Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

I am concerned about what Egnew's so called success in OTAs means with regards to our linebackers. We just went through getting rid of a set of old and slow linebackers who couldn't cover tight ends -- in particular the Patriot tight ends. It appears that we have replaced them with a set of young and slow linebackers who also can't cover tight ends. Exactly what I would expect out of Jeff Ireland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am concerned about what Egnew's so called success in OTAs means with regards to our linebackers. We just went through getting rid of a set of old and slow linebackers who couldn't cover tight ends -- in particular the Patriot tight ends. It appears that we have replaced them with a set of young and slow linebackers who also can't cover tight ends. Exactly what I would expect out of Jeff Ireland.

Wheeler isn't slow at all and is good in coverage. Both are younger and faster than what we had.

Wheeler isn't slow at all and is good in coverage. Both are younger and faster than what we had.

Egnew's so called success in OTAs is an existence proof to the contrary. If Egnew can get open against our number ones then we don't have a chance in hell against Gronkowski.

Just to continue with the original topic here, evidently Egnew hasn't been busted back down to private quite yet. He's still working second team, ahead of Charles Clay. In fact he scored a TD today, splitting Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley 1m
Egnew, TD. Yes you read that correctly. Split Jones and Clemons.

What's funny about this is that while it doesn't mean anything at all as it's just OTAs, I know for a fact that some people that have staked out the most extreme positions on Michael Egnew as a player actually genuinely dislike reading that he scored a touchdown.

Egnew's so called success in OTAs is an existence proof to the contrary. If Egnew can get open against our number ones then we don't have a chance in hell against Gronkowski.

You do realize this is May, don't you?

Letting a TE with 4.5 speed get open means the defense sucks?

This turned into a Debbie downer thread, and it's a shame that people just can't give the kid the benefit of the doubt as to how hard he has worked during the off season. I'm pretty sure he will be uses on offense this, even if he's not asked to block much, but you know never know, he might have gotten better. He's not a small man at 6"6 and with a lil coaching and mma leverage and and hand usage WILL be useful

Got to love Miami fans, after the biggest off season ever in franchise history, it's Michael Egnew who gets most of the attention.

for what its worth

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz now
Safety kelcie mccray also impressed today. Had a pick. Philbin said tight end egnew "clearly has made progress."

Just another thread for you to show your Ireland hate. Get a life man!

Let's be clear about what Egnew is and what he wasn't last year.

Egnew is 6'4 or 6'5 and an athletic monster who destroyed the NFL Combine. You are not going to find a better testing TE in the underwear Olympics. Also, Egnew came from Missouri as a fast receiver masquerading as a TE who wasn't ever asked to be a true complete NFL TE until last year.Egnew has displayed good hands. If the light ever comes on for this kid his ceiling is very high. He is very quick and fast with boatloads of explosion.

What Egnew wasn't last year was physical, instinctual, dependable or productive. The kid knew he had to bulk up, and he did, but he wasn't powerful enough and he lost some of his athleticism. He didn't play with leverage and wasn't effective blocking according to coaches. Philbin specifically mentioned his play speed was slow and to me that means he's thinking not instinctively acting and reacting as experienced players tend to do.

My guess is that he tried to be what the Dolphins wanted--a bigger and more complete TE--but didn't accomplish that last season. This off season, hopefully he took the coaching to heart and tried differently and more effectively to become what the Dolphins want him to be.

Let's hope he is making great strides to becoming that player, because it would be a huge benefit to this team to have a guy with potential similar to Jared Cook actually realize that potential.

Wow...you read my mind Digital. I was just going to post this series of pictures and see if anyone else thought Egnew looks like he's slimmed up compared with a year ago. Took the words right out of my mouth as far as him bulking up for the Combine and for the NFL and ending up just a slower version of himself who still can't block. But now it looks like he's slimmed up again. Well done, Digital.

Egnew at the Combine (not in pads)
clear.gif
201203071829665501314p2jpeg-1.jpg

Egnew in Miami 2012 (not in pads)
michaelEgnew-1.jpg

Egnew in Miami 2012 (in pads)
hires151309085_display_image-1.jpg

Egnew now (not in pads)
tempDENX8705--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Let's be clear about what Egnew is and what he wasn't last year.

Egnew is 6'4 or 6'5 and an athletic monster who destroyed the NFL Combine. You are not going to find a better testing TE in the underwear Olympics. Also, Egnew came from Missouri as a fast receiver masquerading as a TE who wasn't ever asked to be a true complete NFL TE until last year.Egnew has displayed good hands. If the light ever comes on for this kid his ceiling is very high. He is very quick and fast with boatloads of explosion.

What Egnew wasn't last year was physical, instinctual, dependable or productive. The kid knew he had to bulk up, and he did, but he wasn't powerful enough and he lost some of his athleticism. He didn't play with leverage and wasn't effective blocking according to coaches. Philbin specifically mentioned his play speed was slow and to me that means he's thinking not instinctively acting and reacting as experienced players tend to do.

My guess is that he tried to be what the Dolphins wanted--a bigger and more complete TE--but didn't accomplish that last season. This off season, hopefully he took the coaching to heart and tried differently and more effectively to become what the Dolphins want him to be.

Let's hope he is making great strides to becoming that player, because it would be a huge benefit to this team to have a guy with potential similar to Jared Cook actually realize that potential.

Balderdash! Hard knocks showed a montage of drops, he cant possibly have good hands or receiving ability :p

Im not saying Egnew will ever be a great TE but I do stick up for him as I dont think its time to give up on him yet, he still has potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom