Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

but even he wouldn't be quite the mismatch if not for gronk and all the headaches he creates...you can limit hernandez a whole lot more than you can gronk and that's cause you can line up gronk anywhere and he'll beat you...

I thought he played just fine without Gronk last year, in fact he played better. And Gronk doesnt line up anywhere - thats Hernandez that lines up anywhere.

so i guess the idea is we're gonna pass to run...kinda like the packers...they never commit to the run...the pass opens up whatever run game they have...interesting philosophy...pats are kinda like that also...they spread you out and threaten you with the pass so much that it open up the run game in single back sets etc...

seems to be a little different than what i've seen of sherman at a & m and here to date but maybe that was all about personnel he had to work with and wanting to do something different but being unable to do so...

so should we expect 50 pass attempts to be the norm already??? hmmmm....

That's the way the personnel is being set up by Jeff Ireland. Whether Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman will show that they agree with it in practice, remains to be seen. I remember this time last year taking a close look at how the Browns had been set up personnel-wise and thinking man these guys are going to hit with the power running game 30 times a game, very old school. Then Brandon Weeden drops back to pass like 40 to 45 times a game, inexplicably.

So we'll see if the personnel planning ends up matching the coaching. I know this, if you're going to immitate those unbalanced passing attacks you'd better hope Ryan Tannehill is the next Aaron Rodgers. Even with the additions of Dustin Keller and Mike Wallace, I wouldn't accuse Miami's skill unit of being top 10. It'll have to be the quarterback that is top 10.

The team is not set up to block well, period. They're set up to pass the ball, or die trying.

Well god damn after the misery of the last 10 years im more than happy to see the team try this. Maybe it wont work but its worth a try. What exactly have we got to lose?

If Tannehill really is the player some of us think he can be and we can keep improving his weapons then we could have an exciting pass heavy offense for the first time in a long long time.

Well god damn after the misery of the last 10 years im more than happy to see the team try this. Maybe it wont work but its worth a try. What exactly have we got to lose?

If Tannehill really is the player some of us think he can be and we can keep improving his weapons then we could have an exciting pass heavy offense for the first time in a long long time.

Balance is the wisest choice, IMO. Especially with a young quarterback that hasn't yet become what we hope he'll be. Artificially speeding up that process is not a good idea. Even Tom Brady, arguably a top 5 quarterback to ever play the game, in his second year he operated within an offense that limited what it asked of him and had a commitment to running the football, and thusly they won the Super Bowl. They didn't become the full on, full flowered passing attack you see nowadays until 2007 which was Tom's 8th year in the league.

I think people are transacting in hope right now a little more than reality.

Dion Sims, most important draftee of them all?

Yes he is. Sims is the only TE on the roster who supposedly can actually play the true TE roll. Keller is a fine option in the passing game but if you need to grind it out on the ground he sucks in the blocking game. Keller might improve that aspect of his game this season but even if he does he isn't Fasano. Fasano was a damn fine blocker, almost like having a second tackle out there on the end and that is what you want from your TE on the strong side.

Someone needs to fill the roll of true TE. Keller, Clay and Egnew will be fine in the passing game but Sims seems to be the only blocking TE on the team and he is a rookie, so that would make him a big deal. One could make the case that his success is an even bigger deal than any other draft pick.

If you traded up from 12 overall to 3 overall to take a pass rusher, yet your 4th round blocking tight end is your most important draft pick, ur doin it wrong.

If you traded up from 12 overall to 3 overall to take a pass rusher, yet your 4th round blocking tight end is your most important draft pick, ur doin it wrong.

Not what I meant, I meant that particular need must be filled right now.

The rusher opposite Wake is what it is. Jordan needs to be the real deal but if he only manages 6 sacks this season opposite Wake that isn't a bigger deal than having zero blocking ability at the TE position, if you need to chew up clock time in a tight game you better be able to rush the ball and if you cannot teams like the Pats, Denver, Saints etc..are going to win every time. The best defense against guys like Brady, Manning and Bress is letting them sit and watch on the sideline.

Rushing the QB will help your defense no doubt about it and Jordan is here to do exactly that, rush and get to the QB taking pressure off the secondary but if your offense goes three and out every series becasue you cannot convert 3rd and 2 it isn't much going to matter because no amount of pass rush is going to win the game.

I don't agree with that at all. Teams always have the option of just stuffing a third tackle on the field for blocking, and many teams do exactly that. Hell Miami has a tight end they converted to the offensive line already that would be perfect for it and you can guarantee he's already a better blocker than Dion Sims.

If Dion Jordan turns out to be a good pass rusher in 2013, it will affect the team FAR more than if Dion Sims turns out to be a good blocker.

I don't agree with that at all. Teams always have the option of just stuffing a third tackle on the field for blocking, and many teams do exactly that. Hell Miami has a tight end they converted to the offensive line already that would be perfect for it and you can guarantee he's already a better blocker than Dion Sims.

If Dion Jordan turns out to be a good pass rusher in 2013, it will affect the team FAR more than if Dion Sims turns out to be a good blocker.

Agreed. I could argue improving the pass rush is the most important thing for the Fins. A strong and sustained pass rush can create turnovers. The lack of TO's last year was alarming. If the Fins can be + 10 this year, I think they can sneak into the playoffs. However, increasing a pass rush is easier said than done.

Yes he is. Sims is the only TE on the roster who supposedly can actually play the true TE roll. Keller is a fine option in the passing game but if you need to grind it out on the ground he sucks in the blocking game. Keller might improve that aspect of his game this season but even if he does he isn't Fasano. Fasano was a damn fine blocker, almost like having a second tackle out there on the end and that is what you want from your TE on the strong side.

Someone needs to fill the roll of true TE. Keller, Clay and Egnew will be fine in the passing game but Sims seems to be the only blocking TE on the team and he is a rookie, so that would make him a big deal. One could make the case that his success is an even bigger deal than any other draft pick.

I don't think it's an accident that we now have 3 TEs who don't block well (clay Egnew Keller) and let 2 TEs that block very well go. Red zone...Sims and Yeatman. Everywhere else we will be relying on the spacing Keller Wallace Gibson Hartline creates to give Lamar Miller room to run. Thank God too. We are adapting nicely to the new NFL..

That's true they can just shuffle a third tackle on the field but that just frees up that linebacker to stuff the box because there is almost zero worry of the tackle catching a play action pass or chip blocking and releasing into the flat. In a jumbo situation sure fine, that tackle is OK because everyone on the field knows you are going to pound that ball and you are daring the D to stop you. Having a guy like Yeatman (who last I checked was playing Gaurd at one point) isn't going to instill any fear into the linebackers.

Jason Taylor really became a great pass rusher after his third year and that is all I am saying about Jordan, the pressure for him to be great isn't there right now he has time. If he is good that is good enough with Wake manning the other side and in fact with Wake there Jordan is already in a much better situation than Taylor was in with Trace Armstrong. Wake > Armstrong ever was and that gives no excuse to Jordan for a sub par rookie year but if he ends up having one it isn't going to ruin the Defense.

Now with regard to Sims, does the fate of the offense hing on him and him alone, not in the least but but all I'm saying is the need for a decent all round TE is higher than the need for a premier DE/OLB at this moment in time. We don't have a good all around TE we have a great DE and that alone reduces the pressure for Jordan to perform.

If Jordan comes out of the gates and tears it up, no doubt about it, it will help the team far more than a blocking Sims but the point I'm trying to make is Jordan has a luxury the TE group doesn't have a proven stud at that position. Keller, Clay, Egnew and Sims verse Odrick, Jordan, Wake and Vernon, I know what group if I'm coach Philbin I'm mnre comfortable with heading into camp and I also know what group needs to have a player step up the most.

That's true they can just shuffle a third tackle on the field but that just frees up that linebacker to stuff the box because there is almost zero worry of the tackle catching a play action pass or chip blocking and releasing into the flat. In a jumbo situation sure fine, that tackle is OK because everyone on the field knows you are going to pound that ball and you are daring the D to stop you. Having a guy like Yeatman (who last I checked was playing Gaurd at one point) isn't going to instill any fear into the linebackers.
Minutes after his team upset USC Sept. 15, Stanford coach David Shaw offered what amounts to a mission statement for the Cardinal offense.

"If it's a tight game in the fourth quarter, we're going to run the ball," Shaw said. "We always talk about it. We don't have fat guys. We have big guys. Our guys have got to play four quarters. We've got to be ready in the four-minute drill to run the ball and run the ball and run the ball. With our fullbacks and our tight ends and our seven offensive linemen on the field, we've got to be able to do it."

Perhaps the best reason to bring in that extra lineman.
Adding linemen forces the defense to make all sorts of unpleasant decisions very quickly. Do the defensive ends line up wider than usual? If they do, they widen gaps and create running lanes. Also, with so many linemen spread across the line of scrimmage, it's easier to get a favorable angle to block a defensive lineman. Need to move the defensive tackle lined up on the outside eye of the guard? Just smash him with the tackle, then let the lineman lined up outside the tackle crush the linebacker behind him. Those wider gaps also allow linemen to come off untouched to hit much smaller linebackers. Without some interference from a defensive lineman, a linebacker can get smothered.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...florida-offensive-line-walkthrough/index.html

Skills don't disappear. By all accounts what he needed was work ethic etc. hope it works out b

Back
Top Bottom