Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long

Seriously all the negative talk about Long is crazy. I get it he isn't worth the big money but I would love to keep him if he and the Phins can work a reasonable deal. He has given us some great years. He needs to get healthy I get it. If he gets healthy he will be one of the best in the league. I know Martin can play LT but if we can keep both our line will be in good shape. Plus keeping Matin at RT will keep his price down when Miami extends him. Just some thoughts.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Also I can live with Smith making big money. He's not top 5 at his position but we need him because he is good.
I agree. I'd like to see the team keep Long. He has been the epitome of a team player and a clubhouse leader since his arrival. Long has played through injuries sometimes to his own detriment. I want to keep players like that on the team, although yes not at $15 million a year. If the team can sign him to a short-term deal in the $5-6 million range that would be great. I think he'll rebound. As to Smith, I also can't see Miami franchising him. I know it's tough to find corners and the draft doesn't look great in that area this year, but he isn't even a top 15 corner in the league.

I respect your opinion Hoops but I want your plan B. We are already extra-thin at CB, what are we gonna do if Smith walks? Spend all our draft on corners? Overpay a free agent of the same caliber than Smith?

and that's our dilemma...and why i keep saying sean smith has the leverage here...miami would be pretty much rebuilding at cb in one offseason if they let him walk...no matter what rookie we bring in here there is gonna be some growing pains and transition period no matter how good they end up being and i don't see miami wanting to take a step back at the position in the short term...

they could tag him but thats a chunk of damn change...i think his market in free agency falls in the $8 mil per range...might have to do a 4 year $35 mil deal to retain him....

also if we did cut weight with marshall and get some cap money back signing sean smith long term would not be as tough a pill to swallow at $8 mil per...nor would the tag for one year ar $10.6 mil...say you get $2 mil back letting marshall go i don't know the exact numbers but barry jackson says we would get some relief if marshall was let go that would help

there's also the thought and i never believed this before i saw him the first quarter of the season that his best footballs in front of him...i can tell you he played the short inside cutting quick hitters way better this year it used to be anytime a wr crossed his face it was pitch and catch to the inside but that wasn't the case this year...so there's growth...and he didn't tackle as much like a girl this year...but he doesn't possess elite tools for the position either so whats his ceiling??? probably still very much inconsistent i'd say

I would much rather tag him than pay him $8 mill per year but really all options suck at this point. He's another guy we could have easily extended for about $4 million per year

i can tell ya this also...most those big name corners that are potential free agents if they leave they are gonna be leaving for damn good money to go elsewhere in the $10 mil per range which seems to be the going rate these days for high end corners in free agency do you if you're miami want to take a chance on someone else coming in and fitting with your philosophy and scheme at $10 mil per or do you want to retain sean smiths services knowing his limitations and what be brings to the table both in the lockerroom and on the field in that $8 mil per range...i think i know the way they'd look at it...also sean smith pretty much suits up every week...he may not be good every week but he plays you a full seasons sched pretty much...

decisions decisions...

as for jake long 2 years $12 mil take it or leave it...and oh yeah you're being moved to right tackle...where you're feet are a better fit anyways

I'm all for resigning Smith, but franchising him is crazy talk. The only person I would expect to leak that to the media would be Smith's agent.

per rotoworld...

sean smith will likely be tagged if he's not able to get a long term deal done.why

they also said that the franchise tag is "out of the question" for long.
Why would we pay over 10 million for a corner who has yet to make a meaningful play in 4 seasons? 5 career INTs in 4 seasons? Horrible tackler? If he walked, no one would notice. I'd rather the tag be used on Bush or Long.

rotoworld is full o' sh**, and y'all can tell them I said so!

yo, rotoworld… flush you

Last edited by a moderator:
NO WAY dolphins tag smith,as for Jake Long i can see him playing in chicago next year.

Seriously all the negative talk about Long is crazy. I get it he isn't worth the big money but I would love to keep him if he and the Phins can work a reasonable deal. He has given us some great years. He needs to get healthy I get it. If he gets healthy he will be one of the best in the league. I know Martin can play LT but if we can keep both our line will be in good shape. Plus keeping Matin at RT will keep his price down when Miami extends him. Just some thoughts.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Also I can live with Smith making big money. He's not top 5 at his position but we need him because he is good.
Martin is a tackle who got bull rushed by a cornerback r u kidding me, he blows real bad. Sean smith blows as well. He should only be matched up against the big receivers. He gets killed by the small quick receivers. The guy deserves average contract.

Martin gets bullrushed by a CB, embarrassing. Jake Long gets beat badly by a speed rusher three times in the same game, also embarrassing, but one of them makes $12,000,000 a year and the other one makes a tiny fraction of that.

Back
Top Bottom