Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

This oringinated as an omar report so it prop ain't true

For those who are so concern about how much we will pay Albert, keep in mind As it currently stands, the Dolphins will have nearly $25.5 million next offseason. Of course, this doesn't account for the rookie contracts from this year, and the team will likely rework or release players scheduled to have high cap numbers next year (Matt Moore, Dimitri Patterson), so the number will change drastically. But, at least as of now, the team still has a decent amount under the salary cap for next year.

Somehow, the Dolphins are working the salary cap well enough to keep space next season, even with the spending spree going on right now.

Furthermore, this is why Ireland and Dawn has sign contracts this year within a three year plan.

“For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million))”

So what is considered cash? Cash is total base salary amounts paid to a player, signing bonus paid, roster bonuses, reporting bonuses, and workout bonuses. Keep in mind that cash dollars are different then cap dollars in a given year. If a team gives a player a $10 million signing bonus on a five-year contract in 2013 they will prorate that amount at $2 million a year for five years as far as the cap is concerned, but they will be credited with spending $10 million in cash in 2013 and 2013 only. That's the difference between cap dollars and cash dollars.
So what about teams that want to try and hoard cap space and cash? Hoard away, but eventually they will need to spend 89% of it in cash.

The union got destroyed in their negotiations and to me this was just another prime example of a terrible deal. According to the CBA the penalty for being under the limit is to simply post pay what you owe sometime before September 15, 2017 for the current period.

So the contracts can now be completely work with the Franchise always at an advantage with the structure and language of contracts.

we only have like 41 players on the roster for 2014.... so 41 players are eating up nearly 100 million in cap space already and it isnt even the 2013 season yet.

cash spending v. cap accounting are two different animals.

the cap floor deals with money in the year that the money changes hands. For example, when you pay a new player a signing bonus of 10 million on a 5 year deal.... the 10 million is factored into the cash spending right away while the cap accounting deals with it by prorating it over 5 years ( at 2 mill per year).

If i have it correctly, we are scheduled to SPEND in cash spending nearly 135 million dollars for 2013 already. regardless of how much CAP ROOM we roll over.... we (and every other team in the NFL) is going to blow by the minimum cash floor over the 4 year period. It is a complete non issue.

"can easily cut him" after next season is completely rediculous...completely...$30 mil guaranteed and you think that's an easy cut in 2 years...way off

Bro, I am not saying easily as in the money....what I am saying is that the cap hit they absorb after next season is low enough that they don't go into "cap hell". They are on the hook for 2 seasons, after that he can be cut with little hit to the cap. It is not "way off" or "ridiculous", it was smart use of the cap space they had without crippling the team long term. Are they on the hook the next 2 seasons? Of course, but after that they are good if they choose to cut ties. THAT is smart business!

Most of that 9 million will go towards paying the rookies. Hope if they do trade for Albert his cap hit for the first couple seasons is under 7 mil.

rookies are expected to take up about 6 million IF they kept all their picks.

albert will be restructuring his contract and getting a long term deal if traded to us so he wont have a 9 mill cap hit

From what I have read Albert wants to be paid like a top 5 LT. So he will want close to 9 mil a year. I am just hoping that the cap hit is less than 7 mil per the first couple years. Albert is ok but his is not a top 5 LT. He is pretty good in pass protection but below average with his run blocking. Plus people are still ignoring that he has had chronic back problems. A 2nd round pick and a high salary is a lot to pay for Albert IMO.

that's true he won't...we'll most likely pay it forward like these other contracts we've done this offseason...and in turn add more risk down the road...

You should really research the contracts before saying this! It is not down the road risk, the risk is the next 2 years. From everything I have read, Miami has done a great job of NOT mortgaging future cap long term with these deals!

From what I have read Albert wants to be paid like a top 5 LT. So he will want close to 9 mil a year. I am just hoping that the cap hit is less than 7 mil per the first couple years. Albert is ok but his is not a top 5 LT. He is pretty good in pass protection but below average with his run blocking. Plus people are still ignoring that he has had chronic back problems. A 2nd round pick and a high salary is a lot to pay for Albert IMO.

We will see what he wants. The good thing is that a contract will have to be worked out before a trade can be done so Miami can have a good opportunity to gauge the contract versus the player. If they don't like it, then they don't make the deal.

It isn't your money.....we have structured contracts well this off season.. also Albert is a proven player.....frees us up to grab a corner or whatever. Draft picks are so freakin overvalued. All 3 of this tackles could bust.....and then what

I'm sure that Dawn Aponte would speak highly of you too.

this wasn't a shot at her just a joke... she has done a tremendous job for us helping us get out of cap hell, and sign the free agents to great deal

Bro, I am not saying easily as in the money....what I am saying is that the cap hit they absorb after next season is low enough that they don't go into "cap hell". They are on the hook for 2 seasons, after that he can be cut with little hit to the cap. It is not "way off" or "ridiculous", it was smart use of the cap space they had without crippling the team long term. Are they on the hook the next 2 seasons? Of course, but after that they are good if they choose to cut ties. THAT is smart business!

we'll disagree on what's smart business when it comes to contracts and the cap...if at all possible i would want to front load contracts to avoid more risk down the road...a $3 mil hit this year is not avoiding anything on a $30 mil guaranteed contract that come hell or high water is on your books...my goal is to eat as little money as possible...i'm a believer in the way to do that is to front load...but if you are playing for your job in 2013 sure why not pay it forward...

the only thing that makes this a little more palatable for me is the fact that mike wallace is only 26...barring injury we should be able to get a good 5 years of high end play out of him...down the road if need be we can restructure...but the one thing also is this guys game cmpletely revolves around his wheels and his rediculous speed and the way he eats up db cushion and blows by...it opens up everything for him...if that goes he's toast...

finally i'm glad we took a risk here don't get me wrong...but let's also not act like if this blows up on us it's no big deal...for our next 3 years it's a big damn deal...same for the ellerbe contract and probably the one i like the least the wheeler deal...and this albert contract would go right in the big deal category given the likely money...

Just like other "leaked" reports about this time, I'm not completely buying this story. We've shown a little interest in the past, but why all the sudden would we start pushing this again right before the draft unless there is a purpose? I definitely don't think we do anything the first night of the draft. Once round one is over and we have the overnight to see where we are, then we evaluate whether we still have a pressing need at LT and if Albert is the answer and what we are willing to give up for him. I still think it's part of some smokescreen so teams don't know what we are doing in round 1 (or with our 2nd round picks), but only time will tell on that.

we'll disagree on what's smart business when it comes to contracts and the cap...if at all possible i would want to front load contracts to avoid more risk down the road...a $3 mil hit this year is not avoiding anything on a $30 mil guaranteed contract that come hell or high water is on your books...my goal is to eat as little money as possible...i'm a believer in the way to do that is to front load...but if you are playing for your job in 2013 sure why not pay it forward...

the only thing that makes this a little more palatable for me is the fact that mike wallace is only 26...barring injury we should be able to get a good 5 years of high end play out of him...down the road if need be we can restructure...but the one thing also is this guys game cmpletely revolves around his wheels and his rediculous speed and the way he eats up db cushion and blows by...it opens up everything for him...if that goes he's toast...

finally i'm glad we took a risk here don't get me wrong...but let's also not act like if this blows up on us it's no big deal...for our next 3 years it's a big damn deal...same for the ellerbe contract and probably the one i like the least the wheeler deal...and this albert contract would go right in the big deal category given the likely money...

Fair point. My only point is that all the signings we have made, I think Ellerbe is the oldest at 28. It is a calculated risk. If these players make it thru the next 2 seasons then Miami is in good shape. Of course injuries happen so the risk is there. I thought Miami did a good job of not screwing themselves for the length of a 5 year deal, they made it doable to get out of these deals after 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom