Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

I said it before when this rumor caught wind a month ago and I'll say it again: mistake.

The metrics I've seen don't make him sound like the dominant player you'd expect to pull a 2nd round pick plus a windfall contract. I still hold out hope that we will end up giving up a 3rd at best in this trade. Who the hell do the chiefs think they are expecting a 2nd? they obviously want to draft an LT. I say make them sweat all the way to draft morning offering a 4th. They're the ones who franchised a guy they don't want.

Do you remember Jason Taylor? Most of his career was in a 4- 3 and Jordan is build vey similar. You should watch tape of Jordan, he will be a dominant player no matter the defense. Situational pass rushers don't get selected at #2.

i have watched tape...plenty of it in fact...and jax runs a 34...where he would be an every down player from the get go if he goes there...

For Mr.Ed

Straight from the CBA here is the clause about carrying over room (not having to spend it this year) and the "cap floor".

(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may "carry over" Room from one
League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the
owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (1 4) days prior to the start of the next League
Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The
NFL shall prompdy provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLP A. The amount of
Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after
the year-end reconciliation

Section 9. Minimum Team Cash Spending:
(a) For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013-2016 and
2017-2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the
Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013-16 and 2017-2020 are
$100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team
Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million))
(b) Any shortfall in the Minimum Team Cash Spending at the end of a
League Year in which it is applicable (i.e., the 2016 and 2020 League Years) shall be paid,
on or before the next September 15, by the Team having such shortfall, directly to the
players who were on such a Team's roster at any time during the applicable seasons,
pursuant to the reasonable allocation instructions of the NFLPA.
(c) Nothing contained herein shall preclude a Team from having Cash
Spending in excess of the Minimum Team Cash Spending, provided that the Team complies
with the accounting rules of the Salary Cap set forth in Article 13 .
(d) If the NFL agrees, or a final judgment or award is entered by the System
Arbitrator, that a Team has failed by the end of an applicable League Year to make the
payments required to satisfy a Team's obligations to pay the Minimum Team Cash
Spending required by this Agreement, then, in the event the Team fails promptly to
comply with such agreement, judgment or award, the NFL shall make such payment on
behalf of that Team (such funds to be paid as salary directly to the players on such Team
at the direction of and pursuant to the reasonable allocations of the NFLPA).

I'd do it for 2b and at 12 take Austin then 2a take best corner (trufaunt?) then 3a the honeybadger and spend rest of picks on de,TE and bpa to ad depth!!!!

Question is who do the Dolphins cut/trade to fit Albert's salary because I believe right now the Dolphins are about 9 million under the cap. Albert is going to want at least 9 million a year.

The Dolphins get another $9 million in relief after June 1 when Burnett and Dansby come off the books. IF they do get Albert, I'm sure his long term deal wouldn't count as high against the cap, at least for the first couple years.

Yes they are on the hook for 14 million for wallace next season but can easily cut him the following season if he sucks. Same with Ellerbe and Hartline. Miami set themselves up nice by being able to void these contracts after next season. Seriously, what is the likelihood that a team would give up on a player after one season? It is really a good contract and these guys are essentially on a two year deal.

"can easily cut him" after next season is completely rediculous...completely...$30 mil guaranteed and you think that's an easy cut in 2 years...way off

Wearing down? He allowed 1 sack last year. With a bad back. Which is getting better.

Bad backs don't get better. He's also only played one complete season and he's mediocre at run blocking. Further, prior to this past season, he allowed 6.5 on average. Some of the differences? He missed three games, including 2 against the Broncos, who lead the league in sacks. But let's say he's as awesome as some are making him out to be. Here the Chiefs are about to pick 1st overall (lot of help having a top LT did them, eh?) and who are they looking at drafting? An LT (some teams simply never get it).

Hey, if we were going to pay him half of what he's asking and it only cost a late round pick, I'd be all for it, because the position is not as insanely vital as some make it seem. But a second and near Wrong money? :lol:

For those who are so concern about how much we will pay Albert, keep in mind As it currently stands, the Dolphins will have nearly $25.5 million next offseason. Of course, this doesn't account for the rookie contracts from this year, and the team will likely rework or release players scheduled to have high cap numbers next year (Matt Moore, Dimitri Patterson), so the number will change drastically. But, at least as of now, the team still has a decent amount under the salary cap for next year.

Somehow, the Dolphins are working the salary cap well enough to keep space next season, even with the spending spree going on right now.

Furthermore, this is why Ireland and Dawn has sign contracts this year within a three year plan.

“For each of the following four-League Year periods, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020, there shall be a guaranteed Minimum Team Cash Spending of 89% of the Salary Caps for such periods (e.g., if the Salary Caps for the 2013–16 and 2017–2020 are $100, 120, 130, and 150 million, respectively, each Club shall have a Minimum Team Cash Spending for that period of $445 million (89% of $500 million))”

So what is considered cash? Cash is total base salary amounts paid to a player, signing bonus paid, roster bonuses, reporting bonuses, and workout bonuses. Keep in mind that cash dollars are different then cap dollars in a given year. If a team gives a player a $10 million signing bonus on a five-year contract in 2013 they will prorate that amount at $2 million a year for five years as far as the cap is concerned, but they will be credited with spending $10 million in cash in 2013 and 2013 only. That's the difference between cap dollars and cash dollars.
So what about teams that want to try and hoard cap space and cash? Hoard away, but eventually they will need to spend 89% of it in cash.

The union got destroyed in their negotiations and to me this was just another prime example of a terrible deal. According to the CBA the penalty for being under the limit is to simply post pay what you owe sometime before September 15, 2017 for the current period.

So the contracts can now be completely work with the Franchise always at an advantage with the structure and language of contracts.

Attachments

• MinimumTeamCashSpending.jpg
    MinimumTeamCashSpending.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
The Dolphins get another $9 million in relief after June 1 when Burnett and Dansby come off the books. IF they do get Albert, I'm sure his long term deal wouldn't count as high against the cap, at least for the first couple years.

Also gotta factor in that the offseason top 51 contracts rule then ends (not sure the date) might be when finals cuts are.., but then your summer accounting of just the top 51 paying contracts being factored into your current cap space... your entire roster gets factored in.

if we trade for albert, we are going to have to extend him to lower his cap hit for this year just to fit him in.... pushing more money into the later years

Sort of goes against what Ireland said the other day, that he wants to draft the expensive positions early. I think its stupid. sign winston move on from tackle there will always vets that will be cut during camp that we can use as bodies

Most of that 9 million will go towards paying the rookies. Hope if they do trade for Albert his cap hit for the first couple seasons is under 7 mil.

Question is who do the Dolphins cut/trade to fit Albert's salary because I believe right now the Dolphins are about 9 million under the cap. Albert is going to want at least 9 million a year.

albert will be restructuring his contract and getting a long term deal if traded to us so he wont have a 9 mill cap hit

albert will be restructuring his contract and getting a long term deal if traded to us so he wont have a 9 mill cap hit

that's true he won't...we'll most likely pay it forward like these other contracts we've done this offseason...and in turn add more risk down the road...

Back
Top Bottom