Draft Order as of November 17 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Order as of November 17

First of all, I'm a Dolphins fan. Sure, we got McDuffie, who was good, and Parker, who's pretty good now. However, we also got Hill, Green and Ginn. Come to think of it, maybe if we just avoided UM receivers, we'd be okay.

Secondly, I'm just not a fan of taking a WR very high in the draft. I feel it's easier to find good receivers on day two than it is to find impact players on D and O Linemen.

Third, I'd much rather have a dominant O Line and Defense than a mediocre O Line and D, while having a great receiving corps.

Fourth, WRs have so many more head cases and divas than the other positions, as far as I can tell. Give me the solid or really good receivers without those issues.

First of all, I'm a Dolphins fan. Sure, we got McDuffie, who was good, and Parker, who's pretty good now. However, we also got Hill, Green and Ginn. Come to think of it, maybe if we just avoided UM receivers, we'd be okay.

Secondly, I'm just not a fan of taking a WR very high in the draft. I feel it's easier to find good receivers on day two than it is to find impact players on D and O Linemen.

Third, I'd much rather have a dominant O Line and Defense than a mediocre O Line and D, while having a great receiving corps.

Fourth, WRs have so many more head cases and divas than the other positions, as far as I can tell. Give me the solid or really good receivers without those issues.
I appreciate the explanation. Maybe Slimm can speak on this, but (to your 4th point) Smith appears to be a high-character guy. I know less about Waddle, but I get a similar impression. I really get the sense, though, that Smith is obsessed with learning all the intricacies of the receiver position - both because of how technically good he is and because of what I've heard Saban and other players have said about him.

OL is a position where good enough is good enough. You'd like an elite OL, but it's better to have a good OL and elite WR's than vice versa - same way you'd rather have an elite secondary than an elite DL.

Miami's biggest weakness = its WR's inability to separate. Tua is throwing into tight coverage way more than you'd like, and it's not because he's missing open guys.

I just don't see what you'd spend the pick on otherwise. Defense is far less consistent than Offense, and Miami has already invested more in D than O.

I appreciate the explanation. Maybe Slimm can speak on this, but (to your 4th point) Smith appears to be a high-character guy. I know less about Waddle, but I get a similar impression. I really get the sense, though, that Smith is obsessed with learning all the intricacies of the receiver position - both because of how technically good he is and because of what I've heard Saban and other players have said about him.

OL is a position where good enough is good enough. You'd like an elite OL, but it's better to have a good OL and elite WR's than vice versa - same way you'd rather have an elite secondary than an elite DL.

Miami's biggest weakness = its WR's inability to separate. Tua is throwing into tight coverage way more than you'd like, and it's not because he's missing open guys.

I just don't see what you'd spend the pick on otherwise. Defense is far less consistent than Offense, and Miami has already invested more in D than O.
Well, everyone has been claiming that Tua throws receivers open. Other than a few passes, I haven't seen it yet. If that's one of his strengths, hopefully they'll get their timing down, and he'll start doing that soon. Then taking two WRs in the first round won't seem so enticing to finheaven members.

As great as Marino was with Duper + Clayton it's impossible to imagine what he could have done
with Jerry Rice and Irving Fryer (in their young days). Serious offensive *flash* and scoreboards
blowing fuses! There's a difference between those kind of WRs and guys that are just really good
but not legit dominators. I guess that's kind of my concern with the group of R1 certified WRs in '21.

Marino also had the constant drag of a **** run game and 2nd rate (or worse) D. Most folks that
followed his career realize he got "cheated" by the those factors far more than lacking WRs like Rice
Fryer.

So, IMO, conventional wisdom says you target the ideal "balance." In NO WAY can I justify 2 R1 WRs
under that premise. Build the D over the top and give the kid (Tua) a powerful run game -- and add WRs
that compliment the process. With all the draft ammo we have we might be able to solve that riddle.

That's what I hope.

Well, everyone has been claiming that Tua throws receivers open. Other than a few passes, I haven't seen it yet. If that's one of his strengths, hopefully they'll get their timing down, and he'll start doing that soon. Then taking two WRs in the first round won't seem so enticing to finheaven members.

Typically when someone uses that term, they're referring to a QB throwing to the proper leverage of a covered receiver. Tua has been really good at that so far. Still, passes to covered receivers are lower percentage and more likely to result in interceptions. You're also more likely to be tackled as you're catching it, limiting yards after the catch.

Tua and the Alabama WR's were such a fit, because he could put it right on them at exactly the right time, and since they all create separation, they scored a lot of long TD's. If a receiver has a step (and enough speed), and he doesn't have to break his stride, he's not going to lose that step.

WR is a premium position, and 2021 is an outstanding class. Miami's biggest need is also at WR.

Typically when someone uses that term, they're referring to a QB throwing to the proper leverage of a covered receiver. Tua has been really good at that so far. Still, passes to covered receivers are lower percentage and more likely to result in interceptions. You're also more likely to be tackled as you're catching it, limiting yards after the catch.

Tua and the Alabama WR's were such a fit, because he could put it right on them at exactly the right time, and since they all create separation, they scored a lot of long TD's. If a receiver has a step (and enough speed), and he doesn't have to break his stride, he's not going to lose that step.

WR is a premium position, and 2021 is an outstanding class. Miami's biggest need is also at WR.
Yeah, but if you look at the sum of Tua's throws without the Tua colored glasses, you may come to admit that they haven't been as spectacular as some claim. Many are behind the receivers. Some are too high. Some are too low. I mean, they're not dissimilar to Fitz's throws. He does have a quick release. I do wish he'd stop jumping on so many throws. We'll see. I'm sure many here will disagree with what I'm saying.

Yeah, but if you look at the sum of Tua's throws without the Tua colored glasses, you may come to admit that they haven't been as spectacular as some claim. Many are behind the receivers. Some are too high. Some are too low. I mean, they're not dissimilar to Fitz's throws. He does have a quick release. I do wish he'd stop jumping on so many throws. We'll see. I'm sure many here will disagree with what I'm saying.
Yeah, agree to disagree. Either way, you don't want your QB throwing to covered receivers, and it's a passing league.

No, you are dead on. He hasn't been as accurate as described. His anticipation and release have been exceptional though, so I'm pleased so far.

i honestly wouldnt hate Smith 1A Waddle 1B Zaven Collins 2 A Javonte Williams 2B

I'd love that but not sure Waddle falls down that far. Given Waddle has unique traits in this draft which GMs love (and sometimes overdraft), I think you'd have to take him first and hope Smith is still on the board for 1b.

I'd love that but not sure Waddle falls down that far. Given Waddle has unique traits in this draft which GMs love (and sometimes overdraft), I think you'd have to take him first and hope Smith is still on the board for 1b.
Unique traits. Just say speed, Davis.

Pretty good discussion.

This team has done a great job going from terrible to decent in an offseason.
Credit across the board.
IMO - to get to next level- SB contender- need 3-4 special players via Draft:

1. WR1- commands double team- think Adams, Thomas, Julio, Allen.

2. DL - dominant inside presence-

3. RB1 - Dynamic, get us little more

I think the dominant WR and DL player must be a premium pick. Top 15.
The RB can be Rd2

We also could use help at the LB position and Center position - again depending on availability.

Back
Top Bottom