Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

Hmm Let's look at the article again..
1. According to league sources, the Dolphins have had extensive talks with Kansas City about acquiring Branden Albert for a second-round pick...doesn't say which 2nd round pick: Albert for a 2nd, he's a 1st rounder: would we get a LT like him in the 2nd? All of our deals have been for 2 years, and then we're good on the cap again to spend big..so we're not mortgaged...we were gonna pay Long around 6-7mil, so we switch that over to Albert..same differences for a guy who had less QB pressures than Jake..Okay I can accept that.
2. The source said talks have gotten to the point a physical for Albert is expected to occur, which is one of the necessary steps involved in pulling off a trade of this magnitude. Albert must pass the physical, then trade terms must be agreed to, and it is likely that a multi-year deal between Miami and Albert must be worked out.....So we have the physical to answer the concerns of those who brought up back problems,...... THEN trade terms Must be agreed to, so the trade terms aren't etched in stone at this point.....then it's LIKELY a mulit-year deal is given..not etch in stone either.
3. A team source said "the process has just begun," and admitted it is possible the Dolphins could wait until the first or second day of the draft, weighing all the options before finalizing a deal....So all of this could be a flyer to give the phins options based on what happens with our 1st round choice..so this deal may never leave the dock. And we have over 17 pages of messages about an option the phins are giving themselves in case the draft doesn't go the way they want it to go.
4. The Dolphins have two second-round picks and Ireland has openly acknowledged they'd be willing to trade one of them to either move up in the draft or acquire a solid veteran.....Ireland seems to be following his own stated plan..a solid Vet for ONE of the 2nd rounders. Does Albert meet that standard..probably yes.
5.Most draft analysts expect there will be an early run on offensive lineman this year, one that is reminiscent of the 2008 draft, which featured nine offensive tackles being selected in the first round. Therefore, Miami waiting to take one in the second-round could be risky....so Miami is hedging it's risk factor..that's reasonable.
6.Albert signed his franchise tender and is guaranteed $9.8 million this season. Any new deal would include that salary in 2013. This offseason, the top-rated offensive tackles received contracts that paid them an average salary of $7-8.5 million, which is a roll back from the previous $10 million a year range.

However, the Dolphins weren't willing to match the four-year, $34 million contract the Rams signed Jake Long for this offseason.

Counting Albert, the Dolphins do have a few options that might improve the offensive line.

Trading up to select one of the three elite offensive tackles is being considered, so is selecting North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper at No. 12, if he's still available. Cooper, the type of athletic offensive lineman coach Joe Philbin covets, is perceived as one of the top 15 players in this draft class. ....Let's see Kansas Franchised Albert at 9.8 mil, to do the same with Jake would have cost north if 15 mil.. We give an extension based on this year's salary's to top LT of 7-8.5 mil..instead of the 12 mil a year we were paying Jake..Hmmm sounds like saving's to me.

So right now it seem Miami is giving itself options, and we have a problem with that? Why? The only thing that would make this not a good deal is overpaying based on what top LT's are getting this year...we are definitely on the hook for the Franchise tender this year, but that can be work in his contract as 2 mil already paid and he gets the same 2 year deal everyone else has gotten and the books are clean 2 years from now as to not put us in salary cap problems. I don't see the problem with the explore option at this point..a LT we know can play in the NFL vs a maybe...with our QB, I like the KNOWN.

Now see THIS makes so much more sense. I can totally see this as a fall back plan, but we lose so much leverage by doing this now. Wait til draft day and see what we have available and then if we can't get what we want the price for Alberts will drop. This sounds more like the way Ireland is thinking and lines up better with the rest of this offseason. THANKS

This is where I think you and I are on different wave lengths..

Obviously we both want RT's blindside protected. But if they felt comfortable last year with Martin as the RT/backup LT in case long got hurt as a rookie.... what is to stop a similar situation for this year while Ryan already has a year of experience under his belt to help protect himself already.

I am clearly agreeing with you that Albert for one year skill to skill is better than any of the players we could draft this year without using a first round pick or trading up to get, I dont think the dropoff is to the level of "if we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a tackle instead of trading for and extending Albert that RT is doomed."

To me.... the one year "dropoff" is marginal, RT will be fine.. and if we hit on the pick (which is a whole another discussion)... then you have 4 years of improved LT for cheap before you even have to worry about extending giant dollars.

Understood!

give KC our 3rd and Randy Stark and call it a day.

Tbh if we were using Starks in the trade (who is also under the franchise tag) I don't think we'd have to add "any" picks but a straight up deal imo.

Yeah why give up 12 and one of our 2nds when we can secure a good LT with one second round pick. We then could go just about anywhere at #12

Albert was ranked 25th in the league as a left tackle last year people. That is bad!!! Why do all you people act like he's a Top 3 left tackle??!!

As much as I like Bess and don't want to see him go, it sounds like the Dolphins don't want him anymore. I wonder if he could be part of the deal, as KC could really use a WR. We trade Bess and a 3rd? round pick for Albert, keep both 2nds and free up some cap space, and draft Swope to replace Bess with our other 3rd? Just a thought. Thinking out loud here.

Absolutely they CAN afford Abraham. The $9mil per year is an AVERAGE. Didn't you pay attention to the Wallace deal? Wallace only counts for $3mil "this" year. Dawn Aponte knows what she's doing. She can sign Albert to a $9mil per year contract that only counts $3mil of the $16mil we have left and still sign Abraham for $6mil AND still have for the rookies and injury insurance. Smh

So what happens with all these back loaded contracts in 3 years? A lot of these players are going to have to be cut (then we will be taking caps hits with their guaranteed money) or asked to restructure their contracts. Just when we got out of cap trouble we are looking at the same thing again down the road plus having to cut a few good players. Dawn Aponte may be good but she still has to deal with reality.

There is no need to trade a 2nd round pick and pay a big salary for an overrated LT with back issues and a bad attitude. You can't seriously believe if they are paying Albert big money they would still consider signing John Abraham to another fairly large deal. People on here are really overvaluing Fat Albert, he's not that good and he's not worth the 9 million per year that he is asking (even if you will be only paying him 5 million this year it's all about the guaranteed money that could hurt the team down the road.) I would take a chance drafting one of the OT prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round before I would overpay for Fat Albert.

If Albert was this great LT why is KC wanting to trade him? If Albert was that good then they wouldn't be trying to get rid of him so badly. The Chiefs have a lot of other needs on their team and if they already had a great LT why would they want to trade him away. They could just work out a long term contract with him themselves and take another position of need in the draft. SMDH that people want to trade a high pick and over pay for an overrated OT. Let the Chiefs deal with their own problem or let someone else take it off their hands.

For those who say Omar is the only source, here's another

The Dolphins remain interested in trading for Chiefs tackle Branden Albert, and if completed would then likely target a cornerback with their first-round pick, according to league sources.

Miami is among the teams to discuss a deal with the Chiefs and continues to pursue that option, sources said, with the Chiefs seeking at least a second-round pick in return.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22092061/dolphins-interested-in-chiefs-ot-albert-then-could-target-cb-in-draft

Feel bad - Albert improves the offense immensely but why not just trade up and get a really good linemen in the draft on the rookie pay scale if you want to get someone so desperately. Ugh.

Because that costs us two picks at least if you do that and Albert has proven he can play.

I don't really like the idea of trading a second round pick and a huge contract. I do understand the thought process that you would be using one pick instead of two picks to get one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

While Albert is a good player and would solidify the left tackle position, a large contract and draft pick compensation is going to be tough to swallow when we could have just upped the offer for Jake Long. Long is also the better player.

Long is breaking down. The reality of long is that in 3 years IF he continues the trend he will be done in the NFL, while missing numerous games in the meantime. Long is not worth the money because he is breaking down. The skill is there but the body is not. I would NEVER have paid long what St. Louis did. They are taking a big risk that he will be healthy. Besides, my guess is that the contract Miami offered him was at least comparable and he turned it down to go to St. Louis.

Back
Top Bottom