Drew Bledsoe discussion split from a Wade Smith thread. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Bledsoe discussion split from a Wade Smith thread.

Ok, I'm done bashing Bledsoe and wanted to end it with a positive about the man. Here's a quote from Brady yesterday:

Brady was asked what he most admired about Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe. "He never makes excuses for anything," Brady said. "He gets right to it. I remember him jamming his thumb one game and going back in the game and playing, then playing the next week and hardly throwing a pass all week and went out and played a great game. He was extremely tough, very diligent. Football is very important in his life. I think you look at those qualities, and those are the type of things I really look to, I really admire, because to play 12 years, that's the type of commitment you need, and he certainly is a great example of that."

Thats true. He's a pro, no doubt about it. And I would much rather have my kid use Drew Bledsoe as a role model over a Terrell Owens any day, and twice on Sunday.

Finally, Justa, my original point from the Wade Smith discussion was that its seldom wise to pay the price to get a pick today by leveraging future picks. Its more likely to bite you in the a** like it did with Wade Smith (trading a future 2nd round pick for a 3rd on draft day) or the Bills trading a future #1 for Losman. Its not so much the trade of #1s thats so bad, its the other two picks you had to throw in to entice Parcells to make the deal. Teams that accumulate picks can build depth and carry out a long-term plan. But this philosophy runs counter to teams that have FO personnel on the hot seat.

I'm done! Feel free to counter-point. :)

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Thats why I've been careful to not say that he won't be able to adapt. Stranger things have happened. Sadly, I like Bledsoe and think he showed a lot of class when he lost his job to Brady. If he played on another team, I could actually root for him.

Ricky could also return and have his rights traded. The RW saga isn't over yet, but I don't believe he'll be a Dolphin again.
Yup, he's a class act.

Things is, he's been under Gilbride for 2 yrs. and under Mularkey for 2 games. While Mularkey has been able to turn qb's carreer around , it's not looking good for Drew but in fairness, 2 games is not enough time to judge him. He was Dilferlike in the first game and back to his old habits of holding on to the ball in the 2nd. I still believe he will have awsome games but not on a consistent basis.

FlyingElvis said:
Finally, Justa, my original point from the Wade Smith discussion was that its seldom wise to pay the price to get a pick today by leveraging future picks. Its more likely to bite you in the a** like it did with Wade Smith (trading a future 2nd round pick for a 3rd on draft day) or the Bills trading a future #1 for Losman. Its not so much the trade of #1s thats so bad, its the other two picks you had to throw in to entice Parcells to make the deal. Teams that accumulate picks can build depth and carry out a long-term plan. But this philosophy runs counter to teams that have FO personnel on the hot seat.

I'm done! Feel free to counter-point. :)
I see your point however, we traded our future draft for our future qb. We didn't just trade it away for a has been or a stop gap.

Another thing is, it may very well be that Donohoe is hoping that he could do the same he did with Price if Henry and Mcgahee turn out to be elite rb's and he can recoup that 1st pick be trading 1 of them. Is that likely so? I don't know but it is a possibility.

Justasportsfan said:
Yup, he's a class act.

Things is, he's been under Gilbride for 2 yrs. and under Mularkey for 2 games. While Mularkey has been able to turn qb's carreer around , it's not looking good for Drew but in fairness, 2 games is not enough time to judge him. He was Dilferlike in the first game and back to his old habits of holding on to the ball in the 2nd. I still believe he will have awsome games but not on a consistent basis.

If he doesn't turn it around, the bigger question for Donahoe is, "What did you see in 2003 that made you believe he should be back for 2004?" Why pay him the roster bonus? Why not go after one of the other veteran QBs? They could have gotten rid of Bledsoe with a minimal cap hit. He chose to keep Bledsoe. If Bledsoe doesn't work out, Donahoe is guilty of making the same mistake twice.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
If he doesn't turn it around, the bigger question for Donahoe is, "What did you see in 2003 that made you believe he should be back for 2004?" Why pay him the roster bonus? Why not go after one of the other veteran QBs? They could have gotten rid of Bledsoe with a minimal cap hit. He chose to keep Bledsoe. If Bledsoe doesn't work out, Donahoe is guilty of making the same mistake twice.
nope it would've been a huge cap hit.I'm not sure but the buy out clause was 4 million. Don't quote me on that.

However, getting rid of drew would send out a message to the entire FA's...stay away.

Remember, Mularkey thinks he can fix Drew and even Wyche said Drew isn't done.

Drew would also make a great mentor for Losman. Ask Brady.

Back
Top Bottom