Dolphins show interest in antoine Bethea | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins show interest in antoine Bethea

If Bethea is the best FS out there right now, and Miami could get him, they could call him their first round pick by giving it to the Colts. The contract is always high for a 1st round pick anyways. So I guess it comes down to this... is there anyone in the draft, at any position, who will be available at #12, that is better than Bethea? If the answer is no, then it isn't a big deal to trade the #12 pick away to the Colts for Bethea. I would be for it. He's 25 and a rising, proven star.

Oh yeah... and Miami's first round pick is much higher than anyone else's who would be interested in Bethea. That makes them the top candidate to get him in a trade.

I'm on the fence about this one due to the cost involved. I don't see the Phins giving their first. Their very low 3rd and a conditional pick (perhaps another 3rd) next year might do the job.

I'm on the fence about this one due to the cost involved. I don't see the Phins giving their first. Their very low 3rd and a conditional pick (perhaps another 3rd) next year might do the job.
while I and everyone else on here would love that deal....the Colts would probably laugh and hang up the phone

Yeah I agree. You MIGHT be able to coax them into the #43 pick if you're able to secure Donte Whitner for them, because I know Bill Polian is probably still very high on him and he doesn't have what the Bills want which is a QB, OT or NT.

while I and everyone else on here would love that deal....the Colts would probably laugh and hang up the phone

Which is probably what happened, thus no more rumblings of the Bethea interest. The Colts hold the cards. If they don't want to lose him, the only thing they have to do is match or for spite let him go for a first. They have no incentive in giving him up for no 3rd round pick. If so, they'd had tendered him the 2nd round tender. BUt they went with the #1 pick tender.

Yeah exactly.

I love how everyone wants the elite players but aren't willing to part with what they're worth. You hear all kinds of guys saying, "let's give up a 2nd rounder for Marshall" and now a 3rd and a conditional 3rd for Bethea. Are you out of your mf'n mind?

The Colts have one of the best FS in the NFL and you think they will part ways with him for a 3rd rounder? Doubt it.

But if you swap picks you are essentially getting 2 first round picks by taking the Colts pick and upgrading with a good and very young safety for a third. He's 25, you could have him in his prime and get a good 5-6 years out of him. You would be lucky to get that production out of any player you draft.

Yeah if you swap firsts you get Bethea and then come out and get Jerry Hughes, Cody, Kindle, etc.... not a bad idea

I cant believe were even having this conversation. Trade for a S instead of a WR. Why would you trade for Bethea when Marshall can be had for the same price. That would be like giving up a 1st for Rod Woodson when you can get Jerry Rice instead. Which one do you do. You can get a starting caliber S in the 2nd round like Nate Allen or Reshad Jones. Im not sold on Marshall being a problem child. Their are domestic disputes in everyday life but he is a NFL player so its in the news. Who would be happy in Denver with Orton throwing you the ball or not being able to breathe in the mile high climate.. Basically you dont give up a 1st for a probowl safety when you can get a probowl WR for the same price tag.

If Bethea is the best FS out there right now, and Miami could get him, they could call him their first round pick by giving it to the Colts. The contract is always high for a 1st round pick anyways. So I guess it comes down to this... is there anyone in the draft, at any position, who will be available at #12, that is better than Bethea? If the answer is no, then it isn't a big deal to trade the #12 pick away to the Colts for Bethea. I would be for it. He's 25 and a rising, proven star.

Oh yeah... and Miami's first round pick is much higher than anyone else's who would be interested in Bethea. That makes them the top candidate to get him in a trade.

Bethea's contract would be closer to the top 2 picks not a 12, especially after what a good but not great Rolle got (highest paid safety). Bethea is younger and better and will exceed that contract, that maybe the only reason why Indy would deal him.

I could see them swapping 1st's, get a 3rd and also wanting some players to help their defense out.

We should trade back into the later part of the 1st round with another team who wants someone in the top 12. Pick up another 2nd and sign Bethea losing the higher 1st round pick.

Back
Top Bottom