Dolphins show interest in antoine Bethea

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Quadfather, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Quadfather

Quadfather FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The Dolphins held multiple discussions Friday about the prospect of signing Colts restricted free agent Antoine Bethea, sources said Saturday. The odds still remain low on such a deal, but it nonetheless speaks to the extent to which Miami is willing to ponder.
    Bethea, a rising star in the league, would be a clear upgrade for Gibril Wilson's recently vacated spot.
    The issue is, he would come with a huge cost. Because the Colts placed a first-round tender on Bethea, Miami would need to surrender its 12th overall pick while also offering a huge contract to get him.
    It's possible the team could alleviate some of that by exploring a trade with the Colts -- perhaps packaging multiple less valuable picks -- but Indianapolis' depth concerns at safety could make the Colts reluctant to deal him.

- Miami Herald (i dont know how to quote it)

I also heard this on sirius radio with tim ryan and pat kirwin. i wouldnt give our first for bethea because we could just draft earl thomas at 12, but if we could package a second rounder and a 4th rounder or something, it could be worth it. bethea is a playmaker and a very good safety. hes a known commodity.

2. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

I don't see us giving up our first for him. If they could work out another deal for maybe, but I like Atogwe and Clark and they would not cost us a pick.

3. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Atogwe all the way but Bethea is a rising star. He's only 25 & only getting better IMO.

4. JFoxx

JFoxx Seasoned Veteran

Sorry, but that's just crazy talk. No way we give up our first round or even a package deal of higher picks to get Bethea when there are still two very good safties out there with pretty low tenders against them. Let's not be rash because Rolle didn't pan out. They had to figure they didn't have a great chance of getting him vs. the Giants. So please tell me they had a backup plan that didn't include giving away one or more of our top picks.

5. Ricky4Life

Ricky4Life Repin the MIA in AZ!!

I like Bethea don't get me wrong. Just don't see this FO giving up our 12th overall pick for him.

6. Troysif

Troysif A True Fan Donator

I don't see them giving up the 12 pick either. The front office likes building through the draft.

7. Dolfan1000

Dolfan1000 Hall Of Famer

Smokescreen...

I don't buy it.

8. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

They might draft a safety at 12, but I can't see them trading their pick for Bethea.

9. AlphaPHIN

AlphaPHIN Well-Known Member

What if the Dolphins swapped firsts and gave them a 3rd?

10. AtticusFinz

AtticusFinz pu55yFartManufacturer

Colts F.O. is tops in the NFL there is no way Polian will trade lesser round picks for Bethea.. only way I see him comming to Miami is if we swap 1st round picks, No way Parcells will do that..

11. reddbaron

reddbaron Supa Dupa.

I doubt Earl Thomas or Eric Berry would be better than Bethea. He's great and proven. So if the front office is looking to get a significant upgrade at safety, I don't see why they wouldn't trade for Behtea. He's 25, some rookies are 25 coming out of the draft.

12. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

That type of deal is the only type I would think would be in the discussion because I just can't get myself to believe Parcells/Ireland would give up the #12 pick for this guy. Just can't. :err:

13. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

very creative thought.....The Colts still might be reluctant to trade their only productive secondary player....

14. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

before i gave up my #12 pick for bethea i would rather give it to denver for marshall :hump:

15. AlphaPHIN

AlphaPHIN Well-Known Member

But if you swap picks you are essentially getting 2 first round picks by taking the Colts pick and upgrading with a good and very young safety for a third. He's 25, you could have him in his prime and get a good 5-6 years out of him. You would be lucky to get that production out of any player you draft.

16. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/3/11/1367949/jerry-jones-kremlinology-what-will

Seems like Miami is not the only team after Bethea. I wonder if negotiations have continued.

17. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

18. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

I guess the Fins making Dansby the richest ILB does not make you happy. Clark is & was not big ****, so hearing them he was given a small contract does not surprise me. Rolle was offered 32 million he accepted 5 million more from the NYG which he will probably have to pay in taxes. Every thread I read you keep making comments of Miami being cheap. They re-sined Pennington, Ferguson & made Dansby the richest ILB in the game today.

Last year they signed Grove, Wilson & re-signed Crowder, Bell & Carey.

19. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

That makes sense don't sign the 2 FS that only cost us money. Yet lets go after the guy that cost us picks, not to mention he is still going to want to be paid like Rolle. This FO does not part with high draft picks, if they trade it is usually 4th round picks and below.

20. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj A True Fan

they didn't want to break the bank for a 30yo FS with a serious blood disease and 2 missing organs and now you are pissy all the time

turn the page already

the guy could have 1 leg but as long as he is "the best FS available" then we just have to have him

we got a prize FA in a horrible year for FA, be happy for once

21. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

Rolle is really overrated Bethea is a hell of a FS.

22. fgrocker

fgrocker Starter

With our luck we'd get Bethea for next year's second, and somehow Berry would fall to us at #12.

23. PATSSUCK

PATSSUCK A True Fan

He likes to complain, but we love him anyways . :woot:

24. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Yeah and Wilson was a huge bust as was Ernest Wilford...Carey is average, Grove is injury prone and Crowder blows. So what's your point??

25. Sean

Sean Just Win, Baby

DE76, stop being such a Negative Nancy.

At least your from Wisconsin...... Me too, I can credit you with that.

26. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

The point is your claims of us being cheap are far from the truth. And Carey is one of the best RT in the league actually.

27. Quadfather

Quadfather FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

thats exactly what i thought. that would solve the free safety issue and then we could take demarious thomas, goldan tate or terrance cody or dan williams at 31. that would solve two out of 4 problems. (FS, DT, WR, OLB).

28. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

As for Bethea no thanks. He's nothing special in coverage, and really isn't worth the #12 pick. Would rather have Earl Thomas.

29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

We keep hearing that the Bills are hot on Tyler Thigpen. I happen to know that Bill Polian had Donte Whitner rated as one of the very best players in that entire draft. What if we could pry Whitner out of Buffalo using Thigpen, and then turn around and package Whitner and let's say a 2nd round pick for Bethea?

In essence, you'd be getting Bethea for Thigpen and a 2nd.

Ask me, that's a hell of a deal. Bethea is a fantastic safety. People ALWAYS overestimate draft prospects. Antoine Bethea >> Earl Thomas, especially in 2010.

30. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

31. twg76

twg76 Proverbs 3:5-6

If Bethea is the best FS out there right now, and Miami could get him, they could call him their first round pick by giving it to the Colts. The contract is always high for a 1st round pick anyways. So I guess it comes down to this... is there anyone in the draft, at any position, who will be available at #12, that is better than Bethea? If the answer is no, then it isn't a big deal to trade the #12 pick away to the Colts for Bethea. I would be for it. He's 25 and a rising, proven star.

Oh yeah... and Miami's first round pick is much higher than anyone else's who would be interested in Bethea. That makes them the top candidate to get him in a trade.

32. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm on the fence about this one due to the cost involved. I don't see the Phins giving their first. Their very low 3rd and a conditional pick (perhaps another 3rd) next year might do the job.

33. etsudolfan

etsudolfan A True Fan

while I and everyone else on here would love that deal....the Colts would probably laugh and hang up the phone

34. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Yeah I agree. You MIGHT be able to coax them into the #43 pick if you're able to secure Donte Whitner for them, because I know Bill Polian is probably still very high on him and he doesn't have what the Bills want which is a QB, OT or NT.

35. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

Which is probably what happened, thus no more rumblings of the Bethea interest. The Colts hold the cards. If they don't want to lose him, the only thing they have to do is match or for spite let him go for a first. They have no incentive in giving him up for no 3rd round pick. If so, they'd had tendered him the 2nd round tender. BUt they went with the #1 pick tender.

36. PhinsPhan11

PhinsPhan11 Phins & Philly Sports

If they do make a deal for him, great. But if they don't here are others out there.

37. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

Yeah exactly.

I love how everyone wants the elite players but aren't willing to part with what they're worth. You hear all kinds of guys saying, "let's give up a 2nd rounder for Marshall" and now a 3rd and a conditional 3rd for Bethea. Are you out of your mf'n mind?

The Colts have one of the best FS in the NFL and you think they will part ways with him for a 3rd rounder? Doubt it.

38. bigtony989

bigtony989 Starter

quick question whats up with bob sanders

39. 52CANES

52CANES Well-Known Member

Yeah if you swap firsts you get Bethea and then come out and get Jerry Hughes, Cody, Kindle, etc.... not a bad idea

40. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

But unrealistic.

41. TheBow305

TheBow305 Starter

I'd do this for sure. Then I would trade that pick #31 for Brandon Marshall. :up:

42. SizzlingFins04

SizzlingFins04 The Futures of the NFL

He was injured last season and he"s a SS not FS :boohoo:

43. ssnjamerson

ssnjamerson Well-Known Member

I cant believe were even having this conversation. Trade for a S instead of a WR. Why would you trade for Bethea when Marshall can be had for the same price. That would be like giving up a 1st for Rod Woodson when you can get Jerry Rice instead. Which one do you do. You can get a starting caliber S in the 2nd round like Nate Allen or Reshad Jones. Im not sold on Marshall being a problem child. Their are domestic disputes in everyday life but he is a NFL player so its in the news. Who would be happy in Denver with Orton throwing you the ball or not being able to breathe in the mile high climate.. Basically you dont give up a 1st for a probowl safety when you can get a probowl WR for the same price tag.

44. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Bethea's contract would be closer to the top 2 picks not a 12, especially after what a good but not great Rolle got (highest paid safety). Bethea is younger and better and will exceed that contract, that maybe the only reason why Indy would deal him.

I could see them swapping 1st's, get a 3rd and also wanting some players to help their defense out.

45. BostonFinFan13

BostonFinFan13 Scout Team

We should trade back into the later part of the 1st round with another team who wants someone in the top 12. Pick up another 2nd and sign Bethea losing the higher 1st round pick.

46. Cloudy

Cloudy MustNotSleep-MustWarnOthers

I wouldn't mind the whole swapping picks concept while picking up Bethea. In fact i'm almost for the idea.

47. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Drafting or trading a high pick; means giving up on Chris Clemons?

48. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

Not me. We were fairly productive on Offense last season even with the Wrs we had. We put up points the problem was our safety and linebacker play was horrible. Our Lbs couldnt cover in the middle of the field and we couldnt make tackles in the open field. We tried to address this with Dansby and if we could also add a young proven safety we would have improved greatly in key areas of need. Adding Marshall wont stop anyone from scoring and that is what this team was unable to do last season. If you watch the saints and colts games you will see. These are the two super bowl teams and 2 of the top teams in the league. If we had Marshall in those games the outcome would have been the same. If we had Bethea and Dansby i doubt we would have lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  49. Coltsfan8663

Coltsfan8663 Child Please.....

I'm 95% sure that Bethea stays in Indy. He's not going anywhere.