Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

so, given that Jake Long's agility drill times are better than Joe Thomas', how can anyone say he has slow feet? someone may think they see slow feet on film, but when quantified, they are found to be plenty quick.

FFS, every man and his dog knows that Jake Long is slower than Joe Thomas, especially where it counts, on the field.

If you are going to debate the merits or non-merits of Jake Long use the facts. Jake Long is not now and nor ever will be as quick on his feet as Joe Thomas. That is a stone-cold fact you can't dispute.

Here is the view of one of the people that run the draftdaddy.com website:

"Ya know how many sacks Robert Gallery gave up in his entire college career? zero.

Jake Long is a good prospect but in a different draft he wouldn't be a top 5 pick. He'd be a great RT but only above average LT. he will go high because of supply and demand but remember people thought this guy would run a 4.8 at the combine but he ran a 5.1. He doesn't have elite athleticism. Joe Thomas and DBrick are both better pass protectors. Long is better than both at run blocking but you don't draft a left tackle for run blocking and you don't draft right tackles in the top 3."

so, given that Jake Long's agility drill times are better than Joe Thomas', how can anyone say he has slow feet? someone may think they see slow feet on film, but when quantified, they are found to be plenty quick.

the issue is balance and change of direction

people need to back off the combine crap, the proof is in the game tape

Here is the view of one of the people that run the draftdaddy.com website:

"Ya know how many sacks Robert Gallery gave up in his entire college career? zero.

Jake Long is a good prospect but in a different draft he wouldn't be a top 5 pick. He'd be a great RT but only above average LT. he will go high because of supply and demand but remember people thought this guy would run a 4.8 at the combine but he ran a 5.1. He doesn't have elite athleticism. Joe Thomas and DBrick are both better pass protectors. Long is better than both at run blocking but you don't draft a left tackle for run blocking and you don't draft right tackles in the top 3."

I agree if my future LT doesn't run ATLEAST a 4.8 he's no athlete and he sucks. Ryan Clady is considered a better LT prospect and ran an improved 40 at the combine at 5.18 .... well that throws that out the window he sucks too.

I agree if my future LT doesn't run ATLEAST a 4.8 he's no athlete and he sucks. Ryan Clady is considered a better LT prospect and ran an improved 40 at the combine at 5.18 .... well that throws that out the window he sucks too.

Again, you are going too much by combine numbers - what matters is lateral movement and Long only has very average feet. Every scout and draftnik worth their salt knows this - why are you doubting them?

FFS, every man and his dog knows that Jake Long is slower than Joe Thomas, especially where it counts, on the field.

If you are going to debate the merits or non-merits of Jake Long use the facts. Jake Long is not now and nor ever will be as quick on his feet as Joe Thomas. That is a stone-cold fact you can't dispute.

if Jake has such slower feet, how on earth could he run the 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle faster?

the issue is balance and change of direction

people need to back off the combine crap, the proof is in the game tape

you mean the game tape of him stoning every speed rusher except for that one guy on that one play? (I don't know who beat him his freshman year and whether it was speed or not)

you mean the game tape of him stoning every speed rusher except for that one guy on that one play? (I don't know who beat him his freshman year and whether it was speed or not)

Gholston monstered him on one play last season - there is footage of it on youtube somewhere.

if Jake has such slower feet, how on earth could he run the 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle faster?

As I said, ever scout worth their salt knows that Long isn't Joe Thomas - you can quote combine numbers until you are blue in the mouth - the fact of the matter is Jake Long will be a stellar right tackle, but only a very average LT.

Robert Gallery stoned his share I am sure

there will be a RT available at #32 who played LT in college and "stoned" his share of elite pass rushers too

Gholston monstered him on one play last season - there is footage of it on youtube somewhere.

one play? that's all you got? what about the other 50 plays in that game? what about the other 50 plays in '06? or in Gholston's freshman year?

Robert Gallery stoned his share I am sure

there will be a RT available at #32 who played LT in college and "stoned" his share of elite pass rushers too

you wouldn't happen to have any names that should be there and the elite pass rushers they faced would you? whoever is there at #32 won't have the resume of Jake Long and anyone who stopped elite rushers will be gone by then. hey, you're the one who said the proof is in the game tape. watch him against Harvey, Carriker and Avril. it's an easy thing to say "he's slow", but the facts on film prove otherwise. you only discount strong combine performances when the player didn't produce on the field. in this case, they bolster the game tape.

With the number of LBs we are bringing in currently that will be available in the later rounds like Groves etc it is appearing Miami is moving from the Chris Long camp to someone else like Jake Long, Ryan. Lets apply the logic. There are lots OT's in this draft but will one be available that can start at 32 maybe. Is Ryan ready to start ahead of Beck maybe or maybe not but we need to give Beck enough snaps to find out and can that happen picking Ryan first probably not. So I would love to trade down in the first round and I am sure the Dolphins would too and grab another OT but if we cannot then the Jake Long pick is looking more likly all the time.

As I said, ever scout worth their salt knows that Long isn't Joe Thomas - you can quote combine numbers until you are blue in the mouth - the fact of the matter is Jake Long will be a stellar right tackle, but only a very average LT.

if everyone knows that Thomas is so much better, how on earth could Jake Long win the offensive lineman of the year over Joe Thomas?

one play? that's all you got? what about the other 50 plays in that game? what about the other 50 plays in '06? or in Gholston's freshman year?

Are you thick? I was just pointing to the one time I can remember him getting beaten last season - and it was only the one time.

I've never doubted Jake Long as a college player - he is a great college player - but he won't be a great LT in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom