Don Banks: Ross meeting with Sparano RIGHT NOW/Likely to remain head coach | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Banks: Ross meeting with Sparano RIGHT NOW/Likely to remain head coach

where were all of you guys who are against Sporano when we won the division after going 1-15?

I was for Sparano until it dawned on me that his shortcomings were more endemic than the normal learning curve for new coaches and that his philosophies and misplaced "loyalty" would be the team's downfall. Maybe that season's so hard to remember because of the traumatic way it ended - or how it set the stage for our next 14-19 run, eh?

That's fine but if it was all Henning's fault, don't you think that Sparano could see that too. Why didn't he replace him in the season or hell override his play calling and call some of the offense yourself. A coach, a leader has to adapt not only in the games themselves but during a season as well. He stood by Henning and Henne all season long ( with the one exception of a short benching on henne).

True.

Sparano doesn't lead, he pumps guys up with locker room speeches. There were problems on this team this season and he chose to fiddle while Rome burned. I cut him slack in 2009 because it was the most adversity he had faced as a HC to that point--but the truth is he was still making rookie HC mistakes. Now in 2010 the wheels come off the offense and our HC who used to be a OC *allows* this to continue. It is his mandate as a HC to win games. If you see something impeding that, correct it. If you have to keep Henning's offense because you know you can't install a whole new offense in late October, that's understandable. But when he dials up nonsense you have to call him on it. Hold him to the same account you would players. He refused.

There is one.

Ross is incapable of finding a better coach to release him with. Just because a few names are floating around out there does not mean they are making realistic demands to come here. I think this might be a situation where we all need to pinch our noses and deal with him staying another year.

I think I'ld rather Ross take his time and shop for a good HC/GM team then hire a big named control freak who wants to do more then he is capable of doing.

I think this is it.
Ross isn't an idiot and he has the ear of several experienced minds. It would be idiotic for him to can Sparano and watch the other candidates say no thanks. Cowher wants a franchise QB in place. Gruden has said nothing about coming here. We are part of a three horse race for Harbaugh with no guarrantees that he will land here. No other major candidates out there right now. The CBA uncertainty may be adding to the reluctance of many high profile coaches.

Before Ross meets with Sparano then he has to have the next option in place ready to go. If not then we are stuck interviewing 2nd tier candidates.

None of us can give him **** over the money. It isn't our 20 million, but in a recession with a terrible housing market that might mean something to Ross.

That's fine but if it was all Henning's fault, don't you think that Sparano could see that too. Why didn't he replace him in the season or hell override his play calling and call some of the offense yourself. A coach, a leader has to adapt not only in the games themselves but during a season as well. He stood by Henning and Henne all season long ( with the one exception of a short benching on henne).

I already answered the coordinator part. You don't fire a coordinator midseason, it is counterproductive.

As far as assuming playcalling duties, maybe he didn't think that it would really help, or by taking the play calling duties it would take away from his strengths in other areas.

according to Steve Wyche on NFL Network Sparano is likely OUT.

1. No he doesn't. See the last game of the season.

2. Because of Nolan. Nothing to do with Sparano he lets the coordinators do all the work. He's useless.

3. He may have fired Pasq. (he hated to), but he kept Henning here regardless of the offensive struggles.

I think Dansby is making Nolan look good right now. I do think Nolan is a good DC but our defense still needs lots of work.

I already answered the coordinator part. You don't fire a coordinator midseason, it is counterproductive.

As far as assuming playcalling duties, maybe he didn't think that it would really help, or by taking the play calling duties it would take away from his strengths in other areas.

How could it not help if Henning was that bad, call some of your own plays. What strengths in other areas? Nolan was doing a fine job running the defense ( most of the season), Hennings offensive plays were bad or didn't fit our personnel and he did fire the special teams coach because he was so bad. I understand you might have to run with Henning til the end as a titular OC but I would have replaced his play calling. You cannot just do nothing with the offense falling apart all around you.

Edit- My point being the head coach is the "boss" on the field, he oversees the company and needs to make it run smoothly given the quality of the employees you have. In the end the credit and the blame often are placed solely on the bosses shoulders.

Last night I wanted everybody fired but today I'm a little more unsure. What I think is making Ross keeping Sparano and Ireland is the fact that he's still paying Parcells a lot of dough in 2011 for doing nothing. If he fires everybody and bring someone like Cowher, it will cost the team milions and millions just for fired/inactive peoples (Sparano, Parcells, Ireland and all the probably-fired-assistants).

At least now Henning is gone and I really think the team can be very good in 2011. With a new offense, the same defense, a good draft and some big FA signings, this team can compete. I'd rather spend money in 2011 on big free agents than on coaches. Imagine an Oline with Mankins and an healthy Garner as guards, Incognito at center and both our tackles back. Jerry, Berger and others would back them up. That would be a fantastic Oline.

In the 1st round, I would draft an ILB to play with Dansby or trade down to pick Locker at the end of the 1st to compete with Henne. The rest of the defense is all-set if we resign Soliai (this is a must). The receivers are set but we could draft or sign a TE to play with Fasano (the 3 we already have are all scrubs).

QB is obviously a big question mark, I was a big Henne believer but his 2nd half of the season was horrific. There will be someone else to at least compete with him. I fear that Luck, Mallet and Newton will all be gone at 15 (that's why I said ILB) but if 1 is there we have to draft him. Locker will be there but he's a huge question mark and probably not better than Henne so a veteran can be brought in. Orton is the better option, the problem is that we don't have a 2nd rounder to either move up in the draft or to trade for a guy like Orton, forget about Kolb obviously (he'll cost at least a 1st).

Well if sparano is retained it's an absolute joke considering how the team played yesterday. Can't wait for 7-9 again next year

Last night I wanted everybody fired but today I'm a little more unsure. What I think is making Ross keeping Sparano and Ireland is the fact that he's still paying Parcells a lot of dough in 2011 for doing nothing. If he fires everybody and bring someone like Cowher, it will cost the team milions and millions just for fired/inactive peoples (Sparano, Parcells, Ireland and all the probably-fired-assistants).

At least now Henning is gone and I really think the team can be very good in 2011. With a new offense, the same defense, a good draft and some big FA signings, this team can compete. I'd rather spend money in 2011 on big free agents than on coaches. Imagine an Oline with Mankins and an healthy Garner as guards, Incognito at center and both our tackles back. Jerry, Berger and others would back them up. That would be a fantastic Oline.

In the 1st round, I would draft an ILB to play with Dansby or trade down to pick Locker at the end of the 1st to compete with Henne. The rest of the defense is all-set if we resign Soliai (this is a must). The receivers are set but we could draft or sign a TE to play with Fasano (the 3 we already have are all scrubs).

QB is obviously a big question mark, I was a big Henne believer but his 2nd half of the season was horrific. There will be someone else to at least compete with him. I fear that Luck, Mallet and Newton will all be gone at 15 (that's why I said ILB) but if 1 is there we have to draft him. Locker will be there but he's a huge question mark and probably not better than Henne so a veteran can be brought in. Orton is the better option, the problem is that we don't have a 2nd rounder to either move up in the draft or to trade for a guy like Orton, forget about Kolb obviously (he'll cost at least a 1st).

If Ireland is still there then we are trading down to get a 2nd back - no doubt about that. It worked well is his mind last year and I'm sure he will do it again per BP's philosophy. Why would Kolb cost a 1st? He sucked this year - he just threw 3 int's and didn't even play the whole game! No way should anyone give up a 1st for him - i don't see it. I do think Philly gives Vick a big extension and trades Kolb though. Which IMO is a BIG mistake - Vick is the most overrated player i have ever seen. Just keep him in the pocket and he is terrible!

I agree they need to resign Solai BUT he got abused by the Pats. He is not a premier NT at this point so it depends on what he wants to get paid. Even so we still need to get another NT in the draft or FA. We also need a playmaker in the secondary - someone that actually anticipates the ball and can catch it!!

How could it not help if Henning was that bad, call some of your own plays. What strengths in other areas? Nolan was doing a fine job running the defense ( most of the season), Hennings offensive plays were bad or didn't fit our personnel and he did fire the special teams coach because he was so bad. I understand you might have to run with Henning til the end as a titular OC but I would have replaced his play calling. You cannot just do nothing with the offense falling apart all around you.

Edit- My point being the head coach is the "boss" on the field, he oversees the company and needs to make it run smoothly given the quality of the employees you have. In the end the credit and the blame often are placed solely on the bosses shoulders.

To Tony's credit, he did make reasonable decisions. Knowing he couldn't fire his OC going into December with playoff aspirations, and knowing that he can't change the mindset of a 67 year old OC who has been running the same offense for past 40 years, here's a reminder of what happened:

1) He tried putting Pennington into Henning's offense. If he hadn't got injured we would have won more games and we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

2) Henning liked Thigpen way too much and didn't run the ball at all against the bears, causing us to lose

3) Henne executed a beautiful, nearly perfect game in Oakland. This misleads everyone into thinking execution has been the problem.

4) Henne played like absolute garbage from that point on (mainly in terms of turning the ball over, which he thinks all of a sudden "isn't life or death"), the offensive line went to hell, and we faced some pretty good pass defenses (Browns, Jets, Bills).

At this point the only thing I can really fault Tony on is that his OL fell apart and that is entirely on him. Other than that the worse thing I can say about him is that he's not a mastermind who's going to pull through against all odds in these circumstances, and he mis-manages game time now and then.

Just personally/subjectively, Sparano isn't my kind of coach in the first place. He's a parcellian, leaning on the defense and the run and playing not to lose. I've always wanted a west coast gunslinger coach in Miami, especially with how pass-friendly the league has become, but to be objective, historically both philosophies have been and probably can still be successful.

But honestly I don't think its the end of the world if he stays. I don't think he's holding us back from being a superbowl contender. We just need a mastermind OC and some weapons.

I think Dansby is making Nolan look good right now. I do think Nolan is a good DC but our defense still needs lots of work.

It's our ILB's IMO. Crowder and Dobbins can't cover...they have a real coach who saw that...and they took every advantage of it. The TE's killed us...

Back
Top Bottom