Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins leaning toward Jake Long?

so that is real dumb, u dont justify taking a franchise LT, but u wannt to take an OLB, name the best olb in the league, idk merriman mabey, which chris isnt and never will be, what is the most impact that merriman has compared to the bets LT in the leauge, which im not saying jake will be, but, u find the impact them have on there individual teams and then you try to justify an OLB with the number 1.

so that is real dumb, u dont justify taking a franchise LT, but u wannt to take an OLB, name the best olb in the league, idk merriman mabey, which chris isnt and never will be, what is the most impact that merriman has compared to the bets LT in the leauge, which im not saying jake will be, but, u find the impact them have on there individual teams and then you try to justify an OLB with the number 1.
How do you know how good he's going to be? Who was the last OLmen taken with the #1 overall pick? Orlando Pace 1997. JL is no OP. Before that, 1968 Ron Yary. That's my point smart guy. How the heck do you know JL is going to be a franchise LT. Buy the way the fins already have a LT. This team needs to stop opponents from scoring. That's why you take a Big, Fast outside pass rusher not a prospective "franchise" LT. The lineman will be there with the 32nd pick it just won't be Jake Long.

Ya'll dudes that are so high on Chris Long and then at the same time try to detract Jake Long's value amaze me.

Sure let's pass up the potential franchise Left Tackle, who not only was a damn productive player in college, had a faboulous combine for a 34 Outslide linebacker...:lol:

Yea sure let's be alright with this team paying 34 million in guranteed salaries for a the 34 OLB....:lol:

Hell, forget the fact that we still have Jason Taylor who plays the same posistion, and is still a damn effective player at the momment.

Lets pass up on the player who a lesser probability of being a bust (if he flames out at LT, at worst he can always be a damn good RT) than Chris Long where most of his highlights came from that major football conference that is ACC. He sure did dominate those big time programs like UNC, NC STATE Wake Forest, etc etc....:lol:

And all jokes aside, I'm not really trying to down Chris Long, but some of you who really think he's the best fit for this team going forward are Nuts. I mean some of ya'll overrating him big time..

I personally don't think he's as impactful of a defensive player as Dorsey. But unfortuantly Dorsey's skillset is not a fit for the base 34...

You draft Jake Long, and you solidify the offensive line for the next 9-10 years....Long-?-Satele-Smiley-Carey....All 26 years of age and younger....All we're missing is a LG and Mormino might very well step up to the plate. If Beck is the kid that's going to get the ship right, we need to make sure he has protection. PERIOD.

And Ricky and Ronnie behind that line if they reach their potential as unit? THEY WILL STRAIGHT FOOL AROUND!!!

BIG JAKE LONG FOR NUMERO UNO!! USE YA'LL HEADS MAN!!

Ya'll dudes that are so high on Chris Long and then at the same time try to detract Jake Long's value amaze me.

Sure let's pass up the potential franchise Left Tackle, who not only was a damn productive player in college, had a faboulous combine for a 34 Outslide linebacker...:lol:

Yea sure let's be alright with this team paying 34 million in guranteed salaries for a the 34 OLB....:lol:

Hell, forget the fact that we still have Jason Taylor who plays the same posistion, and is still a damn effective player at the momment.

Lets pass up on the player who a lesser probability of being a bust (if he flames out at LT, at worst he can always be a damn good RT) than Chris Long where most of his highlights came from that major football conference that is ACC. He sure did dominate those big time programs like UNC, NC STATE Wake Forest, etc etc....:lol:

And all jokes aside, I'm not really trying to down Chris Long, but some of you who really think he's the best fit for this team going forward are Nuts. I mean some of ya'll overrating him big time..

I personally don't think he's as impactful of a defensive player as Dorsey. But unfortuantly Dorsey's skillset is not a fit for the base 34...

You draft Jake Long, and you solidify the offensive line for the next 9-10 years....Long-?-Satele-Smiley-Carey....All 26 years of age and younger....All we're missing is a LG and Mormino might very well step up to the plate. If Beck is the kid that's going to get the ship right, we need to make sure he has protection. PERIOD.

And Ricky and Ronnie behind that line if they reach their potential as unit? THEY WILL STRAIGHT FOOL AROUND!!!

BIG JAKE LONG FOR NUMERO UNO!! USE YA'LL HEADS MAN!!

It's not that I think Jake Long is going to be a bad player. I believe that Chris Long will be a better player. He can be a very disruptive force on the defense and become the new leader on this very young team.

I just have once concern with this beast…what about the first three years of your college career? Posting only 7 sacks and 24 tackles for loss in three years, then 14 and 19 respectively in his senior year? I don’t question the player or the drive of this kid, but the numbers don’t lie. Is he really the best prospect to play the 3-4 outside linebacker position?

:unsure:

How do you know how good he's going to be? Who was the last OLmen taken with the #1 overall pick? Orlando Pace 1997. JL is no OP. Before that, 1968 Ron Yary. That's my point smart guy. How the heck do you know JL is going to be a franchise LT. Buy the way the fins already have a LT. This team needs to stop opponents from scoring. That's why you take a Big, Fast outside pass rusher not a prospective "franchise" LT. The lineman will be there with the 32nd pick it just won't be Jake Long.

Has a OLB ever been taken 1st overall?????? That's why you take a Big, Strong, Dominating LT not a prospective "tweener" OLB. The OLB will be there with the 32nd pick it just won't be Chris Long.

That's a fair post - I have to say if Michael Oher had of declared he would have smoked every other LT prospect in this draft in terms of potential bar none. I'd even have Phil Loadholt on par with Jake Long in this draft in terms of a LT prospect.

Jake Long isn't the same prospect that Joe Thomas was however - I wouldn't even put him on the same level as D'Brickshaw Ferguson in '06 (went no. 4 overall in the 'superdraft) to be honest in terms of LT. I know a lot of people will laugh at me for that statement - but Ferguson has his pass protection down pat and has played very reasonably on a very very poor O Line in his two seasons in the league.

Jake Long just isn't a consensus no. 1 - he will be a great player, just not at the position that matters.

who's agent are you...? :rolleyes:

It's not that I think Jake Long is going to be a bad player. I believe that Chris Long will be a better player. He can be a very disruptive force on the defense and become the new leader on this very young team.

exactly. the thing is he is a player u build around b/c of his leadership ability. our D as ZERO leaders adn if JT which i think WILL GET TRADED is gone we have no one adn Long woudl be the perfect leader.

who's agent are you...? :rolleyes:

There is at least one scout who posts on another forum I frequent - he mixes with other scouts and he made the claim I have stated above.

There actually also is a club Doctor, not mentioning any names (*cough* Titans *cough*) who posts infrequently on the same forum.

The scout's information is second to none in terms of player assessments and he has picked out rising prospects months before anyone else has, as you would expect given his position. For example, he picked Ahtya Rubin (spelling is probably incorrect) as a fast rising prospect long before anyone else did.

There is at least one scout who posts on another forum I frequent - he mixes with other scouts and he made the claim I have stated above.

There actually also is a club Doctor, not mentioning any names (*cough* Titans *cough*) who posts infrequently on the same forum.

The scout's information is second to none in terms of player assessments and he has picked out rising prospects months before anyone else has, as you would expect given his position. For example, he picked Ahtya Rubin (spelling is probably incorrect) as a fast rising prospect long before anyone else did.

How can anyone say J. Long isn't the same prospect as J.Thomas... these aren't apples and oranges.... jake Long actually looks slightly ahead of Thomas at this point of his career...

How can anyone say J. Long isn't the same prospect as J.Thomas... these aren't apples and oranges.... jake Long actually looks slightly ahead of Thomas at this point of his career...

Jake Long hasn't played a single down in the NFL....

Jake Long hasn't played a single down in the NFL....

Yes you're correct, that's why comparisons are made from college careers to how the pro's have worked out for certain players. Also that's why it seems so silly to knock the guy for playing great at LT for the last four years before he's given anyone a reason to believe he can't do it at the NFL level.
We're not talking about a 4th round prospect, he should be given credit for what he's done so far.

Originally Posted by RoninFin4
I just have once concern with this beast…what about the first three years of your college career? Posting only 7 sacks and 24 tackles for loss in three years, then 14 and 19 respectively in his senior year? I don’t question the player or the drive of this kid, but the numbers don’t lie. Is he really the best prospect to play the 3-4 outside linebacker position?

the first three years he handled the blockers, his final year he was cut loose. The figures dont lie but are misrepresented somewhat.

I also posted this in another thread...

Id be happy with either. Im not buying that Jake cant play LT in the NFL. Its not like we havent got coaches at that position who cant tweak his minor failings. He is a fantastic prospect and will be a starter from day one whoever gets him. The more you dissect the situation the harder it becomes. Yes we have a need on the O line but im guessing our first 3 maybe four picks will be either all O or all D and we will look at FA after. I love the upside that Chris long has. End or OLB... not buying he cant switch to either. We pay coaches to develop top end players to greatness. If we are saying the players are not up to it then for me it reflects on the coaching just as much.

So removing the splinters from my *** and getting off the fence... Ill take Chris long.

Ill say it again. The player we pick will get coached to within an inch of his life when he signs on the paper. If Jakes feet are a problem then im sure the coaches will work on it... Jeez, what do they get paid for if not to improve talent.

He should be able to be a very solid LT in the pros or like you say a great RT. Even so, if all the good OT's are going to be gone by the time we pick again at #32 then we have to get this guy. Our need is so huge and obvious that it is almost a given we will take him if we are stuck at #1.

He is not the pass blocking talent of Joe Thomas, but very few are. This guy is a tough
SOB that will be on our team for a dozen years if he is picked.

Comparing him to Gallery isn't very fair either, he hasn't showed that his feet are bad. Just not top level like a Boselli, Pace, Ogden or J. Thomas, that doesn't mean his lateral movement has been horrible it just isn't been hall of fame caliber.

The #1 pick in this draft is a very tough place to be and they have a very hard decision to make regarding this pick and the future of our Fins.

Back
Top Bottom