Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Well the games are getting rougher.

The Dolphins today are expected to lower Adewale Ogunleye's one-year contract tender from $1.8 million to about $412,000 in a move to protect their interests in case the team's 2003 MVP sits out training camp and most of the regular season.

Here's the part that kills me OGun would only get $146,000 for the 6 games.

Ogunleye would get six seventeenths of $412,000 (about $146,000) in that case. The club also is aware that it would have to find suitable replacements for Ogunleye should he sit out, and having the extra cap space can help the team bring in players if necessary

Dolphins to lower offer to Ogunleye

Now that is just some disturbing news that the two sides are resorting to this! :shakeno: I really hope they get there acts together and work out a deal!

Being a proud owner of a #93 Ogunleye jersey (i bought it last year during preseason) I hope he resigns. What a waste if i can only wear it for a year.

I think this will show Ogun and rosenhaus that the Dolphins mean business. He doesnt hold the upper hand in negotiations and he isnt going to get everything he wants. A big thing to him also is if he sits out the 10 games, he will only make 140k for the year. Might be a big deterrent for him.

Hopefully

COME ON WALE.......SIGN A DEAL ALREADY

the team had to do this since OGun has not reported and is not close to signing. Why use 1.8 mil in cap space for someone who may only be inactive for 6 games

Justasportsfan said:
you're out of rythm :lol:

The Bills are still going to get beat when they play Miami, one player does not change that :D

Right back at ya buddy. :mdfin:

That's 7 million dollars a year we can't afford on defense. The Bills spent an azz of money last year on defense. What did it get them?

I don't want to discount the attributes of a good D but this amount (over 35 million) for a starting defense is past ridiculous.

Offense anyone?

dolphan39 said:
the team had to do this since OGun has not reported and is not close to signing. Why use 1.8 mil in cap space for someone who may only be inactive for 6 games

I agree with this. Why would you leave an offer on the table that he wont sign anyway that cost you an xtra 1.4 million against the cap. Even though they lowered the tender offer they can still sign him for more if they want. If he wants to be a :cry: Baby and sit out then we have the money to replace him or spend it on another postion. I believe in paying players what they are worth, but the team cant let the players hold them hostage. I think it was a great move by the Dolphins.

As much as I hate to see negotiations deteriorate between the two sides, I think this is a wise move on the Dolphins part. If O-Gun is really ready to sit out the first 10 games, why should he be paid so much? The answer is he shouldn't. O-Gun used to be one of my faves but he is falling fast in my (and many others) books. His attitude is me-first and selfish and his refusal to play out the final year on his contract is only going to hurt him (and the Fins, but not as much). Think about the contract offers he's gonna get from other teams after his spoiled-baby attitude has been exposed. Besides, who is going to be willing to offer top dollar to some D-End who sits out and only plays 6 games?

A message to you O-Gun: don't be an idiot and listen to Drew all the time. If you really think you're that good, play one more year and cash in big time next year. Many of us used to really like you but more and more we're realizing the real person that you are. Sit out if you like, it's not gonna help you at all.

phatmatt said:
As much as I hate to see negotiations deteriorate between the two sides, I think this is a wise move on the Dolphins part. If O-Gun is really ready to sit out the first 10 games, why should he be paid so much? The answer is he shouldn't. O-Gun used to be one of my faves but he is falling fast in my (and many others) books. His attitude is me-first and selfish and his refusal to play out the final year on his contract is only going to hurt him (and the Fins, but not as much). Think about the contract offers he's gonna get from other teams after his spoiled-baby attitude has been exposed. Besides, who is going to be willing to offer top dollar to some D-End who sits out and only plays 6 games?

A message to you O-Gun: don't be an idiot and listen to Drew all the time. If you really think you're that good, play one more year and cash in big time next year. Many of us used to really like you but more and more we're realizing the real person that you are. Sit out if you like, it's not gonna help you at all.

That's IF the Phins let him back for those 6 games. If they've gone and signed a replacement... you think they're gonna let him waltz back in for 6 games and start? Don't think so. So change that to an offer for a DE who hasn't played a game in well over a year(this offseason + this season + next offseason). Ogun is so screwing himself.

phatmatt said:

Here's the bottom line:

The Dolphins don't want to be put in a position where they are rewarding Ogunleye for sitting out much of the season.

It only makes sense for the Dolphins to make this move.

This is what the Restricted Free Agent rule is all about. Your union approved these rules, Wally: abide by them.

ZOD said:
Right back at ya buddy. :mdfin:

That's 7 million dollars a year we can't afford on defense. The Bills spent an azz of money last year on defense. What did it get them?

QUOTE] A 30th ranked D the prior year to no. 2 last year. We still have ton of cap space next year. :D In the meantime, your D dropped a few ranks inspite of Wally's contribution that I'm hopin will be gone this year :mdfin: .

If I have read the articles in this morning's papers correctly, the Dolphins have to make the move today or they could not lower the tender offer later. They can always sign him to a long term contract or even a higher one year if they later choose.

Back
Top Bottom