Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dolphins on the clock, part deux… There is an eerie silence coming out of Miami where the clock is really starting to tick on the Dolphins who have the first pick overall at the upcoming draft. In the past, for example, teams holding the #1 pick in the draft would normally have had preliminary contract discussions with the players in the mix to be the first guy off the board. Indeed, even the team with the first pick hasn’t actually signed the player it intends t select, they have historically talked the parameters of any contract. While the team with the top pick usually remains pretty tight-lipped about any such talks, agents generally aren’t so secretive such that if any contract talks were in the works between the Dolphins and players like Virginia DE Chris Long, Michigan OT Jake Long or Boston College QB Matt Ryan we’d probably know by now. However, to date, there really don’t appear to have been any contacts between the Dolphins and this year’s top prospects.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins also given any more hints as to which players they are actually focusing in on. In spite of the lack of news coming out of Miami, there has been of a growing sense around the league that the Dolphins just may be starting to lean toward Michigan’s Long as the likely #1 pick. The fact that Virginia DE Chris Long, who has long been the consensus favorite to the first player selected, really doesn’t necessarily represent a very good fit with the Dolphins’ defensive scheme, especially if they opt to shift to a 3-4. At the same time, the Dolphins have a desperate need at OT where Vernon Carey is the only potential starter on the roster. As we said, stay tuned.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

thanks and good stuff Jim - I think I've read where we're of the same thinking - let's go offensive line early and often this year! :)

They were talking about this on the NFL Network, and discussing how much of it could be a smokescreen. Jake Long has become the "Hot" name according to Casserly and Mayok. Knowing that there are at least 3 teams below Miami in the top 5 interested in Long is Miami trying to force a trade if one of those teams want him bad enough?

Personally I think Jake Long would be the best pick for us and could anchor the line for the next 10+ years, but who knows what they will actually do in 19 days.

Jake Long is a right tackle - he will be an incredible right tackle but he has no place at the top of any draft.

Jake Long is a right tackle - he will be an incredible right tackle but he has no place at the top of any draft.

Why is he a right tackle? He has dominated at LT for the past two years.

Why is he a right tackle? He has dominated at LT for the past two years.

College football doesn't really have too much to do with what happens in the pros. It is how the prospect projects to the next level as to where he is taken. Jake Long is a right tackle, pure and simple. He will be a great right tackle, probably the best drafted in some years, but you don't take right tackles at the top of the draft.

Basically, Long just doesn't have the feet to play at LT - he is super strong with great height and with long arms, but is as nimble as a statue. If Michael Oher had of come out this year he would project far better as a LT compared to Long. In passing situations the LT has to display great finesse and that requires the dancing feet of a Fred Astaire. It is an extremely rare skill set that has this in the package of someone who is 6 foot 7 and as strong as an ox. Someone like Oher has it, but Jake Long does not.

Basically Long's measurables are fantastic, except in one area - his speed. He won't go number one for that reason.

Except this one evidently - there may be some out there, but I haven't seen a mock anywhere that has him going lower than KC at number 5. With most have him going no lower than St Louis at 2.

If at worse we end up with an "incredible" right tackle for 10 years, sign me up. I just don't see a player in this particular draft that offers us something more definite. If he's as good as advertised, even as a right tackle - he'll provide an immediate upgrade and benefit Beck and our running game from day one.

jmo....

Jake Long? According to my sources (the sporting news) Jake Long will be available at the 32nd pick why would you take him No.1 if he is going to fall that far.
The big guy Ryan Clady from Boise State is rated now as the top Tackle in the draft.

Jake Long has been projected at right tackle. If we take a right tackle with the top pick we will be the laughing stock of the NFL>

Wait... Jason Taylor is prancing around in balerina tights and a g-string.

WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL!

WITH THE FIRST PICK THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT RYAN CLADY RT BOISE STATE

He has the same makeup as Joe Thomas had last year...he played two years as a LT and two years as a RT...he played against top competition....and he's one mean SOB...I'll take him and not think twice.

Except this one evidently - there may be some out there, but I haven't seen a mock anywhere that has him going lower than KC at number 5. With most have him going no lower than St Louis at 2.

If at worse we end up with an "incredible" right tackle for 10 years, sign me up. I just don't see a player in this particular draft that offers us something more definite. If he's as good as advertised, even as a right tackle - he'll provide an immediate upgrade and benefit Beck and our running game from day one.

jmo....

Shyte....thanked you for your post when I meant to quote it!

The issue is that 'incredible' right tackles can be found late in the first round or early in the second. The skill set for right tackles is much more common than that for left tackles, hence why the market values them the way that it does.

The two best players in this draft are Chris Long and Run DMC hands down. Are they a 'fit' for the Dolphins? No, but that doesn't mean the Phins should waste a number one pick on a RT in a draft that is particularly deep at the OT positions.

I think the Phins go defence first anyway - they realise that there is great value at the OT positions in the middle rounds. This is one of the best OT classes in terms of depth in living memory.

He has the same makeup as Joe Thomas had last year...he played two years as a LT and two years as a RT...he played against top competition....and he's one mean SOB...I'll take him and not think twice.

Actually, Joe Thomas has shorter arms and has 'less' of a LT build than Jake Long. But Thomas has the feet of a ballerina compared to Long's feet of clay.

Actually, Joe Thomas has shorter arms and has 'less' of a LT build than Jake Long. But Thomas has the feet of a ballerina compared to Long's feet of clay.

Sorry...Hogwash.

When you compare the stats...Long has better times in short area's...than Thomas...the Dolphins don't need Ballerina's....they need road hogs...and No one is better than J. Long...in clearing the road.

Sorry...Hogwash.

When you compare the stats...Long has better times in short area's...than Thomas...the Dolphins don't need Ballerina's....they need road hogs...and No one is better than J. Long...in clearing the road.

:lol:

I find that funny - you haven't looked at any Jake Long tape if that's your view. Long is a road-grader, no doubt, but every scout's take on him is that he lacks the lateral speed to protect his QB's blindside. If he is forced to play LT watch him turn into Robert Gallery Mk 2.

Long isn't the prospect Joe Thomas was - and Thomas has shorter arms which should discount him from being a 'great' Left Tackle.

Back
Top Bottom