Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

Welp, looks like the Big Tuna and Ireland have Spoken..

Get ready for Big Jake in Miami, Hungover...:up:

if everyone knows that Thomas is so much better, how on earth could Jake Long win the offensive lineman of the year over Joe Thomas?

Conversing with you is like talking to a brick wall - Jake Long could win the Nobel Prize for Offensive Tackles and he still wouldn't be as good as Joe Thomas.

Everyone in scouting knows it - it's how you translate to the NFL that matters, not how many awards you win at college level.

College football doesn't really have too much to do with what happens in the pros. It is how the prospect projects to the next level as to where he is taken. Jake Long is a right tackle, pure and simple. He will be a great right tackle, probably the best drafted in some years, but you don't take right tackles at the top of the draft.

Basically, Long just doesn't have the feet to play at LT - he is super strong with great height and with long arms, but is as nimble as a statue. If Michael Oher had of come out this year he would project far better as a LT compared to Long. In passing situations the LT has to display great finesse and that requires the dancing feet of a Fred Astaire. It is an extremely rare skill set that has this in the package of someone who is 6 foot 7 and as strong as an ox. Someone like Oher has it, but Jake Long does not.

The truth of the matter is that none of us know for sure. We base our opinions on what little we see on Saturdays and on a lot of what we hear from the "experts." However, the "experts" are often wrong. Your opinion is good and you could be right...but you could be wrong.

Conversing with you is like talking to a brick wall - Jake Long could win the Nobel Prize for Offensive Tackles and he still wouldn't be as good as Joe Thomas.

Everyone in scouting knows it - it's how you translate to the NFL that matters, not how many awards you win at college level.

Hungover, please understand that I am not trying to disagree with you or say you are wrong. I just have an issue with your "certainty" on this matter. Let's say you were the head of scouting for the dolphins...I would still have a problem with how you are downplaying Long. I don't think you are saying he is bad just not as good as Thomas. None of us will know that until their careers are over.

This argument is getting inane...I would prefer Chris Long...but Jake Long fills a need...I think he'll be a fine left tackle and there is no doubting this is a need.
Most importantly, both the Rams and Falcons are enamored with Jake Long...as a left tackle...so this could be done to stir a trade...regardless...the Joe Thomas argument is irrelevant...different player...different year...Personally, I wonder about the knees of Joe Thomas...both of which have braces I believe. Point being...you can find a flaw with every player...and when you don't...see Johnson, Calvin...you often overrate the player.

This argument is getting inane...I would prefer Chris Long...but Jake Long fills a need...I think he'll be a fine left tackle and there is no doubting this is a need.
Most importantly, both the Rams and Falcons are enamored with Jake Long...as a left tackle...so this could be done to stir a trade...regardless...the Joe Thomas argument is irrelevant...different player...different year...Personally, I wonder about the knees of Joe Thomas...both of which have braces I believe. Point being...you can find a flaw with every player...and when you don't...see Johnson, Calvin...you often overrate the player.

Exactly. If Jake Long is the pick it will be a good one and I feel he will serve the dolphins nicely over his career.

some scouts may be of that opinion, but it isn't fact. until Jake plays in the pros, NO ONE knows how he translates to that level. one thing for sure, Jake has had a better college career. as of now, there was only one time when they were judged with all things being equal. when the two were compared side by side in 2006, Jake Long was judged to be better. that is fact, not opinion.

It's kind of funny, but people on this board are SO convinced of "their" pick that they can’t see the writing on the wall:

Why in the name of all that is holy, would Parcells/Ireland even entertain Jake Long at #1 if they were not 100% sure that he could be a LT?

So let me put this in perspective... Two of the most well respected talent evaluators IN ALL OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL and leaders of the football team that most here profess to love consider Jake Long a LT worth the #1 overall pick. Yet all the Jake Long detractors on this board (usually the Chris Long ballbathers) need SOMETHING to bash JLong for so they cling desperately to the ridiculous notion that JLong is some how a RT. Now where would they get this idea? From hours of dedicated film study? Interviews with coaches and scouts? Divine prophecy? NO! Like a clueless bobblehead, many simply reiterate the inaccuracies that have spewed forth from Mayock's mouth.

So rather than trust in the (finally) competent leadership of this franchise, people chose to recite the poor analysis of a tired TV personality. Squawk on, noble parrots! Just prepare yourself come draft day.

It's kind of funny, but people on this board are SO convinced of "their" pick that they can’t see the writing on the wall:

Why in the name of all that is holy, would Parcells/Ireland even entertain Jake Long at #1 if they were not 100% sure that he could be a LT?

So let me put this in perspective... Two of the most well respected talent evaluators IN ALL OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL and leaders of the football team that most here profess to love consider Jake Long a LT worth the #1 overall pick. Yet all the Jake Long detractors on this board (usually the Chris Long ballbathers) need SOMETHING to bash JLong for so they cling desperately to the ridiculous notion that JLong is some how a RT. Now where would they get this idea? From hours of dedicated film study? Interviews with coaches and scouts? Divine prophecy? NO! Like a clueless bobblehead, many simply reiterate the inaccuracies that have spewed forth from Mayock's mouth.

So rather than trust in the (finally) competent leadership of this franchise, people chose to recite the poor analysis of a tired TV personality. Squawk on, noble parrots! Just prepare yourself come draft day.

The best thing about J.Long bashers is they say you can't pay a RT #1 money but somehow on the other hand they can justify paying a OLB #1 money.

I could state that C.Long can only be effective on 1st and 2nd downs because that's the same statement as J.Long is a RT, seems pretty stupid all around doesn't it.

Jake Long? According to my sources (the sporting news) Jake Long will be available at the 32nd pick why would you take him No.1 if he is going to fall that far.
The big guy Ryan Clady from Boise State is rated now as the top Tackle in the draft.

Jake Long has been projected at right tackle. If we take a right tackle with the top pick we will be the laughing stock of the NFL>

Wait... Jason Taylor is prancing around in balerina tights and a g-string.

WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL!

WITH THE FIRST PICK THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT RYAN CLADY RT BOISE STATE

HA HA!!! No Matty Ice for you. Here is a song especially for you while you think of your precious Matty Ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwyjmSbJPs

First off...all this Jake Long vs Joe Thomas talk is conjecture. Nobody knows until they are both playing in the pros. FWIW, Long won the Big 10's top O-lineman award over Thomas and likely would have been at worst a top 5 pick (Cards) in the 2007 draft. Right now, the stars are aligning for Long to be the pick. He plays the position of our greatest (being we do not have a RT on the roster) whereas the other top players (Dorsey, C. Long and Gholston) require a projection to the pros from their college positions. As well, as of this writing, both C. Long and Gholston project to the position played by our lone truly elite player (Taylor).When spending $30 million+ in guarantees, it's just as important not to bust as it is to hit with an all pro player. By drafting J. Long we are almost assured he'll at worst be a pro bowl caliber RT thus in turn securing our monumental financial commitment.

To add to that, Jake long played in a zone blocking scheme the last 2 years but has also played and is more comfortable imo in the man scheme the Dolphins are going to run making him even more valuable than he has shown on film. Some of those misteps that most people are talking about are him trying to move in space to get to his zone. It is really a big difference between the 2...think of the small quick lineman for the Broncos zone blocking and it's easy to see why Long is best suited for the man scheme run by the Fins if you have watched him at all.

Back
Top Bottom