Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

I was thinking the opposite. He needs to gain weight, not lose it. A 6'5 240 TE will get blown over by a gust of wind in the NFL. He needs more lower body strength for blocking. Right now he has chicken legs, and is really just an oversized WR.

he's not gonna win against coverage at 251 lbs being a one speed only te...he's bloated at that weight doesn't carry it well...and no matter what you do you're not making this boy scout body guy into a solid blocking te...forget about it...play to his strengths...

his strength and form will never be good enough as a blocker where you can get away with him in line in pass pro on an island so forget about it...salvage what you can...lean him up and flex him out and let him get lbs in space and work underneath against zones and read coverage etc...

keep asking him to do and be something he's not and you'll surely end up with a bust...time to try something else...get back to 2010 body...long and lean...a little burst and quickness to his game...

keller can't block either...the fact that none of our te's could handle themselves in line is why dion sims is here...that was a need pick as much as any we've made...glaring need for a in line te that's not a disaster...

all this sims is gonna get vertical stuff is way off base...he'll make his plays down the field about like fasano did...when the opposition forgets about him...the further that kid carries his routes down the field the less comfortable he is...

he's not gonna win against coverage at 251 lbs being a one speed only te...he's bloated at that weight doesn't carry it well...and no matter what you do you're not making this boy scout body guy into a solid blocking te...forget about it...play to his strengths...

Not sure I agree with that. In fact, Philbin himself has alluded to the fact that Egnew isnt on the field because he wasnt a complete TE. If they didnt think he could become a complete TE, he wouldn't be on the team.

If you don't have your TE block at least occasionally, and is used exclusively as a pass catcher, then he is just a WR. You lose your matchup completely when he becomes just a WR.

keller can't block either...the fact that none of our te's could handle themselves in line is why dion sims is here...that was a need pick as much as any we've made...glaring need for a in line te that's not a disaster...

all this sims is gonna get vertical stuff is way off base...he'll make his plays down the field about like fasano did...when the opposition forgets about him...the further that kid carries his routes down the field the less comfortable he is...

Thats still useful though, Fasano may have been a limited receiving threat but he was a reliable pass catcher and a pair of players like Keller and Fasano together could be very effective against just about anyone. The issue with Fasano was that he was the primary rather than secondary option as a pass catching TE, Sims could be very effective beside Keller imo.

Not sure I agree with that. In fact, Philbin himself has alluded to the fact that Egnew isnt on the field because he wasnt a complete TE. If they didnt think he could become a complete TE, he wouldn't be on the team.

If you don't have your TE block at least occasionally, and is used exclusively as a pass catcher, then he is just a WR. You lose your matchup completely when he becomes just a WR.

tell the pats that with aaron hernandez...

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Thats still useful though, Fasano may have been a limited receiving threat but he was a reliable pass catcher and a pair of players like Keller and Fasano together could be very effective against just about anyone. The issue with Fasano was that he was the primary rather than secondary option as a pass catching TE, Sims could be very effective beside Keller imo.

i never said he couldn't be effective with a more seam threat in house at te...absolutely...but this sims is antonio gates stuff...well there's nothing to even remotely indicate that is in the cards on tape...

tell the pats that with aaron hernandez...

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

i never said he couldn't be effective with a more seam threat in house at te...absolutely...but this sims is antonio gates stuff...well there's nothing to even remotely indicate that is in the cards on tape...

Aaron Hernandez blocks plenty, so not sure what you are talking about.

Aaron Hernandez blocks plenty, so not sure what you are talking about.

ha ha...he gets in the way i'll give you that...the pats know his limitations and they don't ask him to do more than they should...miami would be wise to go a similar route with egnew...even though he doesn't have hernandez short area quickness and cod and will never be the same level mismatch

ha ha...he gets in the way i'll give you that...the pats know his limitations and they don't ask him to do more than they should...miami would be wise to go a similar route with egnew...even though he doesn't have hernandez short area quickness and cod and will never be the same level mismatch

Even if he just got in the way (which I disagree with, Hernandez came about as a decent blocker in 2013) it is light years ahead of Egnew, who has never blocked anyone in college or the NFL.

And besides, using the Pat as a measuring stick is pretty wortheless when gauging Egnew. They have a lot of 2 TE sets, where 1 TE's blocking deficiency can be minimized.

Even if he just got in the way (which I disagree with) it is light years ahead of Egnew, who has never blocked anyone in college or the NFL.

what's your point??? the guy will never block worth a crap...that's a given...and you want to get him to add weight in his lower half for some damn reason when he has no suddenness in his game when he puts on weight period...

and no the pats don't ask egnew to handle a 34 olb one on one in pass pro or take on a 43 de b himself...they pick his battles wisely...more a get in the way and reach guy and come from the back side or flow down inside and take on a safety...he's not being counted on to keep guys off the qb one on one

what's your point??? the guy will never block worth a crap...that's a given...and you want to get him to add weight in his lower half for some damn reason when he has no suddenness in his game when he puts on weight period...

and no the pats don't ask egnew to handle a 34 olb one on one in pass pro or take on a 43 de b himself...they pick his battles wisely...more a get in the way and reach guy and come from the back side or flow down inside and take on a safety...he's not being counted on to keep guys off the qb one on one

My point is that he is learning to block, and that exactly what our coaching staff has asked him to do, and thats the only way he will ever see the field in Miami as said by Philbin himself. Now what you are talking about is a whole different pile of garbage...

Even if he just got in the way (which I disagree with, Hernandez came about as a decent blocker in 2013) it is light years ahead of Egnew, who has never blocked anyone in college or the NFL.

And besides, using the Pat as a measuring stick is pretty wortheless when gauging Egnew. They have a lot of 2 TE sets, where 1 TE's blocking deficiency can be minimized.

what do you think miami is gonna do with egnew if he makes the roster and sees the field much??? that very thing...

what do you think miami is gonna do with egnew if he makes the roster and sees the field much??? that very thing...

Right, because we did that so much last year. Its a staple of the Mike Sherman offense :chuckle:

My point is that he is learning to block, and that exactly what our coaching staff has asked him to do, and thats the only way he will ever see the field in Miami as said by Philbin himself. Now what you are talking about is a whole different pile of garbage...

garbage because you can't wrap your head around it i guess...get back to me when the light bulb comes on...i can't change your understanding on things...nor am i gonna try...

garbage because you can't wrap your head around it i guess...get back to me when the light bulb comes on...i can't change your understanding on things...nor am i gonna try...

I agree, it is garbage because I cant wrap my head around the idea that a TE shouldn't be considered to block. That very idea of yours is exactly what you called it - garbage.

I agree, it is garbage because I cant wrap my head around the idea that a TE shouldn't be considered to block. That very idea of yours is exactly what you called it - garbage.

complete misread on your part...i assumed i guess that you would know more...it's not like i was reinventing the wheel here or something...egnew was drafted with the idea of being the 2nd te opposite the primary in line fasano guy...to stretch the field and be a mismatch...

you know...like gronk and hernandez...who are on the field together so much in 2 te sets cause they are primary playmakers in the o and mismatch problems for the oppositions base d and even nickle etc...it's all about personnel mismatches... gronk however is such a physical mismatch and has the ability to also make plays down the field making him an even bigger nightmare as you can line him up in a variety of locations and still get great bang for your buck and also not give away intentions...

you got to be assanine to draft egnew expecting him to ever handle primary in line duties...

Back
Top Bottom