ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East

Who has been saying this defense is elite? I actually think our D will be top 10, but I actually do kind of agree with him. I think the Bills defense will be vastly improved this year.

"Vastly improved" could mean moving into the top half of the league's defenses, which IMO, would be great for the Bills considering they were in the high 20s, and almost as bad as the Pats in pass defense.

On paper, I'd give the Jets the nod, but I think when they play the games, their statistically rankings will likely falter. I think that they may be pretty good against the run, but teams are going to gouge them in the passing game. Their safeties remain a big liability in the passing game, and there's no guarantee that they'll generate a better pass rush than they did last season. Coples is converting from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB as well as being a rookie.

I'd say, as of today, it's:
Jests
Fins
Bills
Pats

Instead of randomly screaming about how the author is horrible at his job, anyone want to address the 25th ranked pass defense? The holes at safety? Losing Mike Nolan? Switching systems to one our players arent best suited for? No?

Ok, Walker sucks!

The Bills already had the best safety duo in the division. They probably have one of the best defense tackle duo's in the league. They brought in a force of a defensive end. Even if they get even modest results from top 10 picked corner, and another highly drafted corner on the other side, they should have a tough defense. I see no sin by declaring us third.
At the moment, we are NOT a more talented team than we were a year ago. People need to get used to that.

Until Miami is able to create more turnovers our defense can't be considered elite imo...

Defensive Turnovers:

Patriots: 34 (+17 in turnover differential)
Jets: 31 (-3)
Bills: 31 (+1)
Dolphins: 19 (-6)

Instead of randomly screaming about how the author is horrible at his job, anyone want to address the 25th ranked pass defense? The holes at safety? Losing Mike Nolan? Switching systems to one our players arent best suited for? No?

Ok, Walker sucks!

The Bills already had the best safety duo in the division. They probably have one of the best defense tackle duo's in the league. They brought in a force of a defensive end. Even if they get even modest results from top 10 picked corner, and another highly drafted corner on the other side, they should have a tough defense. I see no sin by declaring us third.
At the moment, we are NOT a more talented team than we were a year ago. People need to get used to that.
mike nolan's d in the first 7 games was a major reason we went 0-7 and a major reason why our d was so bad statisically at the end of the season. for ****s and giggles, and I don't give a crap enough to bother, one should toss out those 7 games and see how we did over the final 9 games.

On paper its hard to disagree...Miamis d is far from elite...we can never get a stop in crunch time and have been eatin alive by even good qbs

mike nolan's d in the first 7 games was a major reason we went 0-7 and a major reason why our d was so bad statisically at the end of the season. for ****s and giggles, and I don't give a crap enough to bother, one should toss out those 7 games and see how we did over the final 9 games.

Was there a single redeeming thing we did the first 7 weeks of last season? Even Reggie didnt start taking off until the Giants game.
Blaming a single person(who wasnt even on the field) always amuses me. Especially in light of the fact that Mike Nolan is a superior defensive coach who has had success virtually everywhere he's gone since becoming the Ravens defensive coordinator. The majority of our team came into camp out of shape and unmotivated.

I dont think anyone can honestly say the Bills have a better defense than Miami, even if they added Mario Williams.

One simple stat - Miami was 6th in points allowed, and Buffalo was 30th....and Buffalo had more takeaways.

You can argue we lost Bell, Taylor, Langford, and Nolan....but to say we have slid past a team that was 30th in points allowed is just someone trying to stir the pot.

Was there a single redeeming thing we did the first 7 weeks of last season? Even Reggie didnt start taking off until the Giants game.
Blaming a single person(who wasnt even on the field) always amuses me. Especially in light of the fact that Mike Nolan is a superior defensive coach who has had success virtually everywhere he's gone since becoming the Ravens defensive coordinator. The majority of our team came into camp out of shape and unmotivated.
must be reading comphrehension day. Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, are you saying I placed all the blame on mike nolan? Please show me where I "SOLELY" blamed mike Nolan for the dolphins losing the first 7 games.

First 7 games:

380 yards per game...270 passing / 110 rushing...23.7 PPG

Last 9 games:

317 yards per game...233 passing / 84 rushing...16.3 PPG

To me the big difference comes back to turnovers which puts an end to yards and scoring by opposing offense while setting up our own offense and momentum:

First 7 games = 4 turnovers

Last 9 games = 15 turnovers

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI John Clayton reported late last season that Mike Nolan lost his play calling duties and/or game planning halfway through the season to Todd Bowles. Not sure if its true but it does make sense.

I also believe that Mike Nolan underachieved with the players we had on defense. Its not all his fault, but he needs to be held accountable.

must be reading comphrehension day. Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, are you saying I placed all the blame on mike nolan? Please show me where I "SOLELY" blamed mike Nolan for the dolphins losing the first 7 games.

Never stated soley, but you specified "Mike Nolan's defense" as a major reason why we lost.

I also suppose my point was more general as we always have threads pop up screaming "Karlos Dansby cost us the season!", "good thing Marshall is gone, he lost us countless games!", "we shouldnt resign Wake, he lost us games by not getting enough pressure!", "we should trade Long, elite LT's dont win games!", etc, etc, etc. You pointed out Nolan as a major reason, i pointed out our entire team sucked.

FYI John Clayton reported late last season that Mike Nolan lost his play calling duties and/or game planning halfway through the season to Todd Bowles. Not sure if its true but it does make sense.

I also believe that Mike Nolan underachieved with the players we had on defense. Its not all his fault, but he needs to be held accountable.

Oh man, if thats true that is absolutely hilarious. Anyone remember the reason why we got Nolan in the first place? Because after starting out undefeated Josh McDaniels demanded that Nolan stop calling blitzes, so after their off week they "played it more safe". Directly related: they lost the next 8 out of 10 games. After the season they both decided it wasnt working.

Back
Top Bottom