 3 picks I expect to have 2 corners in it and a guard. (As long as we sign a tackle and pass rusher)

11 picks are great but unless there is good drafting done on the high end of those picks, you are just left with marginal and mediocre players -- or late blooming players -- fighting for 4-5 roster spots, and end up cutting players that go on to become good players in the league, or end up giving roster space to players just because you drafted them, etc. Lots of picks are great but to trade off some of those picks for even 1 or 2 rounds higher is wise, imo. IF you don't use those higher picks on complete wastes like Egnew, lol.

LD

We still have the money to add a few pieces in FA. I would add a OT and a CB. Vollmer is a great addition but I'd definitely want him at LT. I'm much more comfortable letting Martin work on his power at Tannehill's front side. Honestly I expected Vollmer to be too expensive, but if he's affordable, get him. Ireland has played this Free Agency period well and the Salary Cap well. But,we NEED an OT and a CB. I'd add Tracy Porter at CB.

I'm not as convinced as most of our need for a top notch DL. I would either add a reasonably priced veteran or grab one in the draft, but not both. What we need to do is resign who we have before next offseason, and lock up Reshad Jones now.

I would.focus this draft on building around Tannehill. We lack size mismatches in the red zone and speed outside of the red zone. Let's address that. In a perfect world we could slide back from #12 and up from #42 to grab Minnesota #23 and #25 to select Tyler Eifert and Justin Hunter. Size and speed issues addressed. Then add Ryan Swope at #54 and we have a fast explosive receiving corps to grow alongside Tannehill for.years to.come.

With one veteran CB, grab someone like Jordan Poyer (zone ballhawk) or Logan Ryan in the 3rd and we have improved the defense. Most people will look at our scoring defense, yards allowed and run defense and think we haven't improved,.but remember, last year's defense was the worst Dolphin defense EVER at producing takeaways. The main non-producers have all been replaced, both CB's, 2/3 of.our LB corps. The only culprits not replaced were Misi and Clemons who was only given a 1 year contract.

But, everything about this plan implodes if we have to draft an OT in the 1st round. Preferably we can draft a G/T like Justin Pugh in the 3rd and a G like Brian Winters in the 4th if they are there.

That's an interesting draft philosophy, imo. Good stuff! I agree w. getting Tanny playmakers and fixing the redzone scoring issues especially. Not sure we have to move back to do that, but it's a good thought, building around Tannehill.

LD

Back
Top Bottom