Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall

really like who? Name one good player u would like to have as your starter that has bounced around 6 teams.
Players bounce around the league because they have deficiencies like attitude or lack of talent.
The basis is he wasn't good last year. I mean what can u judge a player on.

Randy Moss has played for 5 teams 6 if you count 2 stops in Min!

From the end of the column, "took a step in rectifying a previous mistake."

That's it exactly. Marshall and Artis Hicks weren't good signings last year. I objected to both. Combined you were paying a lot of money and there wasn't a special trait among the two. Ireland was like an ebay bidder fixated on winning a specific auction regardless of price or quality.

Ireland has demonstrated far better instincts this year, perhaps quietly and patiently schooled by Philbin. I remember emphasizing in the Wallace/Jennings debate that you were better off targeting one of them, not both, and it should be the younger more explosive guy. Grimes is the type of injury gamble that can pay off. Keller had savvy and fit a need. Trading up cheaply to grab a special athlete near the top of the draft is a move that normally will pay off. I'm still not convinced about the linebackers, particularly Wheeler, but at least they have speed and explosive playmaking possibilities.

Congrats to Chris on the Bleacher Report gig. Lots of impressive content on that site. Right now there's a lag like an old political poll that was taken before the terrain changed. Many fans still instinctively rip the site, based on reputation from a couple of years ago, and with confidence that others will agree and pat them on the back.

Besides, a byline can lead to notice and opportunity elsewhere.

he's no revis in his prime yet...
Not too many people are haha. Im thinking you are right on people avoiding Grimes as much as possible. Obviously depends on the coverage, but we will probably rolling safety help towards Carrol/Patterson as much as we can

It's about average to slightly better than average I believe, for the perimeter. Especially the yards per attempt.

If you're saying "obviously there is a ways to go" then it kind of implies that I'm trying to paint a picture of Nolan Carroll as a top corner or some such. I'm really not. But there is a plurality out there that will attempt to convince you that Nolan Carroll was a walking dumpster fire a year ago, and he really wasn't.
I know what you were trying to say. I was just stating that there's a ways to go if he's ever going to develop into a top flight corner.

I understand that Marshall getting cut based on the economics of the situation...and that cannot be discounted. I understand the metrics (which I am not a fan of in terms of making assessments) and that Marshall was not lighting it up during camp.

With all that said, there is still the fact that Richard Marshall is still a better CB than Nolan Carroll, Will Davis and a banged up Jamar Taylor. I do not think the team is better today without Marshall. Also, I think the team made themselves vulnerable if injuries kick in.

I really hope CK is right that the team is better off without Marshall. Nolan Carroll is on the spot now.

Not too many people are haha. Im thinking you are right on people avoiding Grimes as much as possible. Obviously depends on the coverage, but we will probably rolling safety help towards Carrol/Patterson as much as we can

peterson carries himself like he's gods gift to the position...he's not to date...revis carries himself that way and for good reason...he has been...there was 2 years there with revis where i never saw anything close to that level overall cb play...as dominant as any player play any position i have ever seen...rediculous really

there aren't many top flight corners in football right now definitely not many shut down lock you down ones but yeah i'd put peterson probably somewhere in the top 8...i just thought hartline did more work against him last year than any wr of that level should ever be able to do against an "elite" corner...revis would have locked hartline up and worn him like drapes...

different level imo

Jamar Taylor has the talent to make this situation work. However, he needs reps in practice.

just pray the pass rush gets home this year and we dont show so many double a gap blitzes like the cards did last year that once teams figure it out and have their protection schemes ready for it we get torched because of it...

pass rush doesn't get home we gonna have some issues in coverage and not just at corner...linebacker too...we lack instincts at lb even in the 1's...

teams aren't just gonna play right into our strengths...

I'm no expert but just based off my eye test Richard Marshall looked horrible even when healthy. Will Davis on the other hand looks like a real corner, I think he has the potential to be real good if he can resist the urge to gamble too much.

When the team drafted Taylor and Davis the writing was on the wall for at least one of the veteran CB's...right or wrong.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Let's see how it works out for the team.

Another thing that went against Marshall, was he didn't play on special teams. It was bad enough he wasn't a very good player, who has back issues. F/A has been questionable to say the least for Miami in the past, so let's hope, the 2013 F/A Class works out for the Dolphins. A lot more than the season is riding on it.

I would prefer Will Davis to step up and win that job if it means he's actually going to play well. The guy has great ball skills. But he's also susceptible deep, just like Patterson and just like Marshall.

Rookie corners are notorious for getting burned and letting up a bunch of catches and yards no matter how good they are. Even if it's future all-world Patrick Peterson, as a rookie he's still crap.
The only thing I will say is, go back and look at Davis' tape. In regards to tackling, we are looking at Sean Smith II. I do not want some that is not willing to stick his body in there and wrap up. The only corner that could get away with that is Deion Sanders and the last time I looked, he ain't Deion.

I've seen his tackling plenty. I know how shameful it can be. But two things:

1) Sean Smith's tackling has improved quite a bit since he entered the league and you'd think Davis' could too (maybe?)
2) Nobody would give two sh-ts about Sean Smith's tackling if he actually intercepted footballs

Marshall's biggest downfall was his bad back. Once that happened, he couldn't prove himself to people. He was kept for insurance and to compete with Patterson with money not being tight. Nolan Carroll is even more insurance. They don't like playing rookies a whole lot first year.

My thoughts were always Paterson was going to be the guy should one of the two be cut. Patterson is quicker/faster. I could care less about his ego. If he plays well, he sticks. Next year, different story but if the guy ends up with 3-6 Int's, I cant imagine he wont be resigned by Ireland who always liked him and that's why he took on his salary.

Back
Top Bottom