Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE! | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting Mallett Would Be A Huge Mistake....HUGE!

Yes, Ted did drop some passes but he also had more returns for TD's than any player on ST in recent memory for Miami. He also burned Revis on a perfect throw from our much maligned Henne and once he was traded so went the ONLY true speed this team had....and when he was back there I truly had hope he could return it every time he touched the ball...last season I had ZERO hope or feeling that any player we had could take it to the house...or spread defenses with a go route.

In fact he single-handedly beat the Jets in New York his last full season in Miami with two returns for over 100 yards in 57 seconds.....

But your minds eye is blinded to that...

I have seen him play but not much, I do not feel college ball is comparable to Pro so I look for skill sets more than stats....

Today's better QB's are like Aaron Rodgers, Mike Vick, Vince Young (If his head were on straight) Cam Newton Potential (if his head is on straight), Colin Kaepernick, Strong arm with mobility

I don't think Mallett's going to be a great QB, but he is a Top 20 QB that i wouldn't draft tell the 3rd round because of all the " rumors "..........but he would be an upgrade over what we have.

If it was up to me we would draft Mark Ingram and use next years picks to pick up Ponder.

But back to Mallett if he wants to be one of the better Qb's in the NFL he will be because he has that kind of talent.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20110417/SPORTS06/104170341/1459/liv06/NFL-draft-Selecting-QB-an-inexact-science?odyssey=nav%7Chead

But quarterbacks picked early in the draft over the past couple of decades have leaned a lot heavier on busts than booms.
We'll let the numbers tell this story.
In the past 15 years, 20 quarterbacks have been selected with top-10 picks in the NFL draft.
Of those 20 selections, seven have been clear-cut busts. You know their names: Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Matt Leinart and JaMarcus Russell.
Another three have been clear disappointments: Alex Smith, Vince Young and Byron Leftwich.
Then there are guys who have had average careers like Carson Palmer or are too-early-to-tell projects like Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez.
Looking for a bona fide Hall of Famer?
There aren't many. Peyton Manning, for sure. Perhaps Philip Rivers, Michael Vick or Eli Manning one day.
And all of these quarterbacks are the cream of the crop first-rounders.

Go a little deeper in the first round and you run into disasters like Cade McNown (No. 12 pick), Kyle Boller (No. 19), J.P. Losman (No. 22), Brady Quinn (No. 22), Rex Grossman (No. 22) and Jim Druckenmiller (No. 26).
Of the 36 quarterbacks selected in the first round in the past 15 years, only one has been a first-team All-Pro: Peyton Manning.

None of the teams that drafted these busts are any worse off than Miami... In fact, several of them have played in superbowls AFTER busting out on these quarterbacks. Miami can't even make the playoffs, but at least they avoid the quarterback position like the plague in the 1st round.. they certainly have that going for 'em..

Indianapolis busted out on Jeff George #1 overall approximately 7 years before they decided to take a quarterback #1 overall again... Peyton Manning.

Busting on Kyle Boller didn't stop Baltimore from drafting Joe Flacco... Cleveland is no worse off after busting on Brady Quinn than Miami is for busting on Ginnger...

However, at least these teams understand that you're not going to be relevant without taking a chance on a quarterback..

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the teams that drafted these busts are any worse off than Miami... In fact, several of them have played in superbowls AFTER busting out on these quarterbacks. Miami can't even make the playoffs, but at least they avoid the quarterback position liek the plague in the 1st round.. they certainly have that going for 'em..

Indianapolis busted out on Jeff George #1 overall approximately 7 years before they decided to take a quarterback #1 overall again... Peyton Manning.

Busting on Kyle Boller didn't stop Baltimore from drafting Joe Flacco... Cleveland is no worse off after busting on Brady Quinn than Miami is for busting on Ginnger...

However, at least these teams understand that you're not going to be relevant without taking a chance on a quarterback..
Miami's status has NOTHING to do with the QB's or lack there of. it had all to doi with Foolishly allowing Dave to trade away future Draft picks.....and lack of stability in ownership and Management and Coaching over the past 10+ years.

I see them as moving in the right direction and to waste a mid to late round pick on a QB who was PROJECTED to go 3-4 round before the over hype will only set them back cause QB controversy and ruin the season in my opinion...

Yes, Ted did drop some passes but he also had more returns for TD's than any player on ST in recent memory for Miami. He also burned Revis on a perfect throw from our much maligned Henne and once he was traded so went the ONLY true speed this team had....and when he was back there I truly had hope he could return it every time he touched the ball...last season I had ZERO hope or feeling that any player we had could take it to the house...or spread defenses with a go route.

In fact he single-handedly beat the Jets in New York his last full season in Miami with two returns for over 100 yards in 57 seconds.....

But your minds eye is blinded to that...

Saying he dropped "some" passes is being kind. Ginn dropped just about everything that was thrown his way.

Saying he dropped "some" passes is being kind. Ginn dropped just about everything that was thrown his way.

Not true....

In fact the only thing Ginn was guilty of was not even his fault....

He was drafted to High; he would have been there in round two....maybe even later.

None of the teams that drafted these busts are any worse off than Miami... In fact, several of them have played in superbowls AFTER busting out on these quarterbacks. Miami can't even make the playoffs, but at least they avoid the quarterback position like the plague in the 1st round.. they certainly have that going for 'em..

Well said, I can't really understand those who don't get that.

Like I said, I am not so sure that Henne is not that QB yet. This year will help convince me one way or the other. But if we did things my way I still don't see the problem because this team needs more talent on offense regardless...

I do not equate Henne with Jay Fiedler..... I was NOT a Fielder supporter. They won despite him IMO. But Henne's is just still to young to throw away....especially with what all went wrong on offense last year.....

Drafting a quarterback in the 1st round =/= throwing Chad Henne away...

Not if, but when Henne flops, everybody in the league knows what Miami has to do with their 1st round pick next year.. Right now they have the luxury of letting Mallett sit while they give Henne enough rope to hang himself with..

We are drafting 15th . . . taking a chance on ANY of these QB's "could be a mistake" . . . but a "huge mistake" . . . no way. Even if Ingram, Pouncey or whoever turn out to be all pro's . . . just the chance of landing a bonafide franchise QB is worth the risk at 15. Worst case scenario, you go fishing again next year . . . it is what it is, but until we stop hearing "Is Chad Henne the answer" . . . we will always have to keep searching for an answer.

And if Henne LIGHTS it up this season, having 2 quality QB's on this roster can only be classified as a GREAT thing.

Miami's status has NOTHING to do with the QB's or lack there of. it had all to doi with Foolishly allowing Dave to trade away future Draft picks.....and lack of stability in ownership and Management and Coaching over the past 10+ years.

I see them as moving in the right direction and to waste a mid to late round pick on a QB who was PROJECTED to go 3-4 round before the over hype will only set them back cause QB controversy and ruin the season in my opinion...

Yeah, passing on Drew Brees wasnt a mistake at all. So Miami only going to the playoffs twice in over a decade has nothing to do with the fact we haven't had a quarterback. And its really the "lack of stability" in the coaching staff(which they have all been stable save for Cameron, who you felt shouldnt have been fired). Right.

Your getting more and more amusing. Keep reaching for straws.

I do not consider Henne a bust...just yet. So to me there is no need to reach for a QB....

Like I said, I am not so sure that Henne is not that QB yet. This year will help convince me one way or the other. But if we did things my way I still don't see the problem because this team needs more talent on offense regardless...

I do not equate Henne with Jay Fiedler..... I was NOT a Fielder supporter. They won despite him IMO. But Henne's is just still to young to throw away....especially with what all went wrong on offense last year.....

If you waste another year on Henne, and wait till next year to draft a real QB, that puts you another year behind. The other positions can be filled next year more easily than the QB position.

Miami didn't lack stability with Wannstedt... the problem was they gave an incompetent front office and coaching staff TOO MUCH stability. Which isn't too far off from what they're accomplishing now....

They were trading away future draft picks trying to "put pieces" around a scrub quarterback... the WRONG guy.

When you get a legitimate franchise quarterback in the fold, all those other holes get a lot smaller... real fast.

Not true....

In fact the only thing Ginn was guilty of was not even his fault....

He was drafted to High; he would have been there in round two....maybe even later.

Yes, he was drafted too high. Nobody disputes that, but the things Ginn could fix, he didn't. He would always let opposing DB's push him around, he would always run out of bounds versus picking up an extra yard or two, and he dropped way too many easy passes. Ginn sucks as a football player, and that's nobody else's fault but Ted Ginn Jr.

I do not consider Henne a bust...just yet. So to me there is no need to reach for a QB....

Well, Henne is a bust. He's been in the league three years now, entering his fourth season. How many more times do you need to see him suck on the field before you realize he's the same guy that he was at Michigan?

Back
Top Bottom