Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

Wow...you read my mind Digital. I was just going to post this series of pictures and see if anyone else thought Egnew looks like he's slimmed up compared with a year ago. Took the words right out of my mouth as far as him bulking up for the Combine and for the NFL and ending up just a slower version of himself who still can't block. But now it looks like he's slimmed up again. Well done, Digital.

Egnew at the Combine (not in pads)
clear.gif
201203071829665501314p2jpeg-1.jpg

Egnew in Miami 2012 (not in pads)
michaelEgnew-1.jpg

Egnew in Miami 2012 (in pads)
hires151309085_display_image-1.jpg

Egnew now (not in pads)
tempDENX8705--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Great stuff as always CK, thanks.

And yes, he does look slimmer now, excellent point.

I hope he does well. However, I will reserve judgment until he puts pads on and actually has to block someone and take a hit. The guy is an excellent athlete. I'm not surprised he is doing well running around in shorts.

Balderdash! Hard knocks showed a montage of drops, he cant possibly have good hands or receiving ability :p

Im not saying Egnew will ever be a great TE but I do stick up for him as I dont think its time to give up on him yet, he still has potential.

Don't forget, getting chewed out by Coach Sherman. If that doesn't make one's career an automatic bust, I don't know what does.

Just as a point of reference, I think one of the most athletic TE's in the NFL is Jimmy Graham from The U. Here is a little comparison of the athletic freak Graham and the much maligned Michael Egnew in a few areas as of their respective NFL combines:

Jimmy Graham
Michael Egnew
6'6
6'5
260 lbs
252 lbs
4.56 forty
4.62 foty
38.6 vert
36.0 vert
10.0 ft. broad
10.11 ft. broad
DNA reps
21 reps
6.90 3-cone
7.03 3-cone

So, while Jimmy Graham tested better, you can see that Egnew was extremely athletic as well, and even holds the record for TE's since 2010 for the broad jump. This shows lots of speed, quickness and explosion. Presumably, he may even be quicker and faster slimmed down. The athletic talent is there. If he can hone his craft, the sky is the limit.

Just as a point of reference, I think one of the most athletic TE's in the NFL is Jimmy Graham from The U. Here is a little comparison of the athletic freak Graham and the much maligned Michael Egnew in a few areas as of their respective NFL combines:

So, while Jimmy Graham tested better, you can see that Egnew was extremely athletic as well, and even holds the record for TE's since 2010 for the broad jump. This shows lots of speed, quickness and explosion. Presumably, he may even be quicker and faster slimmed down. The athletic talent is there. If he can hone his craft, the sky is the limit.

Believe it or not, you've actually sold Egnew short on some of those numbers. According to NFL Draft Scout which you can find the profile HERE, Egnew ran a 4.52 in the 40 at the Combine. And while it's true that he did a 10'11" broad jump and 36 inch vertical jump at the Combine, he did 11'3" and 37.5 inches at his pro day.

Here are the actual numbers, from the only source I trust.

Jimmy Graham
Michael Egnew
6'6
6'5
260 lbs
252 lbs
4.53 forty
4.52 forty
38.5 vertical
37.5 vertical (pro day)
10'00" broad
11'03" broad (pro day)
15 bench reps (pro day)
21 bench reps
4.39 shuttle (pro day)
4.32 shuttle
6.90 cone
7.03 cone

He is despised here.... But he still has potential.

Plenty of good players have had awful rookie years. Maybe Egnew is a bust, a solid vet or an all pro... Its still too early to say, this season will say a lot though.

If he is a bust lets hope we somehow get finley... Who despite a crap rookie year is my favourite TE (see what I did there? Lol)
I don't despise the guy...some guys take longer to "get it"

I don't despise the guy...some guys take longer to "get it"

The thing is some people on this forum dont want him to "get it" they want him to fail

Believe it or not, you've actually sold Egnew short on some of those numbers. According to NFL Draft Scout which you can find the profile HERE, Egnew ran a 4.52 in the 40 at the Combine. And while it's true that he did a 10'11" broad jump and 36 inch vertical jump at the Combine, he did 11'3" and 37.5 inches at his pro day.

Jimmy GrahamMichael Egnew
6'66'5
260 lbs252 lbs
4.53 forty4.52 forty
38.5 vertical37.5 vertical (pro day)
10'00" broad11'03" broad (pro day)
15 bench reps (pro day)21 bench reps
4.39 shuttle (pro day)4.32 shuttle
6.90 cone7.03 cone

I wasn't aware of what a great athlete this guy is. That's interesting. It also explains why the staff is really trying to give him a shot.

It's extremely immature to want for a football player to "fail", after his rookie season...just to say to yourself (and to this board) "Ï told you so"...We all know some players take sometimes more than a year to develop, to ynderstand the game, system, and your roll on the professional team you have been assigned to perform. If Egnew is still here, and is reported to be improving, to me, this is nothing but an indicator that Philbin &co are succeding in transforming the prospect, into a contributor, and it only makes it more interesting and worthy of attention. Some just have no patience/vision, and expect every college player to tear it up from the get go...It's the Elites who make it un the NFL, and if your attityde is right, you eventyally contribute. For some, it's sooner than later, it all depends on the severity of the adjustments you have to make, and your commitment level.

Jimmy Graham
Michael Egnew
6'6
6'5
260 lbs
252 lbs
4.53 forty
4.52 forty
38.5 vertical
37.5 vertical (pro day)
10'00" broad
11'03" broad (pro day)
15 bench reps (pro day)
21 bench reps
4.39 shuttle (pro day)
4.32 shuttle
6.90 cone
7.03 cone

Fantastic. Thanks for updating these CK.

Watching the guy in college you could really tell the guy was quick. That's the aspect that hasn't really come across in the limited reps we have seen of him as a Dolphin yet.

well if it's true he's slimmed down and dropped weight after coming in last year and being 251 lbs that's good for him...cause it's the only shot he's got...said it over a year ago...smart man...bloated at 251 lbs and showed no burst or quick twitch

comes to camp at 250 plus he's camp fodder...close to 240 much more interesting prospect and player...try and be a poor mans aaron hernandez...lean up...get back to the 2010 michael egnew on college tape

well if it's true he's slimmed down and dropped weight after coming in last year and being 251 lbs that's good for him...cause it's the only shot he's got...said it over a year ago...smart man...bloated at 251 lbs and showed no burst or quick twitch

comes to camp at 250 plus he's camp fodder...close to 240 much more interesting prospect and player...try and be a poor mans aaron hernandez...lean up...get back to the 2010 michael egnew on college tape

I was thinking the opposite. He needs to gain weight, not lose it. A 6'5 240 TE will get blown over by a gust of wind in the NFL. He needs more lower body strength for blocking. Right now he has chicken legs, and is really just an oversized WR.

Why does he need all this blocking skill, Dustin Keller cant block for **** and he is our starting TE *shrug*

Why does he need all this blocking skill, Dustin Keller cant block for **** and he is our starting TE *shrug*

Keller isnt a great blocker but he can block at least. The Jets used to him block quite a bit actually.

Back
Top Bottom