Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

I don't really like the idea of trading a second round pick and a huge contract. I do understand the thought process that you would be using one pick instead of two picks to get one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

While Albert is a good player and would solidify the left tackle position, a large contract and draft pick compensation is going to be tough to swallow when we could have just upped the offer for Jake Long. Long is also the better player.

Agreed, but that time unfortunately has come and gone.

None of the ot you get in the late 2nd are gonna be close to as good as albert this year. Also i bet if you look up the salarys of that list of ots i bet they make quite a chunk of change.

They probably did since the draft salaries were totally different... but what is the point at looking how much they make now? We just spent enormous amounts of money and you need to balance that with cheap talent through the draft.... which is why drafted a QB, pass rusher, LT and other positions that are set to make giant sums of money in FA or with extensions... you get the 4 years of rookie contract cheap labor. Gives you flexibility with what you do, and enables you to amass talent all together.

What is wrong with a stopgap tackle this year and then draft one next year if they dont believe this year has talent in the 2nd/3rd rounds (which i highly doubt is the case)?

They probably did since the draft salaries were totally different... but what is the point at looking how much they make now? We just spent enormous amounts of money and you need to balance that with cheap talent through the draft.... which is why drafted a QB, pass rusher, LT and other positions that are set to make giant sums of money in FA or with extensions... you get the 4 years of rookie contract cheap labor. Gives you flexibility with what you do, and enables you to amass talent all together.

What is wrong with a stopgap tackle this year and then draft one next year if they dont believe this year has talent in the 2nd/3rd rounds (which i highly doubt is the case)?
I was on board with getting winston as a stop gap but obviously miami isnt.

Nope, they can't even afford Albert's salary unless they trade/cut someone.

Absolutely they CAN afford Abraham. The $9mil per year is an AVERAGE. Didn't you pay attention to the Wallace deal? Wallace only counts for $3mil "this" year. Dawn Aponte knows what she's doing. She can sign Albert to a $9mil per year contract that only counts $3mil of the $16mil we have left and still sign Abraham for $6mil AND still have for the rookies and injury insurance. Smh

You guys kill me with this money crap! NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and can be structured to minimize the risk, but I'll play along! Albert is still under contract correct? So this means he feels that he's out played his contract and wants a new long term deal. If we trade up to sign one of the rookies.. If they are as good as Albert before their contract is up guess what.... They could hold out for a new deal as well. Point is.. We will have to pay either way. Might as well pay for a proven commodity and he's only 28

This is so silly. Proven commodity?? Sure he has played well at times for KC, but he also started one of his last 6 games in KC. He for sure has back problems, and I have yet to ever see a OL fully recover from those. KC is wanting to get rid of a top 5 LT so they can draft another one. Has it ever dawned on you that JUST MAYBE they know something we don't??

There are no sure things in the NFL. You are right, we could draft a LT and in 3 years he COULD hold out. But for all we know Albert might have worse back trouble than we think never play another down of football. See I can do that too.

I still say Martin and Winston, with a OT that we pick up with 2B is WAAAAY > than Martin, Albert, a 9 million dollar hit and only one 2rd pick.

For Mr.Ed

Straight from the CBA here is the clause about carrying over room (not having to spend it this year) and the "cap floor".

Which CONFIRMS what I stated that they are OBLIGATED to spend 89%, but it's within that 3 year window. So it must average out AT LEAST 89% for the 3 years of 2013-2016. No?

And just for the misinformed who think the LT position has some how magically dissolve into a position where you can get away with AVG play. LOL. The FACT's don't add it up no matter how much they try to convince us a much. The LT position always has and always will be one of the most important position on your team.

The Last 10 Superbowl Champions, only one the Steelers, didn't have a Pro-Bowl Left tackle, (10% or 90% how ever you choose to look at it). And the one team still had an adequate one in Max Starx.

2013. Baltimore Ravens. Bryant McKinnie (Pro-Bowler)
2012. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
2011. Green Bay Packers Chad Clifton (Pro-Bowler)
2010. New Orleans Saints Jermon Bushrod (Pro-Bowler)
2009. Pittsburgh Steelers Max Starx
2008. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
2007. Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn (Pro-Bowler)
2006. Pittsburgh Steelers Marvel Amos Smith (Pro-Bowler)
2005. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)
2004. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)

Yeah, by all means Ireland, find a way to get us one ASAP, if you don't think Martin will do..

How many of those teams traded second round picks and offered up huge contracts for those tackles? Without looking it up I'm guessing ZERO.

Came off a little stronger than anticipated and was not supposed to be directed at you. Take the full responsibility of that one..

It is directed at the crowd that continues to believe spending a high first round pick/ trading and extending for a LT is the right move when they are capably found by the Superbowl Winning Teams all over the draft.

Your post served as the perfect vehicle to show that, and that was all. Can totally see how it comes off directed at you since it was your post... but its totally in response to a mass of people.

Keep on keeping on, you do a good job even if we disagree a tad.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Just saying, she is reviled by Browns fans, mostly for the way she dealt with Cribbs.

I'm with you I don't want to spend another first round pick on another Linemen, but we do have some flexibility with so many picks.

As it stands right now, this is the order of the Tackles in this draft.

1.Luke Joeckel
2.Eric Fisher
3.Lane Johnson.

If we want any of these three it's going to cost us more than Albert.

4. DJ Flucker
5. Dallas Thomas
6. Aday Aboushi
7. Reid Fragel
8.Menelik Watson
9.Justin Pugh
10.Terron Armstead

I'm sorry but for 2013 I would rather do what I can to get Albert than trusting anyone of these guys with T-hill Blindside. Can one of them pan out, well based on your previous post on which rounds LT's were selected; yes. But boy that's a pretty big risk..

Hmm Let's look at the article again..
1. According to league sources, the Dolphins have had extensive talks with Kansas City about acquiring Branden Albert for a second-round pick...doesn't say which 2nd round pick: Albert for a 2nd, he's a 1st rounder: would we get a LT like him in the 2nd? All of our deals have been for 2 years, and then we're good on the cap again to spend big..so we're not mortgaged...we were gonna pay Long around 6-7mil, so we switch that over to Albert..same differences for a guy who had less QB pressures than Jake..Okay I can accept that.
2. The source said talks have gotten to the point a physical for Albert is expected to occur, which is one of the necessary steps involved in pulling off a trade of this magnitude. Albert must pass the physical, then trade terms must be agreed to, and it is likely that a multi-year deal between Miami and Albert must be worked out.....So we have the physical to answer the concerns of those who brought up back problems,...... THEN trade terms Must be agreed to, so the trade terms aren't etched in stone at this point.....then it's LIKELY a mulit-year deal is given..not etch in stone either.
3. A team source said "the process has just begun," and admitted it is possible the Dolphins could wait until the first or second day of the draft, weighing all the options before finalizing a deal....So all of this could be a flyer to give the phins options based on what happens with our 1st round choice..so this deal may never leave the dock. And we have over 17 pages of messages about an option the phins are giving themselves in case the draft doesn't go the way they want it to go.
4. The Dolphins have two second-round picks and Ireland has openly acknowledged they'd be willing to trade one of them to either move up in the draft or acquire a solid veteran.....Ireland seems to be following his own stated plan..a solid Vet for ONE of the 2nd rounders. Does Albert meet that standard..probably yes.
5.Most draft analysts expect there will be an early run on offensive lineman this year, one that is reminiscent of the 2008 draft, which featured nine offensive tackles being selected in the first round. Therefore, Miami waiting to take one in the second-round could be risky....so Miami is hedging it's risk factor..that's reasonable.
6.Albert signed his franchise tender and is guaranteed $9.8 million this season. Any new deal would include that salary in 2013. This offseason, the top-rated offensive tackles received contracts that paid them an average salary of $7-8.5 million, which is a roll back from the previous $10 million a year range.

However, the Dolphins weren't willing to match the four-year, $34 million contract the Rams signed Jake Long for this offseason.

Counting Albert, the Dolphins do have a few options that might improve the offensive line.

Trading up to select one of the three elite offensive tackles is being considered, so is selecting North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper at No. 12, if he's still available. Cooper, the type of athletic offensive lineman coach Joe Philbin covets, is perceived as one of the top 15 players in this draft class. ....Let's see Kansas Franchised Albert at 9.8 mil, to do the same with Jake would have cost north if 15 mil.. We give an extension based on this year's salary's to top LT of 7-8.5 mil..instead of the 12 mil a year we were paying Jake..Hmmm sounds like saving's to me.

So right now it seem Miami is giving itself options, and we have a problem with that? Why? The only thing that would make this not a good deal is overpaying based on what top LT's are getting this year...we are definitely on the hook for the Franchise tender this year, but that can be work in his contract as 2 mil already paid and he gets the same 2 year deal everyone else has gotten and the books are clean 2 years from now as to not put us in salary cap problems. I don't see the problem with the explore option at this point..a LT we know can play in the NFL vs a maybe...with our QB, I like the KNOWN.

Dude, I don't know what's your problem, I wasn't picking a fight with you. I didn't say we couldn't draft one or anything your first paragraph said. You must be talking to an imaginary person, can you point where I said anything remotely close to what you're suggesting I said??

I simply stated how important the position is. But good luck proving a point that wasn't even in discussion, never said you had to draft one in the first round or any of that yadda yadda you just made up..

The LT position is probably the 2nd or third most important position on your team, ask any HEAD COACH or GM, that's not words from my computer. That's just what all smart orginazation know and believe. And back to my original statement, what I'm saying is so true that the last 9 SB champs all had pro-bowl caliber LEFT TACKLES.. PERIOD...

Bryant Mckinnie was not elite last year. He probably won't even start this year. I mean you are saying super bowl teams need great LTs and you seem to think Albert fits that description, yet last time I checked he certainly didn't lead them to a superbowl last year. Matter of fact the were dead last. What the poster was saying is the teams that win super bowls are not putting 9 mil AND 2nd rd picks to get them. They are being smarter with their money and resources.

Which not only CONFIRMS what I stated that they are OBLIGATED to spend 89%, but it's within that 3 year window. So it must average out AT LEAST 89% for the 3 years of 2013-2016. No?

Not quite.... we don't HAVE to spend anything this year.. next year... or the year after.

All it says is by 2016 we have spent 89%.

Now here's the thing, your Cap Numbers and Cash Spending are two totally different things. I mentioned in a previous post that Cash Spending (what the 89% has to be made up of) is when money changes hands from team to players. So a signing bonus of 10 million that only counts 2 mill per year over a 5 year contract.. is factored in right away in your current years cash spending right away.

Currently we are set to have a cash spending of 135 million right now for 2013.... and thats still with cap room that we can use OR carry over for next year which makes sense since we have HUUUUUGE cap hits coming from our newly acquired players.

So if we stopped making roster moves today, which we wont obviously, still have more signings and rookies... we are well ahead of the necessary "line" to reach the mandated floor.

I've spoken to NFL salary Cap personnel during Super Bowl Week and during interviews.... they all have said the Cap Floor is a NON ISSUE... every team will surpass it in their sleep without even trying to.

So back to our original dispute, we do not have to spend the cash this year, we can roll it over... and then essentially that money just becomes a balloon on to whatever cap space we already have for next year. And we can do it the year after...

we are not in a "we have to spend this money anyway... so what the hell" situation.

hmm let's look at the article again..
1. According to league sources, the dolphins have had extensive talks with kansas city about acquiring branden albert for a second-round pick...doesn't say which 2nd round pick: Albert for a 2nd, he's a 1st rounder: Would we get a lt like him in the 2nd? All of our deals have been for 2 years, and then we're good on the cap again to spend big..so we're not mortgaged...we were gonna pay long around 6-7mil, so we switch that over to albert..same differences for a guy who had less qb pressures than jake..okay i can accept that.
2. The source said talks have gotten to the point a physical for albert is expected to occur, which is one of the necessary steps involved in pulling off a trade of this magnitude. Albert must pass the physical, then trade terms must be agreed to, and it is likely that a multi-year deal between miami and albert must be worked out.....so we have the physical to answer the concerns of those who brought up back problems,...... then trade terms must be agreed to, so the trade terms aren't etched in stone at this point.....then it's likely a mulit-year deal is given..not etch in stone either.
3. A team source said "the process has just begun," and admitted it is possible the dolphins could wait until the first or second day of the draft, weighing all the options before finalizing a deal....so all of this could be a flyer to give the phins options based on what happens with our 1st round choice..so this deal may never leave the dock. And we have over 17 pages of messages about an option the phins are giving themselves in case the draft doesn't go the way they want it to go.
4. The dolphins have two second-round picks and ireland has openly acknowledged they'd be willing to trade one of them to either move up in the draft or acquire a solid veteran.....ireland seems to be following his own stated plan..a solid vet for one of the 2nd rounders. Does albert meet that standard..probably yes.
5.most draft analysts expect there will be an early run on offensive lineman this year, one that is reminiscent of the 2008 draft, which featured nine offensive tackles being selected in the first round. Therefore, miami waiting to take one in the second-round could be risky....so miami is hedging it's risk factor..that's reasonable.
6.albert signed his franchise tender and is guaranteed $9.8 million this season. Any new deal would include that salary in 2013. This offseason, the top-rated offensive tackles received contracts that paid them an average salary of $7-8.5 million, which is a roll back from the previous $10 million a year range.

However, the dolphins weren't willing to match the four-year, $34 million contract the rams signed jake long for this offseason.

Counting albert, the dolphins do have a few options that might improve the offensive line.

Trading up to select one of the three elite offensive tackles is being considered, so is selecting north carolina offensive guard jonathan cooper at no. 12, if he's still available. Cooper, the type of athletic offensive lineman coach joe philbin covets, is perceived as one of the top 15 players in this draft class. ....let's see kansas franchised albert at 9.8 mil, to do the same with jake would have cost north if 15 mil.. We give an extension based on this year's salary's to top lt of 7-8.5 mil..instead of the 12 mil a year we were paying jake..hmmm sounds like saving's to me.

so right now it seem miami is giving itself options, and we have a problem with that? Why? The only thing that would make this not a good deal is overpaying based on what top lt's are getting this year...we are definitely on the hook for the franchise tender this year, but that can be work in his contract as 2 mil already paid and he gets the same 2 year deal everyone else has gotten and the books are clean 2 years from now as to not put us in salary cap problems. I don't see the problem with the explore option at this point..a lt we know can play in the nfl vs a maybe...with our qb, i like the known.

thank you!

I'm with you I don't want to spend another first round pick on another Linemen, but we do have some flexibility with so many picks.

As it stands right now, this is the order of the Tackles in this draft.

1.Luke Joeckel
2.Eric Fisher
3.Lane Johnson.

If we want any of these three it's going to cost us more than Albert.

4. DJ Flucker
5. Dallas Thomas
6. Aday Aboushi
7. Reid Fragel
8.Menelik Watson
9.Justin Pugh
10.Terron Armstead

I'm sorry but for 2013 I would rather do what I can to get Albert than trusting anyone of these guys with T-hill Blindside. Can one of them pan out, well based on your previous post on which rounds LT's were selected; yes. But boy that's a pretty big risk..

This is where I think you and I are on different wave lengths..

Obviously we both want RT's blindside protected. But if they felt comfortable last year with Martin as the RT/backup LT in case long got hurt as a rookie.... what is to stop a similar situation for this year while Ryan already has a year of experience under his belt to help protect himself already.

I am clearly agreeing with you that Albert for one year skill to skill is better than any of the players we could draft this year without using a first round pick or trading up to get, I dont think the dropoff is to the level of "if we spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a tackle instead of trading for and extending Albert that RT is doomed."

To me.... the one year "dropoff" is marginal, RT will be fine.. and if we hit on the pick (which is a whole another discussion)... then you have 4 years of improved LT for cheap before you even have to worry about extending giant dollars.

Hmm Let's look at the article again..
1. According to league sources, the Dolphins have had extensive talks with Kansas City about acquiring Branden Albert for a second-round pick...doesn't say which 2nd round pick: Albert for a 2nd, he's a 1st rounder: would we get a LT like him in the 2nd? All of our deals have been for 2 years, and then we're good on the cap again to spend big..so we're not mortgaged...we were gonna pay Long around 6-7mil, so we switch that over to Albert..same differences for a guy who had less QB pressures than Jake..Okay I can accept that.
2. The source said talks have gotten to the point a physical for Albert is expected to occur, which is one of the necessary steps involved in pulling off a trade of this magnitude. Albert must pass the physical, then trade terms must be agreed to, and it is likely that a multi-year deal between Miami and Albert must be worked out.....So we have the physical to answer the concerns of those who brought up back problems,...... THEN trade terms Must be agreed to, so the trade terms aren't etched in stone at this point.....then it's LIKELY a mulit-year deal is given..not etch in stone either.
3. A team source said "the process has just begun," and admitted it is possible the Dolphins could wait until the first or second day of the draft, weighing all the options before finalizing a deal....So all of this could be a flyer to give the phins options based on what happens with our 1st round choice..so this deal may never leave the dock. And we have over 17 pages of messages about an option the phins are giving themselves in case the draft doesn't go the way they want it to go.
4. The Dolphins have two second-round picks and Ireland has openly acknowledged they'd be willing to trade one of them to either move up in the draft or acquire a solid veteran.....Ireland seems to be following his own stated plan..a solid Vet for ONE of the 2nd rounders. Does Albert meet that standard..probably yes.
5.Most draft analysts expect there will be an early run on offensive lineman this year, one that is reminiscent of the 2008 draft, which featured nine offensive tackles being selected in the first round. Therefore, Miami waiting to take one in the second-round could be risky....so Miami is hedging it's risk factor..that's reasonable.
6.Albert signed his franchise tender and is guaranteed $9.8 million this season. Any new deal would include that salary in 2013. This offseason, the top-rated offensive tackles received contracts that paid them an average salary of $7-8.5 million, which is a roll back from the previous $10 million a year range.

However, the Dolphins weren't willing to match the four-year, $34 million contract the Rams signed Jake Long for this offseason.

Counting Albert, the Dolphins do have a few options that might improve the offensive line.

Trading up to select one of the three elite offensive tackles is being considered, so is selecting North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper at No. 12, if he's still available. Cooper, the type of athletic offensive lineman coach Joe Philbin covets, is perceived as one of the top 15 players in this draft class. ....Let's see Kansas Franchised Albert at 9.8 mil, to do the same with Jake would have cost north if 15 mil.. We give an extension based on this year's salary's to top LT of 7-8.5 mil..instead of the 12 mil a year we were paying Jake..Hmmm sounds like saving's to me.

So right now it seem Miami is giving itself options, and we have a problem with that? Why? The only thing that would make this not a good deal is overpaying based on what top LT's are getting this year...we are definitely on the hook for the Franchise tender this year, but that can be work in his contract as 2 mil already paid and he gets the same 2 year deal everyone else has gotten and the books are clean 2 years from now as to not put us in salary cap problems. I don't see the problem with the explore option at this point..a LT we know can play in the NFL vs a maybe...with our QB, I like the KNOWN.

EXCELLENT comments, however I still hate trading a #2 (maybe a #3 is decent) and paying out a huge contract, oh well :-(

Back
Top Bottom