Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

To add to that, very rarely does the OT position at the top of the draft get a bust like Gallery or Mandarich. They usually are the least likely to not to fail. We need a major contributor on this team for the long term.

Mcfadden may be the best talent but that doesn't mean you take him at #1 based on our needs and the overall value to the franchise.

An example is Jordan Gross with the Panthers, they took him at #4 i think and expected him to play LT in the pros. He has been a very good RT and they just gave him big money to stay. At the LT spot he has been good but not at the top level RT. My point is that if this guy was a free agent right now, very good OT's (right or left side) are worth major $$$ and are being kept by every team for a reason. They are simply hard to find, and when you find one you don't even give him a chance to walk (making him a fixture on your team for a very long time) giving him tremendous value no matter what top pick we take him. It just happens to be at #1, if we were at #3/4 would anybody have a problem taking him?

During that Q&A with Sparano (which is all we have to go on since BP hasn't said anything) he admitted that they had NO ONE penciled in at starting RT!!! This would be a definition of a "Glaring Hole" on the offensive line of an NFL team which MUST be addressed with a player who can play NOW.

As we get closer to the draft, the fact that the Fins have made no moves to address this hole on the OLine looks like a clear indication that Jake Long will/should be the pick. Then either Long starts at LT and Carey moves to RT or they leave Carey at LT for now until Long gets a year or two experience and they move him there.

Sparano was/is an "OLine" guy and is probably salivating over a talent like JL but I'm sure he (just like BP) is playing it cool by not saying too much or mentioning names.

Jake Long hasn't played a single down in the NFL....

Duh... Chris Long has never played a single down at linebacker.. And he hasn't played a single down in the NFL either. And lo and behold, no player that will be drafted later this month has played in the NFL either....... Who woulda thunk it?????

But Jake Long did dominate players who are in the NFL now while he was in college.. Anthony Spencer, Adam Carriker to name a few (both 1st round picks in other years).. Not to mention someone who is tagged to be a first round pick this year in Derrick Harvey..

Harvey said that Jake Long is by far the best lineman he ever faced after the bowl game.. Jake Long just manhandled him all game long in the pass and the run, manhandled him like a rag doll.. Cliff Avril, projected to go in the late 1st to 2nd round this year, and has elite NFL 4.5 speed for his position, was also dominated by Jake Long this past season.

But let's not let facts get in the way of things.

Duh... Chris Long has never played a single down at linebacker.. And he hasn't played a single down in the NFL either. And lo and behold, no player that will be drafted later this month has played in the NFL either....... Who woulda thunk it?????

But Jake Long did dominate players who are in the NFL now while he was in college.. Anthony Spencer, Adam Carriker to name a few (both 1st round picks in other years).. Not to mention someone who is tagged to be a first round pick this year in Derrick Harvey..

Harvey said that Jake Long is by far the best lineman he ever faced after the bowl game.. Jake Long just manhandled him all game long in the pass and the run, manhandled him like a rag doll.. Cliff Avril, projected to go in the late 1st to 2nd round this year, and has elite NFL 4.5 speed for his position, was also dominated by Jake Long this past season.

Game. Set. Match.

Jake Long detractors, any further questions?

Robert Gallery dominated in college - he was the best college lineman in years - many had him an even better prospect than Orlando Pace. Look how that turned out. Gallery is a very good comparison for Jake Long - super strong with great measurables, except for the fact he plays like a statue with a bad case of turnstilitis.

If Jake Long does play LT at the next level he will rapidly find out the massive difference between college and the pros. EVERY player in the NFL is super quick, not just one or two.

I stated that Jake Long hadn't played a single down in the NFL in response to the statement that he was the equal of Joe Thomas - Joe Thomas is a far superior prospect at LT than Long will ever be, despite Thomas' short arms. Thomas had a stellar debut season because he is much more suited to play LT than Jake Long.

Jake Long did have an awesome college season - but then so did Reggie Bush leading into the '06 draft. Bush was not worth the number 2 pick in that superdraft, and now everyone knows it. You don't pay number 2 money for a glorified scat back, and you definitely don't pay number 1 money for someone who projects as a Right Tackle at the next level, you only pay number 1 money for a dead-set left tackle, which Jake Long most certainly is not.

These are facts that most certainly WILL get in the way of Miami drafting Jake Long.

Did someone say Game, Set and Match?

Robert Gallery dominated in college - he was the best college lineman in years - many had him an even better prospect than Orlando Pace. Look how that turned out. Gallery is a very good comparison for Jake Long - super strong with great measurables, except for the fact he plays like a statue with a bad case of turnstilitis.

If Jake Long does play LT at the next level he will rapidly find out the massive difference between college and the pros. EVERY player in the NFL is super quick, not just one or two.

I stated that Jake Long hadn't played a single down in the NFL in response to the statement that he was the equal of Joe Thomas - Joe Thomas is a far superior prospect at LT than Long will ever be, despite Thomas' short arms. Thomas had a stellar debut season because he is much more suited to play LT than Jake Long.

Jake Long did have an awesome college season - but then so did Reggie Bush leading into the '06 draft. Bush was not worth the number 2 pick in that superdraft, and now everyone knows it. You don't pay number 2 money for a glorified scat back, and you definitely don't pay number 1 money for someone who projects as a Right Tackle at the next level, you only pay number 1 money for a dead-set left tackle, which Jake Long most certainly is not.

These are facts that most certainly WILL get in the way of Miami drafting Jake Long.

Did someone say Game, Set and Match?

It's still game, set, and match...you lose.

Nice post, pal. Long on detail, well constructed and thought out.

:rolleyes2:

Feel free to look over any number of my posts on the subject. Your argument is far weaker than the other guy's, so it's a bit ironic that you would volley back the game, set, and match phrase. You got beat, plain and simple.

You still haven't addressed the fact that Jake Long agility drills numbers were better than Joe Thomas's. So basically the stone feet notion that your continually using to detract from Jake's value as a potential number 1 pick is a false one...

Jake had a flat out awesome combine...Strength numbers? Check. Agility numbers? Check.

Jake Long is left tackle. Has played there his entire career except his frosh year. Hell he's friggin left handed. That makes him more comfortable at the left tackle technique as is.

There isn't another tackle in this draft better. And even the ones who are ranked below, they will be flying of the draft board.

Why are you so stuck and sure on Chris Long? Why do you think he such a sure thing? Because he's not at all. Name one great football team that he dominated during his years in school. Them ACC teams were flat out garbage. Most of his highlights come from games against NC State and Wake Forest, and North Carolina.

The proability of Jake Long being a bust is lower than Chris Long. Again if he does flame out a Left Tackle, then you have one hell of a RT...Anyway you slice it, the guy will contribute at a posistion. Can't say the same for Chris Long.

You mention Robert Gallery? Yea in terms of being that franchise LT? Yea he's lived up to the 'bust' label. But ever since he's been moved to guard in that zone blocking scheme that the Raiders ran last year, he's been extremely effective at that spot. Again atleast the very worst he's been an adequate starter. WE NEED THAT. WE NEED A FLAT OUT GURANTEED QUALITY STARTER.

For that commiment of salary, we need a flat out non bust. So why not take Jake Long who you try out at 3 diffrent posistions if he flames out at another?

I just can't justify a team as talent devoid as Miami taking the risk on spending that much money on a 34 OLB...LT >>>>>>>>> OLB

LT IS THEE most important posisiton on the field not named QB.

We'd have to bookends at tackle for the next 10 years in Carey and Long...Who hoenstly wouldn't mind having that?

And back on Chris Long, again the kid is a 34 OLB. Who on earth would want to pay 34-35 million in gurantees for a 34 OLB? Who can seriously justify that?

I can't...

LT >>>>>>> 34 OLB x 10

Jake Long? According to my sources (the sporting news) Jake Long will be available at the 32nd pick why would you take him No.1 if he is going to fall that far.
The big guy Ryan Clady from Boise State is rated now as the top Tackle in the draft.

Jake Long has been projected at right tackle. If we take a right tackle with the top pick we will be the laughing stock of the NFL>

Wait... Jason Taylor is prancing around in balerina tights and a g-string.

WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL!

WITH THE FIRST PICK THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT RYAN CLADY RT BOISE STATE
Currently, Sporting News has Jake Long going #2 to the Rams in their latest mock. Their magazine's mock is way out of date.
Sporting News

You still haven't addressed the fact that Jake Long agility drills numbers were better than Joe Thomas's. So basically the stone feet notion that your continually using to detract from Jake's value as a potential number 1 pick is a false one...

Jake had a flat out awesome combine...Strength numbers? Check. Agility numbers? Check.

Jake Long is left tackle. Has played there his entire career except his frosh year. Hell he's friggin left handed. That makes him more comfortable at the left tackle technique as is.

There isn't another tackle in this draft better. And even the ones who are ranked below, they will be flying of the draft board.

Why are you so stuck and sure on Chris Long? Why do you think he such a sure thing? Because he's not at all. Name one great football team that he dominated during his years in school. Them ACC teams were flat out garbage. Most of his highlights come from games against NC State and Wake Forest, and North Carolina.

The proability of Jake Long being a bust is lower than Chris Long. Again if he does flame out a Left Tackle, then you have one hell of a RT...Anyway you slice it, the guy will contribute at a posistion. Can't say the same for Chris Long.

You mention Robert Gallery? Yea in terms of being that franchise LT? Yea he's lived up to the 'bust' label. But ever since he's been moved to guard in that zone blocking scheme that the Raiders ran last year, he's been extremely effective at that spot. Again atleast the very worst he's been an adequate starter. WE NEED THAT. WE NEED A FLAT OUT GURANTEED QUALITY STARTER.

For that commiment of salary, we need a flat out non bust. So why not take Jake Long who you try out at 3 diffrent posistions if he flames out at another?

I just can't justify a team as talent devoid as Miami taking the risk on spending that much money on a 34 OLB...LT >>>>>>>>> OLB

LT IS THEE most important posisiton on the field not named QB.

We'd have to bookends at tackle for the next 10 years in Carey and Long...Who hoenstly wouldn't mind having that?

And back on Chris Long, again the kid is a 34 OLB. Who on earth would want to pay 34-35 million in gurantees for a 34 OLB? Who can seriously justify that?

I can't...

LT >>>>>>> 34 OLB x 10

Where did I say I was stuck on Chris Long? I'm not sure he is such a good fit in Miami given the 3-4 alignment.

Joe Thomas didn't go to the Senior Bowl and I'm not certain he worked out either. Joe Thomas' lateral movement is far superior to Jake Long's - and that is what counts playing at LT in terms of speed.

Any scout or any draft website will tell you the big knock on Jake Long is his speed, which is only average.

Again, you don't pay number 1 money for someone who plays RT or Guard - to do so would be absolutely ridiculous. Robert Gallery is a bust because he was taken number 2 as a LT and is now playing guard - you can get great guards in round 2 or round 3, not at number 2 overall.

Feel free to look over any number of my posts on the subject. Your argument is far weaker than the other guy's, so it's a bit ironic that you would volley back the game, set, and match phrase. You got beat, plain and simple.

Think my argument is a very strong one, actually. Drafting a RT at number one overall is absurd.

I'm not doubting that Jake Long will be a great player in the NFL - I am doubting that he is worth the number 1 pick overall given the fact he will struggle to play LT in the pros.

Where did I say I was stuck on Chris Long? I'm not sure he is such a good fit in Miami given the 3-4 alignment.

Joe Thomas didn't go to the Senior Bowl and I'm not certain he worked out either. Joe Thomas' lateral movement is far superior to Jake Long's - and that is what counts playing at LT in terms of speed.

Any scout or any draft website will tell you the big knock on Jake Long is his speed, which is only average.

Again, you don't pay number 1 money for someone who plays RT or Guard - to do so would be absolutely ridiculous. Robert Gallery is a bust because he was taken number 2 as a LT and is now playing guard - you can get great guards in round 2 or round 3, not at number 2 overall.

Ya that's the only thing that makes up a LT, let's draft R.Clady number 1 please. Who cares J.Long plays pissed off, who cares that he man handles people, who cares that he only allowed two sacks in 4 years he's soooooo slow, who cares that he beat out J.Thomas for the best Olman award - if they would only have counted lateral speed Joe would have won it. What does any of that have to do with playing LT, come on people get with the program. We need to draft J.Flacco #1 he's got it all including lateral speed.:d-day:

Ya that's the only thing that makes up a LT, let's draft R.Clady number 1 please. Who cares J.Long plays pissed off, who cares that he man handles people, who cares that he only allowed two sacks in 4 years he's soooooo slow, who cares that he beat out J.Thomas for the best Olman award - if they would only have counted lateral speed Joe would have won it. What does any of that have to do with playing LT, come on people get with the program. We need to draft J.Flacco #1 he's got it all including lateral speed.:d-day:

This sums up the scouts view of Jake Long very well, note the bolded bit:

Strengths:
Excellent size with long arms...Has a large frame with growth potential...Is strong, powerful and tough...Plays with a nasty demeanor and is a great finisher...Can be a dominant run blocker...Mobile and will get to the second level...Smart with great awareness...Played in a couple of different blocking schemes..Stout at the point of attack...Versatile and has played left and right tackle..Hard worker...Leader and a team captain...Nice program pedigree..Lots of experience against top competition.

Weaknesses:
Not a great natural athlete...Does not have outstanding quickness...Feet are just average...Can still improve as a pass blocker...Might not be able to play left tackle at the next level...Can be too aggressive at times...Susceptible to secondary pass rush techniques..Missed half of the 2005 season following surgery for a leg injury.

Notes:
The next in a long line of top Wolverine offensive linemen...Redshirted in '03...Lost a bunch of weight prior to the '06 season to prepare for Michigan's transition to a zone blocking scheme....Probably would've been a Top 10 overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft had he come out after his junior season...Can be a very good left tackle or a great right tackle..Probably falls somewhere in between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown as a pro prospect...Not flashy but is one of the best prospects in this draft.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/jakelong.html

so, given that Jake Long's agility drill times are better than Joe Thomas', how can anyone say he has slow feet? someone may think they see slow feet on film, but when quantified, they are found to be plenty quick.

Back
Top Bottom