Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall

CK im glad u flipped on this. Earlier I read u agreeing with Omar on Twitter they made themselves worse by cutting him. I did not deem that possible. Plain and simple hes not very good.

I didn't change my opinion at all. Did you read what I wrote on twitter? Did you read the article?

Richard Marshall was a good slot corner but that's it. The Dolphins cut a good slot corner so they're a worse team in 2013 because of the release. But they already HAVE a good slot corner, and they didn't need to keep paying $5 million for a player that essentially should have been their backup slot corner (which puts him what, like 5th down the depth chart?).

When you lose depth you've got a technically less talented team. No denying that. But you also lose about $10 million in salary obligations for 2013 and 2014 and that's a much bigger gain.

I didn't change my opinion at all. Did you read what I wrote on twitter? Did you read the article?

Richard Marshall was a good slot corner but that's it. The Dolphins cut a good slot corner so they're a worse team in 2013 because of the release. But they already HAVE a good slot corner, and they didn't need to keep paying $5 million for a player that essentially should have been their backup slot corner (which puts him what, like 5th down the depth chart?).

When you lose depth you've got a technically less talented team. No denying that. But you also lose about $10 million in salary obligations for 2013 and 2014 and that's a much bigger gain.

CK, You've given new credibility to Bleacher. Good move by both.

You were right on Marshall's deal. I was wrong in posting it was only Patterson, got confused in researching the salary cap thread. :(

I'm thinking that I would rather have another $10M in cap space over keeping Patterson. Opinion?

Fair enough. I just dont think he'll be missed much at all.

CK, You've given new credibility to Bleacher. Good move by both.

You were right on Marshall's deal. I was wrong in posting it was only Patterson, got confused in researching the salary cap thread. :(

I'm thinking that I would rather have another $10M in cap space over keeping Patterson. Opinion?

As I've said for a long time now, Patterson/Marshall was an either-or thing. I thought Marshall had the edge because of A) tackling, B) being more of a leader, and C) versatility to move to safety at need which could come into play because all our backup safeties SUCK.

Then again, the factors that were NOT going in Marshall's favor in that competition were A) coming off a significant injury, and B) he was being outplayed by Patterson in camp. So the coaches went with Patterson over Marshall, and I can definitely understand that decision.

Think of the $10 million savings as money they could use to keep Brent Grimes in 2014.

At this point though if you ditch Patterson as well then you've got a real problem. You don't have five roster worthy corners anymore if you ditch Patterson. You also don't have anyone that's proven to be able to play the slot.

Patterson may be a goner in 2014 anyway. Nickel defense is now 50-60% of the defenses that NFL teams play. I think it's worthwhile to pay Patterson $4.5 million so that you don't have to have both Nolan Carroll and a rookie on the field at the same time on 50-60% of your plays. That $4.5 million is worth it so that you've at the very least got one competent corner playing a position he's good at, should Brent Grimes and that recovering Achilles of his have some kind of setback.

Id have to say after roster cutdowns they could pickup someone cheaper,younger with less medical concerns and not miss a beat. As u say he was being toasted.

Back
Top Bottom