Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long

I guarantee it would have been a lot less than he's going to get on the open market after a 1000 yard season. Also by extending them early you don't take the inflation hit that you will by waiting and you can sign him to a shorter contract than you would a normal free agent. You can even overpay them slightly at the time but in reality it works out better for the team in the end. The obvious risk is if the player turns into a complete disaster but we're paying Ireland the big bucks to make sure he extends the right guys.

It comes down to simple game theory. We now know what the ideal play was, whichever gm comes closest to making the ideal play wins. You don't think there are any gms out there that wouldn't have had the foresight to extend these guys at the right time?

so how much do u extend Hartline for early. I mean u sign him long term and he puts up 30-40 receptionms and 500 -600 yards and 1 td, now u are stuck way overpaying a guy that doesnt deserve it. I dont think any gm in the league would have extended hartline to much of a contract based on what he had done so far.

No way we franchise tag Smith. We'd be paying top five money for an average corner. There's a reason why teams love throwing his way.

so how much do u extend Hartline for early. I mean u sign him long term and he puts up 30-40 receptionms and 500 -600 yards and 1 td, now u are stuck way overpaying a guy that doesnt deserve it. I dont think any gm in the league would have extended hartline to much of a contract based on what he had done so far.

Any young player you plan on keeping around should be extended, its as simple as that, and especially ones making less than a million a year. Obviously its not an easy task to figure out who exactly we should extend but that's Ireland's job, he gets paid millions of dollars to read the tea leaves. Just about anybody can play the wait and see game, a good GM should have both foresight and conviction that he's right.

Good poker players get a read early and go with it by being aggressive and fearless, generally either raising or folding. Bad poker players just call, call, call until they see what happens on the river. Ireland is a bad poker player.

Any young player you plan on keeping around should be extended, its as simple as that, and especially ones making less than a million a year. Obviously its not an easy task to figure out who exactly we should extend but that's Ireland's job, he gets paid millions of dollars to read the tea leaves. Just about anybody can play the wait and see game, a good GM should have both foresight and conviction that he's right.

Good poker players get a read early and go with it by being aggressive and fearless, generally either raising or folding. Bad poker players just call, call, call until they see what happens on the river. Ireland is a bad poker player.

Well predicting Hartline would have a 1000 yard year was about as easy to predict as you opponent has a royal flush

miami can probably sit on hartline while they entertain the demands of the top wrs in free agency if they decide to throw their hat in the ring on them...hartline doesn't have to be a must get done guy from the get go...really sean smith doesn't either given the way his second half of the season went...he hurt his market big time...but we also have to be careful that these guys might get a good offer and never give miami a chance ...i could see someone offering smith $8 mil per and betting on he's coming into his prime...i can't see hartline attracting more than $6 mil per from anyone...i think the league knows what hartline is...

I used to know transition tags and all that stuff . Cant we tender Hartline or am I confused which i often am.
Like a first round tender like we did with Murtha last year ugh defend that friggin move lol

hartlines not worth a tag...lets not get crazy here...transition or franchise with hartline hell no...you put a 1st round tender on hartline and you'll be paying him that tag amount cause no ones coming for him with that kind of compensation...ha ha

i promise you that...

i'm not big on tagging anyone of our free agents...$10.6 mil for sean smith for one year??? off how he fared the last half the season??? hells no...

hartlines not worth a tag...lets not get crazy here...transition or franchise with hartline hell no...you put a 1st round tender on hartline and you'll be paying him that tag amount cause no ones coming for him with that kind of compensation...ha ha

i promise you that...

i'm not big on tagging anyone of our free agents...$10.6 mil for sean smith for one year??? off how he fared the last half the season??? hells no...

well im saying like a 2nd round or 1st round tag which is not the same as the others but im not sure if he is eligible

Well predicting Hartline would have a 1000 yard year was about as easy to predict as you opponent has a royal flush

All you need to project is whether or not he's a guy you want on your team, thats it. Its not like Hartline knows he'll have a 1000 yard season during negotiations anymore than Ireland does. You're both negotiating off the same information and you're both weighing the risk vs reward of future possibilities.

With the benefit of hindsight I believe we should have extended Hartline at this time last year and I believe Hartline would have accepted an extension happily. If you don't believe either of those statements are true then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Even without hindsight I would have extended Hartline, some would have hated it but most wouldn't have cared and at the end of the day I would have looked like a genius.

depends on the money as to how much of a "genius" you would have looked like...

depends on the money as to how much of a "genius" you would have looked like...

Impossible to say but I'm guessing he could have been extended for half of what he'll be worth when he becomes a free agent. With a back loaded contract could have had him for 2-3 million next season probably.

I would prefer to tag Long or Bush, pretty sure Sean Smith won't go anywhere, his numbers does not deserve 10 million a year, more like 2-3 mil at the most
:lol:
sure hope that was a joke, only tag Bush is getting is the one for his luggage at the airport.

i doubt he would have signed any extension a year before he was set to be free for $2-3 mil per...thats called betting against yourself in 2012 being able to do better than that...most these guys egos don't allow for that...now had we offered him say $4 mil per off last season i think he would have at least thought about it...but not in the $2 mil range...not if he thinks he's better than that...no agent takes that unless he knows his guy is trending down

i promise you that...

I respect your opinion Hoops but I want your plan B. We are already extra-thin at CB, what are we gonna do if Smith walks? Spend all our draft on corners? Overpay a free agent of the same caliber than Smith?

i doubt he would have signed any extension a year before he was set to be free for $2-3 mil per...thats called betting against yourself in 2012 being able to do better than that...most these guys egos don't allow for that...now had we offered him say $4 mil per off last season i think he would have at least thought about it...but not in the $2 mil range...not if he thinks he's better than that...no agent takes that unless he knows his guy is trending down

Yeah the average over 4 years would have been at least 4 per but i would try to backload as much as possible just in case I was wrong about him.

Back
Top Bottom