Dolphins to host Marqise Lee tomorrow | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to host Marqise Lee tomorrow

Lee was underrated for a while due to too much preoccupation with drops.

I never understand that. If a receiver isn't dangerous enough or instinctive enough, that shows up on every play. But if you bypass a guy due to concern about his hands, you better be damned confident in the guy you end up with instead. After all, when a guy like Lee bursts into the clear, and suddenly he's not on your team only because you hated his hands, you've got to be petrified, and the odds are hardly in your favor. Do you really think he's going to drop that ball? What are the odds on that? The difference in catch percentage between the guy with the fewest drops in the league and the most drops in the league is very low. It's an overstated category.

I got over the whole "Hands" thing long ago.

Crabtree, for instance, alwasy highpointed the ball well in school, but alligator armed the hell
out of the ball in the NFC championship, and, wasn't aggressive/hasn't been aggressive to the ball
at all.

I guess that it gets down to evaluating the drop-off in talent of O-linemen and mike linebackers, in assessing a high luxury pick on a ranked top playmaker. It would be very nice to have the luxury to draft Marquis Lee (or another top WR prospect like Allen Robinson) if we knew that there was a high likelihood of decent O-linemen that fit the ZBS will be available in later rounds. However, the risk averse evaluator quotes a line from the movie, Dead Poet Society - gather ye rosebuds while ye may - ie get your most basic needs as soon as you can.
It will be really interesting to see the decision that Hickey makes in 3 weeks. Play it relatively safe or take a decent risk.

The actual quote is from the poem - To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time
By Robert Herrick

I guess that it gets down to evaluating the drop-off in talent of O-linemen and mike linebackers, in assessing a high luxury pick on a ranked top playmaker. It would be very nice to have the luxury to draft Marquis Lee (or another top WR prospect like Allen Robinson) if we knew that there was a high likelihood of decent O-linemen that fit the ZBS will be available in later rounds. However, the risk averse evaluator quotes a line from the movie, Dead Poet Society - gather ye rosebuds while ye may - ie get your most basic needs as soon as you can.
It will be really interesting to see the decision that Hickey makes in 3 weeks. Play it relatively safe or take a decent risk.

The actual quote is from the poem - To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time
By Robert Herrick

With virgins, the paradigm remains the same.

With positions and players, it shifts.

I understand why Miami could be interested in a WR @ #19. I figure with 2 highly priced WR's already on the roster in Hartline and Wallace, drafting their POTENTIAL replacement makes sense in a very, very deep WR class. Another reason could be just getting value at #19 because your need of an O-Lineman doesn't meet the value unless it's Zach Martin, who may not be available. Lee is supremely talented and is going somewhat under the radar or under appreciated in the 1st round. I believe in any other less talented draft, Lee would certainly be discussed in the top 8-10 picks. I like the due diligence being done by Miami with regards to the WR's they seem to be interested in and have been meeting with. Lee is polished and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. I like his game alot and feel he'd not only would make Miami's WR core one of the best in the NFL, but also give Miami cap flexibility 2-3 years down the road, when Tannehill's contract is up for renewal. While I understand the arguments being made about Lee's injuries and drops, I'm not sure those negatives take away from the actual talent level he possesses and brings to the table in year 1, as opposed to drafting someone else and having to develop that player. I would rather not reach for a player at #19, if Zach Martin is not available, and draft the most talented player available whether it be a WR, Safety or LB.

I understand why Miami could be interested in a WR @ #19. I figure with 2 highly priced WR's already on the roster in Hartline and Wallace, drafting their POTENTIAL replacement makes sense in a very, very deep WR class. Another reason could be just getting value at #19 because your need of an O-Lineman doesn't meet the value unless it's Zach Martin, who may not be available. Lee is supremely talented and is going somewhat under the radar or under appreciated in the 1st round. I believe in any other less talented draft, Lee would certainly be discussed in the top 8-10 picks. I like the due diligence being done by Miami with regards to the WR's they seem to be interested in and have been meeting with. Lee is polished and a playmaker with the ball in his hands. I like his game alot and feel he'd not only would make Miami's WR core one of the best in the NFL, but also give Miami cap flexibility 2-3 years down the road, when Tannehill's contract is up for renewal. While I understand the arguments being made about Lee's injuries and drops, I'm not sure those negatives take away from the actual talent level he possesses and brings to the table in year 1, as opposed to drafting someone else and having to develop that player. I would rather not reach for a player at #19, if Zach Martin is not available, and draft the most talented player available whether it be a WR, Safety or LB.
5 Mil at this stage isn't bad for Hartline.

But I do think we should draft the best WR if he is out there. Watkins, Lee, whomever.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

If Miami drafts him he will make Hartline expendable next offseason.
No he won't. I promise

I would rather have Watkind, Evans, Moncrief, or Kevin Benjamin, but he would suffice. I have a bad feeling about Lee and injuries. Call it a gut feeling.

I love this kid. The youtube video for a guy who didn't time great he sure as hell was running behind a lot of people or pulling away from them. Would love the pick. Love it.

As much as I like lee we arent taking him in round one

Miami doesn't draft WR's in the first round....ok, there was the brain fart when we took Ted Ginn, and then I think we also went with Yatil Green in 1997? There is no reason to reach for one in round one.

I would rather have Watkind, Evans, Moncrief, or Kevin Benjamin, but he would suffice. I have a bad feeling about Lee and injuries. Call it a gut feeling.

What does everyone see in Benjamin? He's not 1st round worthy. Too many easy drops, can't block worth crap, the list goes on.

I'm a huge Trojan fan, and I can tell you Lee would have exploded if it weren't for Kiffen starting Max Wittek over Kessler half the year at QB.

If Miami drafts him he will make Hartline expendable next offseason.

Without question.

And a playmaking WR at the number 2 spot will make people realize how stupid it is to get high on massively limited WRs and skill position players.

People will see how easily Hartline is upgraded -- as quickly as they saw how easily Bess was upgraded.

LD

Lee is by far the most fluid receiver though.. Gets in and out of breaks with ease

Back
Top Bottom