Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote) | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Coverage Market Research (please vote)

Which services would you sign up for? (You can vote for multiple options)

• Weekly/Twice-Weekly Email Newsletter: $5 per month (Feb, Mar, Apr)

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • Unprecedented Fan Access Through Q&A: $5 (for all three months)

Votes: 57 12.1%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (Subscribers Only): $20 (plus S/H)

Votes: 64 13.5%
  • Full Color Printed and Bound Draft Guide (non-Subscribers): $30 (plus S/H)

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Draft Weekend Chat Admission: $5 (Saturday & Sunday)

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Are you guys nuts? Why would I want to pay you guys for Draft information?

Votes: 318 67.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rasta1966 said:
I would be interested in for sure 1 and 3, have you thought however of offering all products for one discounted price paid in January. Not that the prices you listed are not very good but you know everyone looks for a deal. The cheap *** bast**ds that we are lol

That's definitely an option. If you added up all of the prices, $15+5+20+5=$45, perhaps we could package up a "Gold Membership" (hah, how cheesy) where you get the whole shebang for $35 in January.

That's a great idea. Thanks for the input.

ryoung8918 said:
First, Boom, CK, KB, I have great respect for your obvious knowledge of football, draft and the Dolphins. If I paid for any football news, you'd have a service I'd consider. I just don't like the trend of paying for news and analysis. I pretty much spend no time on ESPN.com anymore because there is almost no information available to non-"insiders". (their pay service) I can see where you'd have a nice service for Dolphin fans.

I would have liked a poll choice like, "While I respect your knowledge and right to profit from it, I am not interested in paying for such a service." Good luck in your endeavors and stop by the "zoo" from time to time.:)

I completely understand my man and I've been in your shoes...frustrating especially on ESPN as you've pointed out. Everything has gone pay membership. I feel a little better about doing this for draft stuff though because people have always paid for detailed, thoughtful draft analysis. The whole industry has been a pay industry since I can remember.

Every vote counts! My fifth option was just a joke, I understand that people voting for it really just mean they can't afford or are not given to paying money for football analysis! I would much rather have you tell the truth and vote No, giving us a good idea of what percentage of Dolfans are not willing to pay us for draft coverage, than have you vote Yes just to make us feel better then find out that hardly anyone is willing to put their money where their votes were.

ckparrothead said:
Thank you for your input!

I think that would actually have to be a product we consider offering, now that you've brought it up. Or maybe it would be something that we odd on to one of the existing products or services, in order to sweeten the deal and entice more people to buy from us.

Inevitably with printing costs as they are, a lot of stuff that we know about players is going to be condensed a bit in the draft guide itself because we need to fit commentary in there for about 200 players or something like that. No doubt when the Dolphins pick their guys, Dolphin fans will want something a little more in-depth.

So, we could do something like, if you pay for all 3 months of the email newsletter, you get a special post-draft newsletter with detailed information on all of the Dolphins' draft picks.

A printed thing might not be a great option, just because of printing and binding costs. The Draft Guide is feasible because we can offer it for about $20 or $30 (remember, the original idea was the Draft Guide would cost $20 to people who are already subscribers to the email, $30 to those that do not subscribe). But doing a whole separate print job for the Miami Draft Evaluation might not be so feasible just because we'd want to sell that for only about $5 or $10...and it might cost that much just to print it.

let me know what direction you and boomer head with this please. I'd like to keep informed.

sportzz13 said:
what do you guys think about Brandon Marshall from UCF?

He's a biiiiig guy but a very fluid athlete for such a big guy. He stands at probably around 6'5" 230 pounds on most days...but his body is built very much like Mike Williams, who was drafted top 10 overall. When I say that I mean he's got a long, lean wide receiver's body...not a bulky tight end's body. Marques Colston looks on the bulkier side and he's the same size as Marshall.

What is great about Marshall is that he's got very quick fluid hips for his size. He is innately strong, and if smaller corners try to bump him at the line they had better be prepared because at times he can quite legally just toss them to the ground because he's so big and strong.

Everyone likes to talk about speed but this guy can shift 1st through 4th gear the same as most of the guys who are smaller and are supposed to be much faster. In fact, some might say his 2nd gear is near the top echelon of receivers. The problem is when he needs to shift into 5th gear, he just doesn't have it. Some have claimed he ran a 40 in the 4.4's and I am not sure I believe that. He ran about a 4.50 from accounts I've read, maybe a little bit slower. The thing to note is that although his top gear just isn't there compared with say, the top gear of a Chad Jackson, his first couple of gears are there, evidenced by his solid 10 and 20 yard splits.

In the tapes you'll notice that the deeper the route, the more time the corner has to catch up to Marshall. But that often won't matter because if it's a high ball Marshall's going to pluck it out of the sky and there's usually not much a corner can do about it. Also, as a junior the golden knights suffered so many injuries in the secondary that he became their starting safety, and led the team in tackles. His experience in the secondary seems to have helped him understand some concepts on offense better on how to hurt a defense. As a result he does seem to have a good feel for finding the holes between zones.

It's tough to say where he should go. He's fast for his incredible size but he's not lets say, Matt Jones freak of nature fast. He's great going up on jump balls and I doubt many corners would want to bump him at the line. If you believe TerryTate, he overheard a Patriots scout at Marshall's pro day workout mention the possibility that they take Marshall in Round 1 even. I'm not sure how much I believe that, whether the scout was purposely saying that aloud to have people overhear it, or whether he was referring to Richard Marshall of Fresno State. Either way I have Marshall among my top 10 WRs in the draft and I think he's a solid round 3 pick.

big0mar said:
how do you guys get a hold of all the video you guys watch???

Sometimes we get video from people we know. I believe Boomer has most of his video sent to him. Mostly Keith and I just get video from network television, but with the help of TIVO/DVR stuff, we can actually watch a whole lot of games.

ckparrothead said:
He's a biiiiig guy but a very fluid athlete for such a big guy. He stands at probably around 6'5" 230 pounds on most days...but his body is built very much like Mike Williams, who was drafted top 10 overall. When I say that I mean he's got a long, lean wide receiver's body...not a bulky tight end's body. Marques Colston looks on the bulkier side and he's the same size as Marshall.

What is great about Marshall is that he's got very quick fluid hips for his size. He is innately strong, and if smaller corners try to bump him at the line they had better be prepared because at times he can quite legally just toss them to the ground because he's so big and strong.

Everyone likes to talk about speed but this guy can shift 1st through 4th gear the same as most of the guys who are smaller and are supposed to be much faster. In fact, some might say his 2nd gear is near the top echelon of receivers. The problem is when he needs to shift into 5th gear, he just doesn't have it. Some have claimed he ran a 40 in the 4.4's and I am not sure I believe that. He ran about a 4.50 from accounts I've read, maybe a little bit slower. The thing to note is that although his top gear just isn't there compared with say, the top gear of a Chad Jackson, his first couple of gears are there, evidenced by his solid 10 and 20 yard splits.

In the tapes you'll notice that the deeper the route, the more time the corner has to catch up to Marshall. But that often won't matter because if it's a high ball Marshall's going to pluck it out of the sky and there's usually not much a corner can do about it. Also, as a junior the golden knights suffered so many injuries in the secondary that he became their starting safety, and led the team in tackles. His experience in the secondary seems to have helped him understand some concepts on offense better on how to hurt a defense. As a result he does seem to have a good feel for finding the holes between zones.

It's tough to say where he should go. He's fast for his incredible size but he's not lets say, Matt Jones freak of nature fast. He's great going up on jump balls and I doubt many corners would want to bump him at the line. If you believe TerryTate, he overheard a Patriots scout at Marshall's pro day workout mention the possibility that they take Marshall in Round 1 even. I'm not sure how much I believe that, whether the scout was purposely saying that aloud to have people overhear it, or whether he was referring to Richard Marshall of Fresno State. Either way I have Marshall among my top 10 WRs in the draft and I think he's a solid round 3 pick.

Thanks for the info. You are the man!! I would love to pick him up in the third or fourth round if we dont pick WR in the 1st round. I go to UCF and I loved watching him play in the gold and black. It would be awsome if i could see him play in the aqua and orange. :evil:

themole said:
CK, what's your take on Darcy Johnson? Think he will make a team?

Whoa, I haven't even heard of the guy...and that's saying a bunch. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but if I haven't even heard of him...chances are he's just cannon fodder.

ckparrothead said:
Whoa, I haven't even heard of the guy...and that's saying a bunch. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but if I haven't even heard of him...chances are he's just cannon fodder.

T.E. UCF CK.

where do you guys get your info regarding combine results/pro-day workouts?

where do you rank leonard pope among this year's TE class?

P.S. Darcy Johnson is nowhere near an NFL caliber player

big0mar said:

#2 TE in the draft probably. At least, that's where I've got him right now. The Bears could take him. The Broncos could as well. This year has a good crop of TEs. Klopfenstein, Fasano, Byrd, Lewis, and Pope...any (but not all) of those guys could end up at the bottom of the first round. There is a lot of disagreement among teams over which guy is the 2nd best TE in the draft. Some feel Klop, some Byrd, some Pope, some Lewis. Not sure if anyone considers Fasano the 2nd best but I think some consider him 3rd best.

big0mar said:

Thanks bigOmar. Last I saw him play was HS.

big0mar said:
where do you guys get your info regarding combine results/pro-day workouts?

NFL.com, TFY, etc.

I always read the papers in as many NFL and major college cities as possible because that gives you great insight as well.

Back
Top Bottom