Dolphins OC: DeVante Parker is 'hungry' and 'healthy' | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OC: DeVante Parker is 'hungry' and 'healthy'

I never expect anything from WRs and DL until year three anyways. It takes them that long to really get it unless it's a WR like Randy Moss.

This is all based on him staying healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parker is overrated by this fan base. He's shown flashes and those were very minimal. Drafting this type of WR in the first round he should have been something by now. If it doesn't happen this year we need to think about parting ways.

Parker is overrated by this fan base. He's shown flashes and those were very minimal. Drafting this type of WR in the first round he should have been something by now. If it doesn't happen this year we need to think about parting ways.

You do realize that the majority of first round receivers that turn into something special ideally hit that "special" mark in year three, right? Parker just turned 24.

If you want to call him overrated, then call him overrated by all not just this fanbase. Every single draft scout gave him a top 10 grade and we got him at pick 14. Everyone knew then that he was raw and would take time to develop.

You do realize that the majority of first round receivers that turn into something special ideally hit that "special" mark in year three, right?

It's actually the second year they breakout and the third year they establish themselves but go ahead and worship everything this team does. He's a top flight, "alpha wr" drafted in the first round, not a project from the third. Physical talent is there and his issues are intelligence and health. Not good.

I never expect anything from WRs and DL until year three anyways. It takes them that long to really get it unless it's a WR like Randy Moss.

You should step up your expectations
Rookies the last few years

Michael Thomas...1137 yards...9 tds
Amari Cooper ....1070 yards....6 tds
Odell Beckham ...1305 yards...13 tds
Kelvin Benjamin ...1008 yards...9 tds
Mike Evans ......1051 yards...12 tds
Jordan Matthews ...872 yards...8 tds
Sammy Watkins ...982 yards...6 tds
Keenan Allen...1046 yards...8 tds

All the rookies above showed talent/production in said rookie year

What we got with Parker is a wide receiver who averaged about 2 first downs a game last season
Hopefully for his sake and ours, as Dolphin fans his light bulb will come on this season

You should step up your expectations
Rookies the last few years

Michael Thomas...1137 yards...9 tds
Amari Cooper ....1070 yards....6 tds
Odell Beckham ...1305 yards...13 tds
Kelvin Benjamin ...1008 yards...9 tds
Mike Evans ......1051 yards...12 tds
Jordan Matthews ...872 yards...8 tds
Sammy Watkins ...982 yards...6 tds
Keenan Allen...1046 yards...8 tds

All the rookies above showed talent/production in said rookie year

What we got with Parker is a wide receiver who averaged about 2 first downs a game last season
Hopefully for his sake and ours, as Dolphin fans his light bulb will come on this season

All of these rookies were on teams starved for WR's. There was plenty of balls to go around for them. Not on this squad. DVP arguably has the talent to match and supersede a lot of these guys.

This guy is special and if we let him walk as a free agent he will make us regret it like no one else.

Aj green year two 97 rec for 1300
Julio Jones 79 for 1100 pretty sure he was hurt too
Deandre Hopkins 76 for 1100 w no qb
Odell Beckham had 90 plus and 1200 plus yards year one and two
Sammy Watkins 60 for 100 w a worse offense and no help
Calvin Johnson 76 for 1300
Brandon Marshall 103 for 1300
Jerry rice 86 for 1300
Jarvis Landry 110 for 1100

So how many more do I need to show you that you're wrong?

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

The point you're making is the light comes on year 3 for most and that's bull****. Year two. Period.

Jerry rice 86 for 1300

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

The point you're making is the light comes on year 3 for most and that's bull****. Year two. Period.

Actually it's not bs, as MOST receivers (and players in general) take time to develop. It's not common for them to just step in and be elite. Did those guys deal with injuries and limited playing time year 1? And you say most, yet list less than 10 players. Doesn't sound like "most" to me. you appear to be too rigid to even acknowledge something else as a possibility

“We need him to be a big-play, No. 1 receiver,” Christensen said. “That’s what he has the potential to be.

What we need are guys that can stay on the field and score TD's and to get guys to maximize their potential. Guys that are getting targeted 130-160 times per season need to be scoring more than 4 TD's. If they are not, then those targets need to go to someone capable of getting in the end zone. Kenny (42 rec) did it last year on minimal targets (9 td on 81 targets). That equates to one TD every 9 targets (or 1 TD every 5th catch). Parker has the potential to do it....so does Landry but the fact that he was the focus of the offense probably drew more attention to him.

Parker, Stills, Landry and Thomas all have the potential for 10 TD's. Ajayi's emergence in the running game (and Fasano/Thomas) will only help this aspect, IMO.

If we have to cut Landry's targets from 131 to 95 then so be it. 475 passing attempts could be more evenly dispersed and probably reduced with the emergence of a better running game.

Parker 100
Landry 100
Stills 70
Thomas 70

Total of 340 targets for those four players still leaves room for Ajayi, Williams and Drake. Maybe even Grant. Thomas' damage will come in the red zone and hopefully Parker as well. Landry is a great possession receiver and makes too many big plays to fall short of the end zone. I am confident his TD numbers will grow this year and things open up around him.

I wish people would quit using elite players as the standard for judging young players. If Parker isn't AJ Green or Julio Jones that doesn't mean he sucks or is somehow a disappointment. The same is true with Tannehill compared to Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees. These are Hall of Famers of the future. To say you need to be on par with the Hall of Fame or you're a bust seems silly to me. Parker will likely never be as good as Green or Jones but he can still be damn good. All he needs is health and opportunity. The rest has already been displayed.

Parker on a team where he's showcased and fed like a #1 receiver, especially if that team had a top flight qb and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Put Parker in New Orleans or Green Bay in 2016 and people might have different opinion of where he's at career wise.

Also people were ready to roll out the red carpet for Kenny Stills, but Parker had more receptions and more Yards than Stills. He had half of Stills' tds, but I honestly expect Parker's td's to rise and Stills to dip a bit this season. Parker's 2nd year numbers of 56 reception 744 yards and 4 td's were similar to Stills' 2nd year total of 63 receptions 931 yards and 3 td's. I think a healthy Parker in 2016 would have exceeded Stills' 2nd year production and that's not considering the Saints pass happy offense and Drew Brees passing the ball. I could easily see Parker with 70 receptions, 1000 yards and 7 tds.

Some guys take longer than others. Roddy White took 3 years. Hines Ward took 4. Brandon Marshall took 2. They were not 1st round picks but it's not like Parker hasn't done anything over the last two years. He was injured coming out of college. Remember the "career threatening" foot injury that he overcame? He has made highlight catches. He scored as many TD's as Landry who had almost twice the targets.

In the end, nobody is complaining about the career production of any of those guys.

If some people don't see the talent then I don't know what to tell ya. I've seen enough to be optimistic. I can't say the same for the guy drafted ahead of him...Kevin White.

Jerry rice 86 for 1300

lol I love this post. Cherry picks stats to make his argument sound valid.

Actually, Julio Jones dipped down again in his third year because he couldn't stay healthy, and it wasn't until his fourth year that he showed he could dominate as a receiver.

Torrey Smith had his first 1,000 yard season in his third season.

Randall Cobb didn't have his first 1,000 yard season until year 4.

Davante Adams also didn't click until year 3.

Also, a lot of the receivers you mentioned were the only options on their team. DeAndre Hopkins came on as Andre Johnson became ineffective. ODB had no other help in the receiving corps. Landry was simply a high volume target guy because of who else was in the receiving corps. AJ Green was the only option and a high volume target guy.

Miami hasn't given DeVante the high volume of targets like a lot of other receivers have gotten. Miami also doesn't need that from him. There are also plenty of other first round receivers, like Tavon Austin or Jordan Matthews, that have had nice careers but didn't become colossal receiving threats. So quit acting like DeVante hasn't shown anything,, because he has. And like other posters mention, with a healthy 16 game season, Parker is a 1,000+ yard receiver.

Actually, Julio Jones dipped down again in his third year because he couldn't stay healthy, and it wasn't until his fourth year that he showed he could dominate as a receiver.

Also, a lot of the receivers you mentioned were the only options on their team. DeAndre Hopkins came on as Andre Johnson became ineffective. ODB had no other help in the receiving corps. Landry was simply a high volume target guy because of who else was in the receiving corps. AJ Green was the only option and a high volume target guy.

Miami hasn't given DeVante the high volume of targets like a lot of other receivers have gotten. Miami also doesn't need that from him. There are also plenty of other first round receivers, like Tavon Austin or Jordan Matthews, that have had nice careers but didn't become colossal receiving threats. So quit acting like DeVante hasn't shown anything,, because he has. And like other posters mention, with a healthy 16 game season, Parker is a 1,000+ yard receiver.

read n weap. the truth.

Thank you. Don't even need to respond now. This says all. You can always make a list of guys who broke out year 1, 2, 3, or 4. But to write a guy off after not breaking out in year 2 is absolutely ridiculous.

Pretty much every receiver listed had a much higher volume of targets than Parker has had. None of those guys were in a group led by a ball dominant receiver like Landry, or with a tailback who had three 200+ rushing yard games in a season. A lot of those guys were force fed.

Back
Top Bottom