ESPN's Comments about Urban Meyer--PERFECT. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Comments about Urban Meyer--PERFECT.

OSUDauby said:
Riiiiggghhhtt....that would SOLVE so much. Putting a team like Wake Forrest, ACC Champ in front of teams like Wisconsin, Boise State, etc...
that's the only way a playoff will happen.

i am in favor of making it important to win your conference in a playoff structure.

i imagine an 8-team playoff would be a lot like the BCS is setup now. win your conference, you're in. if you're not in a BCS conference but you finish in the top 8, you're in.

OSUDauby said:
Riiiiggghhhtt....that would SOLVE so much. Putting a team like Wake Forrest, ACC Champ in front of teams like Wisconsin, Boise State, etc...
Well, Wake did beat two ranked teams :wink:

16 team playoff. Every conference winner gets in, and use BCS formula to determine the at large bids.

Stitches said:
16 team playoff. Every conference winner gets in, and use BCS formula to determine the at large bids.

Thats too many IMO. Top 8 would be perfect.

Motion said:
Thats too many IMO. Top 8 would be perfect.

Well only 8 or 16 team playoffs would work. And Top 8 works great if you are in a BCS conference. But just like NCAA basketball, you give the little guys a chance sometimes, and they come out on top.

Stitches said:
Well only 8 or 16 team playoffs would work. And Top 8 works great if you are in a BCS conference. But just like NCAA basketball, you give the little guys a chance sometimes, and they come out on top.

True, but you also have to give them something to play for during the regular season. If your gonna tell me that all I have to do for a shot at the NC is finish in the top 16 by the end of the season thats not very "elite" company IMO.

Motion said:
True, but you also have to give them something to play for during the regular season. If your gonna tell me that all I have to do for a shot at the NC is finish in the top 16 by the end of the season thats not very "elite" company IMO.

I'd be fine with 12, like Finkat said.

And what I was suggesting was actually worse than finishing in the top 16. Each conference winner is in, then the next highest ranked(like using the BCS formula) teams fill in the at large spots. And it may not be elite company, but the "elite" teams should have no problem handling thier opponents, if they are actually "elite."

OSUDauby said:
In a article about Michigan getting robbed of a shot in the National Championship game, it brought up this GREAT paragraph apparently mocking the whiner, Urban Meyer:

"Does anyone see the irony of Meyer successfully lobbying about the unfairness of an OSU-Michigan rematch, when the only national championship trophy in his program's history came courtesy of a rematch in 1996 after a regular-season loss to Florida State?
Let's see, what was the score back then? Oh, Florida State 24, Florida 21.
And about five weeks later in the Sugar Bowl it was Florida 52, Florida State 20.
Yeah, Urban.
You're right.
Rematches are so unfair."

Does it get any better than that when the largest media outlet calls out a prominent figure for acting like a child??:lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2688353

Considering that Urban Meyer wasn't at the University of Florida in 1996 and received no benefit from the Gators winning that game, I would say the author of these words, as well as the original poster, doesn't understand the meaning of the word "irony."

OSUDauby said:
Man, good point! Too bad last time I checked SOS was not in the equation for the BCS. And thankfully for the Gators, margin of victory was taken out of it already too. I guess those close games with crappy teams would have "chomped" the Gators...I.E.-Vandy, South Carolina, FSU, etc...

But according to Get Up and Go, South Carolina is a AWESOME, quality team. If the general thought of SEC people is that South Carolina is good/quality you are in even more trouble than you know when you face THE Ohio State University.:fire:

Your knowledge of college football is embarassing. Most if not all of the computers use strength of schedule, and they count for 1/3 of the BCS collectively.

Crowder52 said:
Your knowledge of college football is embarassing. Most if not all of the computers use strength of schedule, and they count for 1/3 of the BCS collectively.

SoS is also a factor in determing where teams rank in the human polls. If not, Boise State would have been number 2 or so.

Motion said:

I agree that only an 8 team playoff would really work, But not for the same reason as you. I think that a 16 game playoff would take away alot of rival games. However i think we all agree that a playoff would be the way to go and give alot of people a real chance at a national title game and SOS would not matter unless its about getting to the TOP 8

Back
Top Bottom