Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

you got to be assanine to draft egnew expecting him to ever handle primary in line duties...

Seriously, if you take away a TE's blocking duties, then what kind of matchup do you think you have? If the guy cant block, then hes going to get a DB on him every time. If he cant put his hand in the dirt and get some leverage on someone down the line, then we are basically telling the defense we are going to throw the ball every time he is on the field. He will never get that mismatch LB covering him. He will not gain any advantage whatsoever that guys like Gronk get by sneaking down field on an anticipated running play. Its a complete waste to take away a TE blocking...might as well just line him up in the slot as a WR so he can get in space.

Aaron Hernandez blocks plenty, so not sure what you are talking about.

Trust me bro, as a Gator fan, Aaron rarely blocked in college and was/is not that good at it.

When he is used as a blocker, faster TEs can and will be asked to make different blocks then the straight ahead line blocks. Often blocking from being in motion or sealing the edge etc.

It also depends on who he is blocking. You do not put a smaller, faster TE against a DE unless he is hitting him at a angle. On the other hand, a faster TE can cream a safety or corner with a block that a larger 'blocking" TE might not be able to make due to lack of speed.

I do agree that the best combo would be Fasano and Keller. Fasano is a very good blocker and a good pass catcher, but not a "true receiving TE" as we know it. I see Dion sims moving into the Fasano role but for millions less.

Egnew represents a chance to fill a huge void in the Dolphins attack. He can be a red zone threat, a seam threat, and an underneath receiver. We could really use more of all three.

Would I prefer him to be a competent blocker? Hellzyeah!! But what I really want is for him to be a contributor, and if slimming up helps that, then that's what he should do. I'll take the pass catching threat possession receiver version of Egnew over the uncontributing one every time.

But its not just the weight. He isn't playing instinctively yet, and is hesitating to think about everything he does. That is causing him to play much slower than he is capable of playing, and it lowers his concentration.

Whatever he is capable of doing, we haven't seen the best of it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me bro, as a Gator fan, Aaron rarely blocked in college and was/is not that good at it.

Coming out of college, we wasn't a great blocker, but he's 4 years removed from college. Last year he was a decent blocker imo. He's become a more complete TE because his coaching staff has developed his blocking, which is exactly my point with Egnew. And again, the Patriots aren't the measuring stick for Egnew - Hernandez does actually line up in the slot and even at wideout, and sometime in the backfield. Complete different use of a TE in a completely different offense.

aaron hernandez is not a complete te...the pats don't ask him to do more than he's capable of...if they asked him to handle himself in line all the time it wouldn't go well...

don't know where complete te and hernandez come together...what he is however is a mismatch in the passing game and weapon...and the pats get plenty of bang for their buck out of him as just that...he separates in his cuts and is quick twitch for a te...but they use him a lot like an extra wr in some sets...which they should...too big and strong for a safety and too fast and quick for a lb...mismatch weapon

Aaron Hernandez is a slot receiver in the mold of a bigger Percy Harvin. The guy is electric. His explosion is phenomenal, and he has quickness to rival elite CB's but is bigger.

Now that Hernandez has the off-the-field stuff beaten, the only thing standing between him and stardom is injuries. Gronkowski is the only reason Boston media writers aren't writing new Hernandez stories everyday. The kid is a rare talent.

hernandez though doesn't fit every system...there's plenty of teams that would have a hard time fguring out a roll for him in their o and misusing or not getting real bang for thier buck with him...the pats use him to the fullest extent...

but even he wouldn't be quite the mismatch if not for gronk and all the headaches he creates...you can limit hernandez a whole lot more than you can gronk and that's cause you can line up gronk anywhere and he'll beat you...

i'm a little worried about depending on sims frankly to be a solid in line blocking te from the get go...cause there are no other answers in the building for it...not sure what the backup plan is but some things would have to change if a keller or clay or a egnew were asked to do it...most likely we'd sign a plugger on the street would be my guess...

The team is not set up to block well, period. They're set up to pass the ball, or die trying.

Tyson Clabo is a pass protector. Dallas Thomas is a pass protector, if anything. Lance Louis is a pass protector. Jon Martin isn't a run blocker. Dustin Keller doesn't block. Charles Clay doesn't block. Michael Egnew, obvious. Jorvorskie Lane is an overrated lead blocker that has always looked better with the ball in his hands than leading for the guy with the ball in his hands. Even the starting receivers, Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline, are not exactly stout blockers likely to spring ball carriers down the field with their physicality. And don't count on Brandon Gibson for that, either.

This offense has been fully converted into a finesse team. Everything is going to be about the pass and the screen.

Coming out of college, we wasn't a great blocker, but he's 4 years removed from college. Last year he was a decent blocker imo. He's become a more complete TE because his coaching staff has developed his blocking, which is exactly my point with Egnew. And again, the Patriots aren't the measuring stick for Egnew - Hernandez does actually line up in the slot and even at wideout, and sometime in the backfield. Complete different use of a TE in a completely different offense.

This is the first time Ive ever heard of Hernandez being a complete TE. He blocks relatively average - for a wide receiver

so i guess the idea is we're gonna pass to run...kinda like the packers...they never commit to the run...the pass opens up whatever run game they have...interesting philosophy...pats are kinda like that also...they spread you out and threaten you with the pass so much that it open up the run game in single back sets etc...

seems to be a little different than what i've seen of sherman at a & m and here to date but maybe that was all about personnel he had to work with and wanting to do something different but being unable to do so...

so should we expect 50 pass attempts to be the norm already??? hmmmm....

Aaron Hernandez and Dustin Keller do not block well at all.

If you are comparing 2 guys who don't block well, to a guy who doesn't block at all in Egnew, I'll take the two guys who don't block well every time.

We arent debating how well Egnew blocks. We are debating if he blocks at all.

rob gronkowski is a complete te...that's the definition of complete...he can and does do everything

This is the first time Ive ever heard of Hernandez being a complete TE. He blocks relatively average - for a wide receiver

I said he's becoming more complete, and in the absence of Gronk last year, he did pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom