Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

:lol:

I find that funny - you haven't looked at any Jake Long tape if that's your view. Long is a road-grader, no doubt, but every scout's take on him is that he lacks the lateral speed to protect his QB's blindside. If he is forced to play LT watch him turn into Robert Gallery Mk 2.

Long isn't the prospect Joe Thomas was - and Thomas has shorter arms which should discount him from being a 'great' Left Tackle.

One...Every scout...I highly doubt that....and looking at tape again...is laughable....it's called eye of the beholder.
I care more about stats...and no tackle in this draft equals what Long has done. If great feet is all you need...then explain how the Cowboys and Giants win games...with Tackles that aren't known to be dancers.

Say what you want about Thomas...but as a rookie...he changed the Browns...and was a pro-bowler.

College football doesn't really have too much to do with what happens in the pros.

So based in this statement we should just throw out every college football's players performance? I mean why even bother having scouts go to games then if how they performed against other college players doesn't count for anything?

Jake Long is a right tackle, pure and simple. He will be a great right tackle, probably the best drafted in some years, but you don't take right tackles at the top of the draft.

Actually that's your opinion, and I used to be of that opinion until I actually watched him play. The guy has given up 2 sack in 4 years. He is left handed so he natural strength and step will be to the ooutside. He showed in his combine and prodays very good footwork. Most of the draft experts that were saying he would not play LT in the NFL have since backed away from that statement.

Basically Long's measurables are fantastic, except in one area - his speed. He won't go number one for that reason.

The ProBowl tackles from 2008

Flozell Adams 5.47 40 time
Walter Jones 4.8 40 time
Chris Samuels 4.95
Chad Clifton 5.1 40 time
Matt Light 5.29 40 time
Jason Peters 4.9 40 time
Johnathan Ogden (can't find, but isn't know for being the fastest)
Marcus McNeil 5.07 40 time
Joe Thomas 4.92 40 time

Jake Long 5.22 40 time
He is slower than most of them, but faster than a few as well. How often does a lineman runa 40 yard dash? He looks mechanical because of big pads he wears. The guys is a beast, and will be a franchise LT for whatever teams drafts him.

One...Every scout...I highly doubt that....and looking at tape again...is laughable....it's called eye of the beholder.
I care more about stats...and no tackle in this draft equals what Long has done. If great feet is all you need...then explain how the Cowboys and Giants win games...with Tackles that aren't known to be dancers.

Say what you want about Thomas...but as a rookie...he changed the Browns...and was a pro-bowler.

My point about Thomas is that despite his short arms he is still a great LT - and that is down to his magnificent feet. Jake Long just doesn't have that. Long actually has a better measureable in terms of arm length than Thomas but Thomas will always be the better tackle while he has those dancin' feet.

It's not about stats - it never has been projecting someone from college to the pros - do you want me to go through the great college players in statistical terms who never transfer it to the pros? What NFL teams are after are measureables and Jake lacks that in the LT department with his foot speed. Long is a freak, super tall, super long and super strong, but unfortunately not super quick. He is not a number one pick in a league that demands exceptional speed in every aspect of the sport.

I am not down on Jake Long - he is a great prospect with exceptional character who will have a great career in the NFL - just not at LT. If Parcell's wants to turn the Dolphins into the new version of the Oakland Raiders he will draft Jake Long at no. 1 as a LT - if he wants to turn them into contenders he will draft someone else more worthy of the number one pick who will be a true impact player at the next level.

So based in this statement we should just throw out every college football's players performance? I mean why even bother having scouts go to games then if how they performed against other college players doesn't count for anything?

Actually that's your opinion, and I used to be of that opinion until I actually watched him play. The guy has given up 2 sack in 4 years. He is left handed so he natural strength and step will be to the ooutside. He showed in his combine and prodays very good footwork. Most of the draft experts that were saying he would not play LT in the NFL have since backed away from that statement.

The ProBowl tackles from 2008

Flozell Adams 5.47 40 time
Walter Jones 4.8 40 time
Chris Samuels 4.95
Chad Clifton 5.1 40 time
Matt Light 5.29 40 time
Jason Peters 4.9 40 time
Johnathan Ogden (can't find, but isn't know for being the fastest)
Marcus McNeil 5.07 40 time
Joe Thomas 4.92 40 time

Jake Long 5.22 40 time
He is slower than most of them, but faster than a few as well. How often does a lineman runa 40 yard dash? He looks mechanical because of big pads he wears. The guys is a beast, and will be a franchise LT for whatever teams drafts him.

College football does count for something - just not for everything. Just ask the "greatest college player of the last 25 years" ( as many called him before he came to the NFL) - Reggie Bush. Great college player - only a very good professional player who will never be anything anymore than what he is at the moment - a scatback with great shiftiness with no ability to run between the tackles.

It is how you project to the pros that matters - there are a slew of players who were 'great' in college who just didn't have what it took to take it to the next level in terms of excellence - and there are a stack of great NFL players who only showed 'measureables' in college without the great play in their amateur years.

Just because you are great in college doesn't mean you will be the same in the NFL - there are some who have made that transition, but there are many who have not. Jake Long will be a great player - just not at a position that deserves a number one pick.

:err:
Actually, Scouts think Jake Long could be a very good LT, but they think he will be a pro bowl RT.

Look at most draft boards for LT

Jake Long is almost always #1 :)

I live in Idaho so i have seen every one of Ryan Clady's games. I think he has some serious bust potential. Not because he is a bad player, but because he is WAY overhyped. Watch the tape of him against Washington, or against Hawaii even. Top notch competition? I think not. He dominated poor competition, but I don't see it happening in the NFL unless he starts building a LOT more muscle.

I'm almost positive everyone on this board who says Ryan Clady will be the best LT out of this draft has never seen him play, or maybe only seen the Fiesta Bowl.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Clady and as a Boise State fan I loved having him on our team, I just think he is over-hyped and doomed to not live up to expectations because of ESPN. (Which only starting giving him love after the Fiesta Bowl BTW...)

Actually, Scouts think Jake Long could be a very good LT, but they think he will be a pro bowl RT.

Look at most draft boards for LT

Jake Long is almost always #1

I live in Idaho so i have seen every one of Ryan Clady's games. I think he has some serious bust potential. Not because he is a bad player, but because he is WAY overhyped. Watch the tape of him against Washington, or against Hawaii even. Top notch competition? I think not. He dominated poor competition, but I don't see it happening in the NFL unless he starts building a LOT more muscle.

I'm almost positive everyone on this board who says Ryan Clady will be the best LT out of this draft has never seen him play, or maybe only seen the Fiesta Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan Clady and as a Boise State fan I loved having him on our team, I just think he is over-hyped and doomed to not live up to expectations because of it.

That's a fair post - I have to say if Michael Oher had of declared he would have smoked every other LT prospect in this draft in terms of potential bar none. I'd even have Phil Loadholt on par with Jake Long in this draft in terms of a LT prospect.

Jake Long isn't the same prospect that Joe Thomas was however - I wouldn't even put him on the same level as D'Brickshaw Ferguson in '06 (went no. 4 overall in the 'superdraft) to be honest in terms of LT. I know a lot of people will laugh at me for that statement - but Ferguson has his pass protection down pat and has played very reasonably on a very very poor O Line in his two seasons in the league.

Jake Long just isn't a consensus no. 1 - he will be a great player, just not at the position that matters.

Jake Long? According to my sources (the sporting news) Jake Long will be available at the 32nd pick why would you take him No.1 if he is going to fall that far.
The big guy Ryan Clady from Boise State is rated now as the top Tackle in the draft.

Jake Long has been projected at right tackle. If we take a right tackle with the top pick we will be the laughing stock of the NFL>

Wait... Jason Taylor is prancing around in balerina tights and a g-string.

WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL!

WITH THE FIRST PICK THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT RYAN CLADY RT BOISE STATE

I am not sure which sporting news you are referring to but the Sporting News draft magazine has Jake Long going in the Top Five.

Jake Long is going to make you Jake Long detractors look mighty silly next year when he is starting at LT and playing very well..

He's going to make you all look silly like he made Cliff Avril, Derrick Harvey, Anthony Spencer, Adam Carriker, etc etc all look silly when Jake Long dominated those high pick players.

What you guys oughta do is get the Auburn-Wisconsin game tape. And take a good look at Joe Thomas getting abused for sacks, hurries, and being totally stuffed in the running game.. Jake Long never had a bad game like that in his college career.,

And it's amazing the short memories some of you have.. MOST scouts said last year that if Jake Long declared he would be rated ahead of Joe Thomas.. So I don't understand where you are coming from when you say that scouts had Joe Thomas rated higher than Long. That is just not true, it's an all out fabrication..

Jake Long is going to make you Jake Long detractors look mighty silly next year when he is starting at LT and playing very well..

He's going to make you all look silly like he made Cliff Avril, Derrick Harvey, Anthony Spencer, Adam Carriker, etc etc all look silly when Jake Long dominated those high pick players.

What you guys oughta do is get the Auburn-Wisconsin game tape. And take a good look at Joe Thomas getting abused for sacks, hurries, and being totally stuffed in the running game.. Jake Long never had a bad game like that in his college career.,

And it's amazing the short memories some of you have.. MOST scouts said last year that if Jake Long declared he would be rated ahead of Joe Thomas.. So I don't understand where you are coming from when you say that scouts had Joe Thomas rated higher than Long. That is just not true, it's an all out fabrication..

Well, it will be for another club, and not Miami.

Why is he a right tackle? He has dominated at LT for the past two years.

bro ignore whoever taht says he is a RT im so sick of it. ppl say Ginn cant' catch or run routes look at em now they are on his jock like a bee on honey. just ignore em cuz its pathetic the rate these ppl are saying this at.

I find that funny - you haven't looked at any Jake Long tape if that's your view. Long is a road-grader, no doubt, but every scout's take on him is that he lacks the lateral speed to protect his QB's blindside. If he is forced to play LT watch him turn into Robert Gallery Mk 2.

Long isn't the prospect Joe Thomas was - and Thomas has shorter arms which should discount him from being a 'great' Left Tackle.

I got news for ya Mr. Hangover. We are a run first team. Take a good look at who runs this team now. Take a good look at what BP and co. did in FA. They left two huge gaping holes on the O line. And look at who the HC is. Get a clue already! Jake Long is no friggin RT! He is a brutal force and likes to smash players helmets into the dirt long after the whistle is blown. He picks up an anvil with one hand. Not many have done it. He is a football player. forget the RT crap. It is not even a consideration for any friggin top draft team so bag the BS already!

That's the truth. If you want him as a RT tackle great but not at #1. Trade it or take BPA you can't lose.

Back
Top Bottom