Dolphins show interest in Aaron Murray | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins show interest in Aaron Murray

fishfanmiami

Let's go Dolphins
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
We already now the Dolphins are showing interest in former University of Miami quarterback Stephen Morris. Well, they're apparently somewhat keen on former Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray as well.
A league source tells me Murray has met with some Dolphins representatives during the current draft process and there could be a future meeting that would suggest a greater desire by the team to understand what makes Murray tick.
Murray, it must be mentioned, is not expected to be selected high in the draft. Despite being a four-year starter at Georgia and throwing threwing 121 TDs and only 41 interceptions, the player who competed at the highest level against SEC competition is considered a likely third-to-fifth round draft pick, depending on varying opinions.
Murray suffered a torn ACL in November and did not compete at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. But he was sufficiently recovered -- he'd say fully recovered -- to show his wares at the Georgia Pro Day.
Murray didn't seem to have any limitations at that workout -- which is stunning considering the knee reconstruction was done six months ago. But he did wear a brace for the session.
This is how NFL.com's Gil Brandt broke down Murray's Pro Day:
"Murray — who has 9 1/8-inch hands — threw 54 passes at the pro day, with just two that would be considered not catchable. He showed good velocity on the ball, but toward the end of the workout it appeared as if his arm got tired. His knee looked stable, but he did wear a brace on it.
"Murray — whose mother and father were both present to watch the workout — had a very good pro day. He’s a not-get-too-high or not-get-too-low type of player. If there’s a run on quarterbacks in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, he could wind up being selected in that round."
We'll see about that second-round prediction. Despite his NFL-caliber arm and production in college, Murray is not one of the new-thing running QBs. He's a pocket passer. And his size (6-1) is not prototypical. But then you come back to his production and, well, it makes a good case for him.
By the way, the fact the Dolphins are doing so much homework on Morris and Murray and other QBs should plant the seed that the team is seriously going to consider drafting a quarterback in this coming draft.
lIt may not happen early -- as Miami doesn't even have a complete offensive line to protect starter Ryan Tannehill so that's kind of sort of the priority -- but if a value pick in later rounds is available, new general manager Dennis Hickey may take him.

[video=youtube_share;uoeHh11H4YE]http://youtu.be/uoeHh11H4YE[/video]

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-the-pages-to-the-notebook.html#storylink=cpy

I really liked this guy at UG. Glad he's on our radar :up:

4th round at the very highest. I am open to it, as I'm high on Murray. Doubt it plays out that way though.

4th round sounds about right. His guy is tough as nails and seems to have great football smarts. Coming of an injury which seems to be a recurring theme around here. i could see him beating out Devlin for a spot.

Draft guys what do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting kid. Battle tested. Small though.

If Murray is on the board when the Phins pick in the 4th... they should think long and hard about selecting him.

Murray IMO is the best of the SEC QB's avialble. Given a yr or 2 of seasoning will be better than Devlin or Moore

Drafting him is a good idea in 4th round. We finally get the Brees clone after all these years.

I'd take him in the 4th a hundred times out of a hundred before taking Morris in the 6th or 7th.

I'm going to go out an limb here. I think there is absolutely zero chance we draft a QB. We have too many holes to fill to be wasting picks on fourth to seventh round QB's. I can see them maybe bringing in an undrafted QB.

I'm going to go out an limb here. I think there is absolutely zero chance we draft a QB. We have too many holes to fill to be wasting picks on fourth to seventh round QB's. I can see them maybe bringing in an undrafted QB.
Undrafted free agent is definitely a way they might go. But if a talent like Murray is there in the 4th round it might be hard to pass up. Especially with Moore and Devlin having contracts that expire after this season.

The Stephen Morris interest though shows that the UDFA route is definitely on the table. If they go that way, it will be Devlin, Rodgers and the UDFA for the 3rd spot. I assume Devlin will keep his job in that case.

Makes sense only if they plan on cutting Devlin. We have to come away with 3 starting caliber players, and still needs load of depth everywhere else.

You maybe right and they may go with the guys they have but it's nice they are doing their homework just in case someone they really like falls a little.

Guess it all depends on if they think Devlin is the guy to backup Ryan should Moore leave next year as Nubs mentioned.
I don't know the answer to that.

Like I said just my opinion and you can bust my balls if I am wrong. I would hate it if it happened and I would find it hard pressed if a new GM took a chance on a 4th round QB over filling one of his needs with the best available LB,G,T or a WR in a deep draft. Should be able to find a player there that will contribute next season rather than having a guy that may not see the light of day any time soon. I just don't see the Dolphins as team of having the luxury of making that pick.

Back
Top Bottom