Eric Ebron Declares for the Draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Ebron Declares for the Draft

Rare drop for Ebron. The follow-up catch showed his athleticism and mental toughness. Ebron is my #1 TE.

dropped the ball but did you see the outside quick redirect back inside move to get open on the same play on the vertical route??? yeesh...that's nasty stuff...kind of thing you usually see from the wr position...he's smooth...plays tight end like a wr...damn good prospect

he ran that route like rishard mathews down the seam but at 6 ft 4 and 250 lbs...if that gets out of the top 15 somethings wrong

Ive given up on hoping Jeff Ireland will draft a stud athletic mismatch TE. Ive already prepared myself to watch NE go grab one to fix their TE situation. God I hope its not ASJ from Washington.

dropped the ball but did you see the outside quick redirect back inside move to get open on the same play on the vertical route??? yeesh...that's nasty stuff...kind of thing you usually see from the wr position...he's smooth...plays tight end like a wr...damn good prospect

he ran that route like rishard mathews down the seam but at 6 ft 4 and 250 lbs...if that gets out of the top 15 somethings wrong

He's a mismatch hell because of that, among other things. Living in the RTP area, I've have the benefit to watch him a ton. And I know that if the Dolphins call his name, I'm happy.

The WR look is why I'm not crazy about him, actually. He's not a good player in traffic and against contact, often gets beat fighting for the ball in tight spaces. I get the size/speed appeal, but he's not tough enough in traffic to warrant a #1 pick, imo. Space shrinks in the NFL, and I don't see him dominating tight spaces like a TE has to. I don't think you want him blocking much either. Would have to be pretty creative with him like we are with Clay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that Ebron is such a tremendous athlete, that his practice time was split as a sophomore because he played both sides of the ball. The coaches had him playing DE on defense to rush the passer in addition to playing tight end. There's no way to know this without watching his sophomore tape. This is the first year he's really been able to focus on playing the TE position. He has exceptional upside to tap into once he's practicing his craft everyday for 8 hours a day.... as opposed to the 20 hours per week that college kids are allowed to practice. The best tight ends in the NFL were typically unproductive, inexperienced, injured, and extremely flawed coming out of college. But they were athletic mismatches.

The transition among the TE position from college to the NFL is all about upside. There's very little on film of college TE's nowdays that you can project to the next level. Athletic upside and work ethic are the two most important qualities that I'd look for in a tight end now.

Keep in mind that Ebron is such a tremendous athlete, that his practice time was split as a sophomore because he played both sides of the ball. The coaches had him playing DE on defense to rush the passer in addition to playing tight end. There's no way to know this without watching his sophomore tape. This is the first year he's really been able to focus on playing the TE position. He has exceptional upside to tap into once he's practicing his craft everyday for 8 hours a day.... as opposed to the 20 hours per week that college kids are allowed to practice. The best tight ends in the NFL were typically unproductive, inexperienced, injured, and extremely flawed coming out of college. But they were athletic mismatches.

The transition among the TE position from college to the NFL is all about upside. There's very little on film of college TE's nowdays that you can project to the next level. Athletic upside and work ethic are the two most important qualities that I'd look for in a tight end now.
I hear you on how raw he is, and definitely on how tough it is to get an idea of a college TE nowadays with how offenses play. But Ebron having spent time at DE should, if anything, help out his issue of playing and blocking with more strength. He just doesn't exert his physical presence much for a TE, imo.

He's a finesse guy - albeit a big finesse guy - playing a position that demands some physicality. Our roster needs a guy with some meanness in the blocking game, imo, and Ebron looks like a pretty bad/awful blocker. Do you think Ebron is a much different player from Charles Clay?

I hear you on how raw he is, and definitely on how tough it is to get an idea of a college TE nowadays with how offenses play. But Ebron having spent time at DE should, if anything, help out his issue of playing and blocking with more strength. He just doesn't exert his physical presence much for a TE, imo.

He's a finesse guy - albeit a big finesse guy - playing a position that demands some physicality. Our roster needs a guy with some meanness in the blocking game, imo, and Ebron looks like a pretty bad/awful blocker. Do you think Ebron is a much different player from Charles Clay?

Miami doesn't need a blocking TE. Miami needs a seam threat TE. Ebron is every bit of a seam threat TE.

Blocking comes down to technique. It's about learning leverage and positioning with your feet. It's not about strength for a tight end...or size. Furthermore, his time at DE was spent trying to learn how to rush the passer with a pure speed rush... nothing in terms of leverage/strength.

Secondly, Ebron is an entirely different caliber of athlete than Charles Clay. Clay was a Fullback/H-Back hybrid type player for Tulsa. Ebron is a rocked-up wide receiver. A WR/TE hybrid. Different levels of athleticism and different skillsets.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins is 6'6", 275 pounds and blocks like he's having a pillow fight. Similar to Joe Fauria in last year's draft. However, it's the things that Fauria could do as a pass catcher and mismatch in the redzone that allowed him to make Detroit's roster as a UDFA... and produce 7 TD's as a rookie. There's absolutely no excuse why Fauria should have went undrafted while teams were drafting TE's like D.C. Jefferson (blocker) and Michael Williams (blocker).

Blocking is an aspect that is coached up and developed. You can't coach what kids like Eric Ebron have in terms of athleticism and receiving skill.

I like a good blocking TE that's also an effective pass receiver... they're just an extremely rare find now coming out of college.

Blocking comes down to technique. It's about learning leverage and positioning with your feet. It's not about strength for a tight end...or size. Furthermore, his time at DE was spent trying to learn how to rush the passer with a pure speed rush... nothing in terms of leverage/strength.

Secondly, Ebron is an entirely different caliber of athlete than Charles Clay. Clay was a Fullback/H-Back hybrid type player for Tulsa. Ebron is a rocked-up wide receiver. A WR/TE hybrid. Different levels of athleticism and different skillsets.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins is 6'6", 275 pounds and blocks like he's having a pillow fight. Similar to Joe Fauria in last year's draft. However, it's the things that Fauria could do as a pass catcher and mismatch in the redzone that allowed him to make Detroit's roster as a UDFA... and produce 7 TD's as a rookie. There's absolutely no excuse why Fauria should have went undrafted while teams were drafting TE's like D.C. Jefferson (blocker) and Michael Williams (blocker).

Blocking is an aspect that is coached up and developed. You can't coach what kids like Eric Ebron have in terms of athleticism and receiving skill.

I like a good blocking TE that's also an effective pass receiver... they're just an extremely rare find now coming out of college.

Im in love with this kids size (Sefarian-Jenkins, god i am going to hate writing that name all day) and thinking more of a guy with big catch radius (am I wrong about that?) and bigger red zone threat as opposed to seam threat where Ebron looks more like he would be split out more.

And Egnew is certain proof of coaching up blocking.

It's possible that he's a late round sleeper now since he hasn't played a down all season after being ruled ineligible due to grades. However, he's far from an unknown commodity. I've been watching him his entire career at ECU and took note early of his immense size, soft hands, and athleticism. I actually had him in Tier 1 of my Senior tight end prospects heading into the season. Huge target with legitimate NFL potential.

I'd be cool with it, but I feel like going after Greg Olsen in FA could be an option if we needed a TE and we could use the pick on a LB.

Back
Top Bottom