Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall

CK im glad u flipped on this. Earlier I read u agreeing with Omar on Twitter they made themselves worse by cutting him. I did not deem that possible. Plain and simple hes not very good.

I understand that Marshall getting cut based on the economics of the situation...and that cannot be discounted. I understand the metrics (which I am not a fan of in terms of making assessments) and that Marshall was not lighting it up during camp.

With all that said, there is still the fact that Richard Marshall is still a better CB than Nolan Carroll, Will Davis and a banged up Jamar Taylor. I do not think the team is better today without Marshall. Also, I think the team made themselves vulnerable if injuries kick in.

I really hope CK is right that the team is better off without Marshall. Nolan Carroll is on the spot now.

I think your right because obviously since he was competing for the starting job he was better. Having Patterson and MArshall fight for a starting job is like having Nate Garner and Josh Sumuda fight for a starting job. Even if u win u are not a worthy starter

Carroll gave up too many yards last year because he was bailing on the plays, on 3rd down corners don't need to bail they need to be aggressive to prevent1st downs and IMO Carroll doesn't do that at all, he's not a ball hawk, he's not good in man coverage, and he gives up too much yardarge to average receivers, I believe that he's on the bubble to make this team.

I've seen his tackling plenty. I know how shameful it can be. But two things:

1) Sean Smith's tackling has improved quite a bit since he entered the league and you'd think Davis' could too (maybe?)
2) Nobody would give two sh-ts about Sean Smith's tackling if he actually intercepted footballs

Sorry, can't agree with that statement in the case of the Fins. Maybe in other teams where there are other DBs who can make up for a tackling issue with one player. But at the Fins we have Nolan Carroll who isn't a forceful tackler, Clemons who isn't a forceful tackler, Grimes who isn't a bad tackler but who doesn't have the size and Patterson who is an OK tackler. Really, only Jones is a dominant tackler behind the LBs.

I do care if Davis gets INTs but can't tackle. You can't have your entire DB corps weak or just adequate at one of the fundamental requirements of any defensive player. If I had to sacrifice a pick or 2 so I could have Jamar Taylor lock down that side of the field, I would do it. Taylor will get picks anyway (4 INTs last year), Patterson will, Jones will and Grimes certainly will.

Davis to me is Grimes' understudy. Sit and learn from a CB whose skills Davis has a shot at mastering over time. I would shudder at having the two of them on the boundaries with Clemons manning the middle.

Patterson is a scrub, plain and simple

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

No truer words have been spoken. I feel like Ray Lucas was just named starting qb. Not sure why to some people just because they are on our team a player becomes good

clear.gif

lol!!

will davis is a poor tackler there's no doubt about that but i think personally his issue lies in lack of strength more than anything...i mean he's never gonna be vontae davis in run support or a known sure tackler/hitter but if he gets stronger and can use his hands more to hide his lack of speed his ball skills and awareness may make up for it enough...

right now though the issue is the kid lacks at just about everything but ball skills and awareness...a year in the offseason program and more reps and we may have a solid player...right now i think we got a target to go after as much as possible

Yeah, Davis is a poor tackler but in preseason (and college) he has shown that he's a willing tackler. The issue is that he either doesn't finish or he puts his head down. As he learns it's not an issue.

Having watched some things from both he and Jamar Taylor though, both show very good instincts at coming up quickly to plays in front of them. Yeah Davis can get tricked easily, but there is film out there of him being very good at getting down to a play. and stopping it.

Now for the next thread that the dolphins are better off without Dmitri Patterson, then Austin spitler and so on

I think our pass rush will help out the secondary, and I look for Taylor to replace Carroll by mid-season ad the nickel boundary corner. Marshall/Patterson... both will be gone in '14

The reality is that we are going to play both of our rookie CB's. Frankly, I think it is the right move. They are going to take a lot of lumps, be burned occasionally (or in Davos' case a lot) but they will create turnovers and gain much-needed experience. Be prepared for a rocky road, because it is part of the growth process.

Marshall was given a fair shot and ample opportunities to claim the job. He was not impressive. Time to look for other options. IMHO, Patterson earned the spot and is the better player. Its preferable to grow our CB's this year while we still have Can Wake at his peak and lots of talented DL to cover some of the troubles.

Back
Top Bottom