Dolphins show interest in antoine Bethea | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins show interest in antoine Bethea

Quadfather

Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins held multiple discussions Friday about the prospect of signing Colts restricted free agent Antoine Bethea, sources said Saturday. The odds still remain low on such a deal, but it nonetheless speaks to the extent to which Miami is willing to ponder.
Bethea, a rising star in the league, would be a clear upgrade for Gibril Wilson's recently vacated spot.
The issue is, he would come with a huge cost. Because the Colts placed a first-round tender on Bethea, Miami would need to surrender its 12th overall pick while also offering a huge contract to get him.
It's possible the team could alleviate some of that by exploring a trade with the Colts -- perhaps packaging multiple less valuable picks -- but Indianapolis' depth concerns at safety could make the Colts reluctant to deal him.

- Miami Herald (i dont know how to quote it)

I also heard this on sirius radio with tim ryan and pat kirwin. i wouldnt give our first for bethea because we could just draft earl thomas at 12, but if we could package a second rounder and a 4th rounder or something, it could be worth it. bethea is a playmaker and a very good safety. hes a known commodity.

I don't see us giving up our first for him. If they could work out another deal for maybe, but I like Atogwe and Clark and they would not cost us a pick.

I don't see us giving up our first for him. If they could work out another deal for maybe, but I like Atogwe and Clark and they would not cost us a pick.

Atogwe all the way but Bethea is a rising star. He's only 25 & only getting better IMO.

Sorry, but that's just crazy talk. No way we give up our first round or even a package deal of higher picks to get Bethea when there are still two very good safties out there with pretty low tenders against them. Let's not be rash because Rolle didn't pan out. They had to figure they didn't have a great chance of getting him vs. the Giants. So please tell me they had a backup plan that didn't include giving away one or more of our top picks.

They might draft a safety at 12, but I can't see them trading their pick for Bethea.

What if the Dolphins swapped firsts and gave them a 3rd?

Colts F.O. is tops in the NFL there is no way Polian will trade lesser round picks for Bethea.. only way I see him comming to Miami is if we swap 1st round picks, No way Parcells will do that..

I doubt Earl Thomas or Eric Berry would be better than Bethea. He's great and proven. So if the front office is looking to get a significant upgrade at safety, I don't see why they wouldn't trade for Behtea. He's 25, some rookies are 25 coming out of the draft.

What if the Dolphins swapped firsts and gave them a 3rd?

That type of deal is the only type I would think would be in the discussion because I just can't get myself to believe Parcells/Ireland would give up the #12 pick for this guy. Just can't. :err:

The Dolphins held multiple discussions Friday about the prospect of signing Colts restricted free agent Antoine Bethea, sources said Saturday. The odds still remain low on such a deal, but it nonetheless speaks to the extent to which Miami is willing to ponder.
Bethea, a rising star in the league, would be a clear upgrade for Gibril Wilson's recently vacated spot.
The issue is, he would come with a huge cost. Because the Colts placed a first-round tender on Bethea, Miami would need to surrender its 12th overall pick while also offering a huge contract to get him.
It's possible the team could alleviate some of that by exploring a trade with the Colts -- perhaps packaging multiple less valuable picks -- but Indianapolis' depth concerns at safety could make the Colts reluctant to deal him.

- Miami Herald (i dont know how to quote it)

I also heard this on sirius radio with tim ryan and pat kirwin. i wouldnt give our first for bethea because we could just draft earl thomas at 12, but if we could package a second rounder and a 4th rounder or something, it could be worth it. bethea is a playmaker and a very good safety. hes a known commodity.

before i gave up my #12 pick for bethea i would rather give it to denver for marshall :hump:

Colts F.O. is tops in the NFL there is no way Polian will trade lesser round picks for Bethea.. only way I see him comming to Miami is if we swap 1st round picks, No way Parcells will do that..

But if you swap picks you are essentially getting 2 first round picks by taking the Colts pick and upgrading with a good and very young safety for a third. He's 25, you could have him in his prime and get a good 5-6 years out of him. You would be lucky to get that production out of any player you draft.

Back
Top Bottom