Draft Season ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿˆ | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Season ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿฌ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿˆ

Pretty good chance JPJ makes it to Miami's pick.

Pittsburgh is right in front of the Fins and OL might be where they go and JPJ would be a great fit there, in fact many national mocks are putting him at #20 to the Steelers.

Sadly, It's not Pittsburgh or any other team I'm worried about. it's our FO once more saying "We're fine at the OL position..." and then drafting some other position with the pick or trading back.

It's clear as day to all of us. If you want the best version of this offense you need 3 things

1) Better more consistent OL
2) A TE that can do more than block
3) A bigger/more physical receiver to compliment Waddle/Hill

There is no one better than to have Slimms mantel to passed onto Brett. J-off-her-doll has been a huge part of the draft season, for as long as I can remember.

Thank you, Jerry! ๐Ÿฅ‚ everyone should check out the great work you do in the Draft Buffet. Someone could spend days in that thread.

Thank you, Jerry! ๐Ÿฅ‚ everyone should check out the great work you do in the Draft Buffet. Someone could spend days in that thread.

Lord knows it feels like a lifetime in that thread. I do it for Finheaven. Those videos can give the members an idea of what a player can bring to the Miami Dolphins.

Sadly, It's not Pittsburgh or any other team I'm worried about. it's our FO once more saying "We're fine at the OL position..." and then drafting some other position with the pick or trading back.

It's clear as day to all of us. If you want the best version of this offense you need 3 things

I could see Miami passing on offensive line in round one, honestly. But if that happens, I can't see them passing in round two.

Obviously, if Bowers falls you've got your tight end. Verse? How could you pass him up? Also, maybe the Dolphins take that bigger receiver early, which might not be a bad idea.

I'm in the trade down and get more picks line, but not if Bowers or some elite talent drops.

I could see Miami passing on offensive line in round one, honestly. But if that happens, I can't see them passing in round two.

Obviously, if Bowers falls you've got your tight end. Verse? How could you pass him up? Also, maybe the Dolphins take that bigger receiver early, which might not be a bad idea.

I'm in the trade down and get more picks line, but not if Bowers or some elite talent drops.
the same way we passed on Goedert and instead drafted Gesicki......never know what this FO will do.

Canโ€™t see Verse getting to MIA if he did he would have to be the pick. Same with Bowers.

I think it has to be LOS especially OL if possible along with the trade down scenario would be great and get 2 LOS guys.

I donโ€™t see Wilkins staying or Williams if he stays being moved from center (I would be surprised if either of those happen as J-off noted).

Good question, Danny. I'm going to zoom out a bit to answer it, but before I do, I should say that I expect Wilkins to be back, and AVG coming back wouldn't surprise me either. Davis I don't really care about tbh.

I'll always prioritize building a strong core of offensive players, so as long as there are significant/progress-impeding holes on offense, I'll take the same-or-better offensive player.

In the above, Miami still has a hole at LG. Currently, I view Powers-Johnson as a better prospect than any of the DT's and probably better than any of the Edge players who will be available. Dallas Turner is the only Edge I'd rank a tier higher. So, I'd feel good about solidifying the interior of the OL, JPJ could potentially win the Center job and kick Williams to LG, and either way, you'd feel good about your Center depth, which has been a big problem for Miami at times, particularly against good teams. But, I would feel good about playing him at LG, C, or RG.

If it's Mims vs Powers-Johnson, that's tougher, but I think Miami has to add some real talent to the OL so that they can build a more versatile offense, and this is a very strong group of Offensive Linemen, so it'd be wise for Miami to capitalize. Edge and DT are OK this year, but 2025 looks better, particularly at Edge.

Add some stopgaps in FA, play smart, scrappy D, and see if the offense can find some answers with a better OL - and hopefully a better TE and a more physical 3rd option at WR.
Great question, Danny, and love this response, j-off-her-doll.

I would add that Tua needs a strong interior offensive line to be at his optimal effectiveness. In my opinion, losing Williams was huge as teams were able to get inside pressure more often on Tua. He's not moving off his spot as much as other quarterbacks. At least not in the way the offense currently functions.

Mims versus Powers Johnson is definitely a good debate. For Tua, Powers-Johnson might be the better pick. I also think maybe Kion Smith could play LT after Armstead retires. At least he showed some potential there.

That said, under this scenario (losing Wilkins) I might pivot to defense with maybe a Darius Robinson at 21, or with a slight trade down.

My reasoning? Robinson can play DE and essentially replace Ogbah and move inside on passing downs to mitigate some of what you lose with Wilkins.

I think Miami could add a quality, starting caliber interior offensive lineman in round two.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

With the Combine just a couple weeks, and the draft just a couple months, away, it's a great time to check out the Draft Forum. Lots of threads, viewing the draft from different angles, and you'll find some really well-reasoned takes on players and overall draft strategy from a variety of posters ๐ŸŒด I encourage you to check them out ๐Ÿฅ‚

As many of you know, Slimm retired from FH. Love Slimm, and I miss his rankings and takes, but @fishfanmiami and the staff (or maybe just him - idk tbh ๐Ÿ˜…) asked me to that take over for him.

So, I have rankings posted for every positional group - except P, K, and FB. My rankings are different from Slimm's in one key way: they're based on the Miami Dolphins. Most rankings you see will be general and not team-specific, which is understandable given that they're for an audience of fans of 32 different teams. But, it's not the way it works in real life. Brett Veech doesn't care if Trent McDuffie would be good on the Arizona Cardinals or if Creed Humphey would be good on the Tennessee Titans, etc.. With this being a Dolphins forum, I hope you guys will enjoy rankings based on who fits best within Miami's offensive and defensive systems.

I try to understand these players from as many angles as I can. I watch film to see what these guys do well and whether what they do well translates to the NFL; I use production metrics to measure the frequency with which they're successful and to cross-check what I'm seeing (maybe a guy made a spectacular contested catch in one of the games I watched, but it turns out he catches very few of his contested targets); and, I use athletic testing and measurements to cross-check what I'm seeing.

If you have any further questions about the process, please ask ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚ but, again, come check out the draft forum. There's lots of good discussion, as this is the time of year to dream of what could for our beloved Miami Dolphins ๐Ÿฌ

I judge you as more than worthy! Congratulations, and as always looking forward to your input

To be fair to Grier he used a 1st on Jackson, and 2nd's on Eich and Hunt.

Great question, Danny, and love this response, j-off-her-doll.

I would add that Tua needs a strong interior offensive line to be at his optimal effectiveness. In my opinion, losing Williams was huge as teams were able to get inside pressure more often on Tua. He's not moving off his spot as much as other quarterbacks. At least not in the way the offense currently functions.

Mims versus Powers Johnson is definitely a good debate. For Tua, Powers-Johnson might be the better pick. I also think maybe Kion Smith could play LT after Armstead retires. At least he showed some potential there.

That said, under this scenario (losing Wilkins) I might pivot to defense with maybe a Darius Robinson at 21, or with a slight trade down.

My reasoning? Robinson can play DE and essentially relace Ogbah and move inside on passing downs to mitigate some of what you lose with Wilkins.

I think Miami could add a quality, starting caliber interior offensive lineman in round two.
I have the same view point. Depending on the talent available at #21, potentially dictates what Miami does with the pick. If the talent is overwhelmingly in favor of an OL, it's likely Miami makes the pick. The only defensive player's I think could change Miami's mind at #21 are Verse or Mitchell, if they should drop. My thinking is they'll trade down.

Back
Top Bottom