Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long

Yep, people are all hot and horny to see the new and improved Ireland in 2013 but he's already off to a horrible start by mishandling Long, Smith and Hartline.
Ireland hasn't made one move yet in regards to the aboved mentioned.. So how exactly has he mishandled them? or is it because he hasn't made a move yet the mishandeling?

Yep, people are all hot and horny to see the new and improved Ireland in 2013 but he's already off to a horrible start by mishandling Long, Smith and Hartline.

As much as I think Ireland should be fired , I dont get your logic here.

I 100% support tagging Smith.

cus he is absolutely worth 9mil?

this is what i dont get out of people. say bye bye jake but smith should get top dollar.inconsistant.

i would offer him 4-5mil/year.you dont like it? good luck to you son. go get another cb or two in draft

We need to keep long even though Martin has played well at LT his rookie season I would like to have one of the better OT combos in the NFL

You don't sign a guy to $10,000,000 a year to play RT. There are much better options for the money in free agency

You don't sign a guy to $10,000,000 a year to play RT. There are much better options for the money in free agency

No u pay him 7 million a year like Ireland already did with Vernon Carey in 2009

As much as I think Ireland should be fired , I dont get your logic here.

Ireland had 3 options available to him with Smith and Hartline: 1) restructure last year. 2) wait it out and pay market value or 3) franchise them. The best option by a mile was restructering them well before they were about to become free agents. We probably could have signed them both for less than it'll cost to keep one at this point. What he chose to do is really a disaster and good teams don't do it.

Its either a lack of foresight or a lack of recognizing the talent we have in the guys on the roster or both.

Ireland had 3 options available to him with Smith and Hartline: 1) restructure last year. 2) wait it out and pay market value or 3) franchise them. The best option by a mile was restructering them well before they were about to become free agents. We probably could have signed them both for less than it'll cost to keep one at this point. Its really a disaster and good teams don't do it.

Its either a lack of foresight or a lack of recognizing the talent we have in the guys on the roster or both.

why would Hartline or us have signed a contract last year esp when we traded Marshall. As for Smith I doubt he would have signed a low budget deal either, teams are always overpaying for cb I mean hell Patterson defrauded cleveland and he is not very good.

I mean some could say we should have locked in Bush longterm but based on his history it was still best to wait. I dont think ireland is worth the hair off my balls but u couldnt expect him or anybody to anticipate hartline having the year he did

why would Hartline or us have signed a contract last year esp when we traded Marshall. As for Smith I doubt he would have signed a low budget deal either, teams are always overpaying for cb I mean hell Patterson defrauded cleveland and he is not very good.

I mean some could say we should have locked in Bush longterm but based on his history it was still best to wait. I dont think ireland is worth the hair off my balls but u couldnt expect him or anybody to anticipate hartline having the year he did

Neither of those guys were making anything last year, you don't think Smith would have been giddy to go from 1 year left at $700k to a four year $20 million deal? Unlike a Jake Long these guys were at serious risk of having a bad year or getting seriously injured and ending their careers making almost nothing. Its risk vs reward, if Long has a bad year, oh well he's already filthy rich, guys like Hartline and Smith would be taking a huge risk by turning down a relatively big contract for them.

There is certainly a tipping point which is why I didn't include guys like Fasano or Starks as I doubt they play ball but I would bet a big chunk of change that Hartline and Smith would have happily signed an extension.

The same rule applies to the other young guys that look like keepers, extend them as early as possible. For example Ireland should be talking to Reshad Jones' agent NOW.

Neither of those guys were making anything last year, you don't think Smith would have been giddy to go from 1 year left at $700k to a four year $20 million deal? Unlike a Jake Long these guys were at serious risk of having a bad year or getting seriously injured and ending their careers making almost nothing. Its risk vs reward, if Long has a bad year, oh well he's already filthy rich, guys like Hartline and Smith would be taking a huge risk by turning down a relatively big contract for them.

There is certainly a tipping point which is why I didn't include guys like Fasano or Starks as I doubt they play ball but I would bet a big chunk of change that Hartline and Smith would have happily signed an extension.

The same rule applies to the other young guys that look like keepers, extend them as early as possible. For example Ireland should be talking to Reshad Jones' agent NOW.

In smith's case I can somewhat agree but once u sign Marshall to 3 years 17 mill u mess any chance to sign Smith for cheap. hartline I dont agree with because what do u choose to pay him.

I'd rather tag smith than tag long all day. And lol at people syuggesting we waste our picks on 2 CBs in the draft where we have a ton of holes to fix let alone you'd be suggesting we start next year with 2 rookies as our CBs, if you think our secondary is bad now oh my goodness, you'd basically be asking to give tom brady career numbers next year.

You guys are hilarious.

You bash these beat writers for being ****ing stupid, then when they say something like this you believe every word of it.

Ben Volin has no more info about this situation than any of us. Rotoworld got it from him, stop believing every thing that comes out from beat writers.

In smith's case I can somewhat agree but once u sign Marshall to 3 years 17 mill u mess any chance to sign Smith for cheap. hartline I dont agree with because what do u choose to pay him.

I guarantee it would have been a lot less than he's going to get on the open market after a 1000 yard season. Also by extending them early you don't take the inflation hit that you will by waiting and you can sign him to a shorter contract than you would a normal free agent. You can even overpay them slightly at the time but in reality it works out better for the team in the end. The obvious risk is if the player turns into a complete disaster but we're paying Ireland the big bucks to make sure he extends the right guys.

It comes down to simple game theory. We now know what the ideal play was, whichever gm comes closest to making the ideal play wins. You don't think there are any gms out there that wouldn't have had the foresight to extend these guys at the right time?

I mean if people are willing to sign the guy for four years at 5-6 mil per I can't think why a 1 year shot at 10 million and extended flexibility would be an issue. If he shows promise you can move forward with the guy if not you are not stuck for 3 more years. Plus you will get a guarantee best effort with a 1 year deal. Multi year deals can often promote a player to lose their drive.

This is the same logic i used for Long. Only Long was in 4 PB's. Sith has done a whole lot of not much other than the occasional play. Long not coming back supposedly is why i changed my draft. We ned OL.

Well first of all i didn't say pay him to play RT Jake is a LT and if he is resigned he is going to the starting LT for the Dolphins keep Martin at RT and keep Jake at LT and we have a very good OT combo and with pouncy at center the line is looking pretty good when long in healthy we just have to find decent LG and RG they dont have to be franchise G's cuz Long, Martin, and Pouncy would make them look like superstars

Back
Top Bottom