Draft Season 🐬🐬🏈🏈 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Season 🐬🐬🏈🏈

I’m working under the assumption that Armstead is coming back and because of that along with being down a third and fourth, I’m passing on OTs this year and looking at interior OL. Along with our many other needs.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, Graham Barton are who I’m eyeing in the first. In my perfect scenario we land both which would require moving down from 21 and then just getting lucky with a combination of trades. Unlikely, I know. Barton is a great fit as a LG and backup LT.

I think the Lions are strong contenders for a trade down partner. They have two third rounders, including pick 73 (and 92) from their trade with Minnesota for Hockenson.

I want pick 73, so swapping 21 for 29 is something I’m floating out Brad Holmes. They need a talented CB desperately and 21 gives them a better shot at getting one and us a third rookie contributor…. LB, TE, DT, that we don’t land in round two.

Hey guys!

With the Combine just a couple weeks, and the draft just a couple months, away, it's a great time to check out the Draft Forum. Lots of threads, viewing the draft from different angles, and you'll find some really well-reasoned takes on players and overall draft strategy from a variety of posters 🌴 I encourage you to check them out 🥂

As many of you know, Slimm retired from FH. Love Slimm, and I miss his rankings and takes, but @fishfanmiami and the staff (or maybe just him - idk tbh 😅) asked me to that take over for him.

So, I have rankings posted for every positional group - except P, K, and FB. My rankings are different from Slimm's in one key way: they're based on the Miami Dolphins. Most rankings you see will be general and not team-specific, which is understandable given that they're for an audience of fans of 32 different teams. But, it's not the way it works in real life. Brett Veech doesn't care if Trent McDuffie would be good on the Arizona Cardinals or if Creed Humphey would be good on the Tennessee Titans, etc.. With this being a Dolphins forum, I hope you guys will enjoy rankings based on who fits best within Miami's offensive and defensive systems.

I try to understand these players from as many angles as I can. I watch film to see what these guys do well and whether what they do well translates to the NFL; I use production metrics to measure the frequency with which they're successful and to cross-check what I'm seeing (maybe a guy made a spectacular contested catch in one of the games I watched, but it turns out he catches very few of his contested targets); and, I use athletic testing and measurements to cross-check what I'm seeing.

If you have any further questions about the process, please ask 🥂🥂 but, again, come check out the draft forum. There's lots of good discussion, as this is the time of year to dream of what could for our beloved Miami Dolphins 🐬

Nice one! I’ll check it out…

Hey guys!

With the Combine just a couple weeks, and the draft just a couple months, away, it's a great time to check out the Draft Forum. Lots of threads, viewing the draft from different angles, and you'll find some really well-reasoned takes on players and overall draft strategy from a variety of posters 🌴 I encourage you to check them out 🥂

As many of you know, Slimm retired from FH. Love Slimm, and I miss his rankings and takes, but @fishfanmiami and the staff (or maybe just him - idk tbh 😅) asked me to that take over for him.

So, I have rankings posted for every positional group - except P, K, and FB. My rankings are different from Slimm's in one key way: they're based on the Miami Dolphins. Most rankings you see will be general and not team-specific, which is understandable given that they're for an audience of fans of 32 different teams. But, it's not the way it works in real life. Brett Veech doesn't care if Trent McDuffie would be good on the Arizona Cardinals or if Creed Humphey would be good on the Tennessee Titans, etc.. With this being a Dolphins forum, I hope you guys will enjoy rankings based on who fits best within Miami's offensive and defensive systems.

I try to understand these players from as many angles as I can. I watch film to see what these guys do well and whether what they do well translates to the NFL; I use production metrics to measure the frequency with which they're successful and to cross-check what I'm seeing (maybe a guy made a spectacular contested catch in one of the games I watched, but it turns out he catches very few of his contested targets); and, I use athletic testing and measurements to cross-check what I'm seeing.

If you have any further questions about the process, please ask 🥂🥂 but, again, come check out the draft forum. There's lots of good discussion, as this is the time of year to dream of what could for our beloved Miami Dolphins 🐬

Always my go to draft analysis guy! Excellent work you do and much appreciated.

I do have a question but first let me say I love JPJ and would love to have him on our team. Now, lets just say that Wilkins,AVG and Davis all leave as free agents......also keep in mind that Ogbah's as good as gone. Chubb and Phillips probably won’t be ready for week one(Chubb could miss a couple of months. Now lets say we bring back Hunt and Conner Williams.......when you consider all of that, would you still go IOL with your top pick? and if the answer is yes, do you play him at guard so keep Williams at center which is his best position ?

Good question, Danny. I'm going to zoom out a bit to answer it, but before I do, I should say that I expect Wilkins to be back, and AVG coming back wouldn't surprise me either. Davis I don't really care about tbh.

I'll always prioritize building a strong core of offensive players, so as long as there are significant/progress-impeding holes on offense, I'll take the same-or-better offensive player.

In the above, Miami still has a hole at LG. Currently, I view Powers-Johnson as a better prospect than any of the DT's and probably better than any of the Edge players who will be available. Dallas Turner is the only Edge I'd rank a tier higher. So, I'd feel good about solidifying the interior of the OL, JPJ could potentially win the Center job and kick Williams to LG, and either way, you'd feel good about your Center depth, which has been a big problem for Miami at times, particularly against good teams. But, I would feel good about playing him at LG, C, or RG.

If it's Mims vs Powers-Johnson, that's tougher, but I think Miami has to add some real talent to the OL so that they can build a more versatile offense, and this is a very strong group of Offensive Linemen, so it'd be wise for Miami to capitalize. Edge and DT are OK this year, but 2025 looks better, particularly at Edge.

Add some stopgaps in FA, play smart, scrappy D, and see if the offense can find some answers with a better OL - and hopefully a better TE and a more physical 3rd option at WR.

I do have a question but first let me say I love JPJ and would love to have him on our team. Now, lets just say that Wilkins,AVG and Davis all leave as free agents......also keep in mind that Ogbah's as good as gone. Chubb and Phillips probably won’t be ready for week one(Chubb could miss a couple of months. Now lets say we bring back Hunt and Conner Williams.......when you consider all of that, would you still go IOL with your top pick? and if the answer is yes, do you play him at guard so keep Williams at center which is his best position ?
In your scenario here Danny they very well could go with a big defensive tackle early if we do end up losing our guys. I'm still worried about the interior O-line though, Williams being able to start the year and effectively coming off the ACL is no given.

I also don't see how we don't take an offensive tackle with one of our early picks. That's the deepest position in the draft and even with Armstead back we need that LT prospect to fill in for his injured time this year and be ready to take over next year. Don't think we can ignore OT no matter what holes we have on defense. But in this scenario could easily come out of first two rounds with an offensive and defensive tackle. Hopefully we can trade down and add at lease one more premium pick.

In your scenario here Danny they very well could go with a big defensive tackle early if we do end up losing our guys. I'm still worried about the interior O-line though, Williams being able to start the year and effectively coming off the ACL is no given.

I also don't see how we don't take an offensive tackle with one of our early picks. That's the deepest position in the draft and even with Armstead back we need that LT prospect to fill in for his injured time this year and be ready to take over next year. Don't think we can ignore OT no matter what holes we have on defense. But in this scenario could easily come out of first two rounds with an offensive and defensive tackle. Hopefully we can trade down and add at lease one more premium pick.

Agree that if it's not OT at 21/the 1st, there should be an OT worth drafting at 55, which isn't the case most years.

Agree that if it's not OT at 21/the 1st, there should be an OT worth drafting at 55, which isn't the case most years.
Dream scenario maybe but hoping for trade down to late 20's and pick up a 3rd round pick. Then take the Powers-Johnson center everyone is raving about, then come back in 2nd for that tackle in this deep draft. That player should be able to play LG too while also backing up Armstead.

Then you have a 3 to play with for that extra TE/WR weapon or to plug a hole on defense.

If we could come into next year with two solid O-line picks and assuming Hunt returns I think that could be a formidable unit.

It’s a deep OT draft. We could possibly even manage the kid from Yale in the 3rd. Ideally, we trade down a few spots and pick up 3rd +. Draft Powers-Johnson and then the highest rated OT available in the 2nd. Then possibly a DT in the 3rd.

all good options....I'd totally love if we can trade down and get a 3rd round pick or even a 4th......I'd be ok losing out on JPJ9depending on what happens with free agency) only because this is a deep OL draft and if we can add a 3rd then we could go OL/TE/DT with our top 3 picks.

Again, if Wilkins is back(not holding my breath) then forget about a DT unless is a day 3 pick but we can’t forget about the defense.......we could lose up to 6 or 7 starters/contributions to free agency and/or the cap

Wilkins
Davis
Avg
Brandon jones
Elliott are all free agents

Ogbah and Howard are most likely gone due to the cap

Bakar we don’t know if he'll get cut or not but that's a lot of players for the defense to lose and then you have Chubb and Phillips coming back from major surgery as we as Baker

Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you 🥂🥂🐬 At 21, it's him and Mims for me. Hoping one of those two are available 🙏🤞🐬

Long time no speak. Awesome to see that you've taken over for Slimm.

I know you're looking at Dolphins specific needs which is awesome.

Now with Dolphins specific needs have you done a mock draft sorta speak?

Meaning is this player like the Oregon C expected/likely to be there for us at #21?

Long time no speak. Awesome to see that you've taken over for Slimm.

I know you're looking at Dolphins specific needs which is awesome.

Now with Dolphins specific needs have you done a mock draft sorta speak?

Meaning is this player like the Oregon C expected/likely to be there for us at #21?
Pretty good chance JPJ makes it to Miami's pick.

Pittsburgh is right in front of the Fins and OL might be where they go and JPJ would be a great fit there, in fact many national mocks are putting him at #20 to the Steelers.

Back
Top Bottom