Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

Fair point. My only point is that all the signings we have made, I think Ellerbe is the oldest at 28. It is a calculated risk. If these players make it thru the next 2 seasons then Miami is in good shape. Of course injuries happen so the risk is there. I thought Miami did a good job of not screwing themselves for the length of a 5 year deal, they made it doable to get out of these deals after 2 years.

well you and i the disagreement on this seems to stem from the time til we can get out and not eat a bunch of money...i see it as 3 years would be the minimum...there aren't many big money 5 year contracts in pro football that you can get out of in 2 years and not eat a bunch of money...and i don't see these deals we made this offseason being any different...i would count on these guys being in the uni hell or high water for the next 3 years...especially considering how little these cap hits are in 2013...

And just for the misinformed who think the LT position has some how magically dissolve into a position where you can get away with AVG play. LOL. The FACT's don't add it up no matter how much they try to convince us a much. The LT position always has and always will be one of the most important position on your team.

The Last 10 Superbowl Champions, only one the Steelers, didn't have a Pro-Bowl Left tackle, (10% or 90% how ever you choose to look at it). And the one team still had an adequate one in Max Starx.

2013. Baltimore Ravens. Bryant McKinnie (Pro-Bowler)
2012. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
2011. Green Bay Packers Chad Clifton (Pro-Bowler)
2010. New Orleans Saints Jermon Bushrod (Pro-Bowler)
2009. Pittsburgh Steelers Max Starx
2008. New York Giants David Diehl (Pro-Bowler)
2007. Indianapolis Colts Tarik Glenn (Pro-Bowler)
2006. Pittsburgh Steelers Marvel Amos Smith (Pro-Bowler)
2005. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)
2004. New England Patriots Matt Light (Pro-Bowler)

Yeah, by all means Ireland, find a way to get us one ASAP, if you don't think Martin will do..

well it's not quite that simple...the rookie pick under this new cba ot would come a lot cheaper over the length of the contract...even in the top 6 picks these guys aren't getting any $8 mil per year under the new cba...so you have a rookie tackle under control for the next 5 years at if they perform well what is a bargain price or you have a better than average but nothing special ot at a lot more money than that you probably lose or tell to take a pay cut after 3 years of the contract extension you sign them to in trade...ie albert...

keeping the top #12 pick is nice no doubt but with the rookie you get at least 2 contracts out of him with the vet we probably cut bait in 3 years or he takes a cut...and you start looking for a new ot for the long term unless you've got one in the wings waiting and developing...

or the other option the complete stop gap veteran off the street with no future cap implications that you must look to replace in no time...but also have no lost draft pick compensation or draft picks used period

You guys kill me with this money crap! NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and can be structured to minimize the risk, but I'll play along! Albert is still under contract correct? So this means he feels that he's out played his contract and wants a new long term deal. If we trade up to sign one of the rookies.. If they are as good as Albert before their contract is up guess what.... They could hold out for a new deal as well. Point is.. We will have to pay either way. Might as well pay for a proven commodity and he's only 28

I don't really like the idea of trading a second round pick and a huge contract. I do understand the thought process that you would be using one pick instead of two picks to get one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

While Albert is a good player and would solidify the left tackle position, a large contract and draft pick compensation is going to be tough to swallow when we could have just upped the offer for Jake Long. Long is also the better player.

It's a solution but I would worry about Miami's run blocking if he surfaces in Miami.

You guys kill me with this money crap! NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and can be structured to minimize the risk, but I'll play along! Albert is still under contract correct? So this means he feels that he's out played his contract and wants a new long term deal. If we trade up to sign one of the rookies.. If they are as good as Albert before their contract is up guess what.... They could hold out for a new deal as well. Point is.. We will have to pay either way. Might as well pay for a proven commodity and he's only 28

you kill me with this crap...guaranteed money in a contract is on your books hell or high water...you can structure the contract however you want...

but thanks for playing along...i've spent enough time on this...

I do not want Albert. I don't think he's that good and doesn't warrant a long term big money contract. Why trade a 2nd round pick for a stopgap? Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

A lot of people on board seem to express the opinion that Albert does not fit ZBS, cost too much money, not worth giving up our valuable draft picks for,etc. The salary and cap hit not withstanding, which nobody seemed too worried about with Wallace signing, Albert is still rated one of the better LTs in the league, I would have to trust that if Philbin and coaches did not feel he fit our scheme they would not be pursuing this, and reality is that we would have to give up our 1.12 pick and at least one,and more than likely 2, of our 2nd and 3rd round picks in order to move up in draft to grab Joekel, Fisher, or Johnson. KC is stuck at top of draft after franchising Albert so offer them our 2b or 3a take it or leave it and am guessing fans, including me, much more excited about coming out of 2nd round of draft with Austin, Eifert or Rhodes at 1.12, next two picks Ertz,Hunter, one of CB's or DE (depending on who we pick in 1st) and Albert new starting LT. One way we get Albert and still have 4 picks in top 3 rounds to add quality and depth and other way we add a younger and granted cheaper LT (but not necessarily better) than Albert but then only have 2 and maybe 3of these picks to fill other holes, lose our first rd pick to draft an OT again and more than likely would not be making our second selection until bottom of 2nd or top of 3rd round. Know which scenario sounds more enticing to me.

I don't really like the idea of trading a second round pick and a huge contract. I do understand the thought process that you would be using one pick instead of two picks to get one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

While Albert is a good player and would solidify the left tackle position, a large contract and draft pick compensation is going to be tough to swallow when we could have just upped the offer for Jake Long. Long is also the better player.

Long may of had the better career, but he has not been better than Albert in the last two years..

2/3 of that scenario maybe. We don't need another wr. I think Albert, Eifert, trufant would be dream.

I don't think we will be able to get both Eifert and Trufant (Both will be taken in the 1st), but if Miami is able to trade back a bit (Cowboy's 18th pick) for another 2nd, maybe they can move back to the 1st, and get both of them. Swoops is a very instictive receiver, runs good routes, has proven to have good chemestry with Tannehill, and in the combines he ran, in the 4.3s. I love having Bess, but his time in Miami is looking more and more grim every day. If Miami got Albert, Eifert, Trufant, Swoops that would be an amazing start to the draft.

swoops

And just for the misinformed who think the LT position has some how magically dissolve into a position where you can get away with AVG play. LOL. The FACT's don't add it up no matter how much they try to convince us a much. The LT position always has and always will be one of the most important position on your team.

The Last 10 Superbowl Champions, only one the Steelers, didn't have a Pro-Bowl Left tackle, (10% or 90% how ever you choose to look at it). And the one team still had an adequate one in Max Starx.

Yeah, by all means Ireland, find a way to get us one ASAP, if you don't think Martin will do..
I agree. Why else do you think there is gonna be 3 LT taken in the top 7 picks this year

Yeah.... there is no way we can find a left tackle in the draft... all superbowl winners obviously picked their pro bowl left tackles high in the first round.... we should most certainly trade a 2nd rounder and give an expensive extension for Branden Albert because there is no way to win a superbowl with a left tackle that we drafted instead............

Bryant Mckinnie -- Drafted by Vikings in 1st Round 7th overall (obviously didnt win a superbowl with vikings.... won it this year with Ravens in his 10th? year)
David Diehl -- Drafted by NYG in 5th Round
Chad Clifton -- Drafted by GB in 2nd Round
Jermon Bushrod --- Drafted by NO in 4th Round
Max Starks -- Drafted by the Pitt in 3rd Round
David Diehl ---- Still was drafted by NYG in 5th Round
Tarik Glenn --- Drafted by Colts in 1st Round (19th overall)
Marvel Amos Smith - Drafted by Steelers in the 2nd Round
Matt Light -- Drafted by the Patriots in the 2nd Round

Looks like the numbers say...... draft one... and dont waste a 1st round pick on him.. cheaper too

Back
Top Bottom