ESPN's Comments about Urban Meyer--PERFECT. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Comments about Urban Meyer--PERFECT.

Timmy54 said:
no dauby found an article trying to stir up trouble. really?? i would have never guessed.

ok, again for those who were not paying attention. The computers had Michigan and UF tied for #2, UF had the #1 SOS, UF won their conference (UM finished second, can a team really finish #2 in a conference and #1 in the country?? I dont think so either), and the gators got the advanatage of playing last so the entire nation watched them win the SEC. The voters, both the harris poll, AP (which is not part of the BCS) and the coaches all voted UF #2. Michigan didnt win any of the polls to have a chance to stay at #2 and go to the NC game. Point blank. Also, if you think Meyer really had that much influence, then you should vote him president in 2008. I never heared him bash UM, just saying the gators have a more impressive resume and UM had their chance.
:clap::clap:

Timmy54 said:
no dauby found an article trying to stir up trouble. really?? i would have never guessed.

ok, again for those who were not paying attention. The computers had Michigan and UF tied for #2, UF had the #1 SOS, UF won their conference (UM finished second, can a team really finish #2 in a conference and #1 in the country?? I dont think so either), and the gators got the advanatage of playing last so the entire nation watched them win the SEC. The voters, both the harris poll, AP (which is not part of the BCS) and the coaches all voted UF #2. Michigan didnt win any of the polls to have a chance to stay at #2 and go to the NC game. Point blank. Also, if you think Meyer really had that much influence, then you should vote him president in 2008. I never heared him bash UM, just saying the gators have a more impressive resume and UM had their chance.

Man, good point! Too bad last time I checked SOS was not in the equation for the BCS. And thankfully for the Gators, margin of victory was taken out of it already too. I guess those close games with crappy teams would have "chomped" the Gators...I.E.-Vandy, South Carolina, FSU, etc...

But according to Get Up and Go, South Carolina is a AWESOME, quality team. If the general thought of SEC people is that South Carolina is good/quality you are in even more trouble than you know when you face THE Ohio State University.:fire:

Timmy54 said:

I think that's a valid point if it's brought up about Oklahoma a few years ago who lost to Kansas State who was not # 1. OSU is #1 in the country and I don't think finishing behind a team that is ranked #1 should matter in this scenario.

A playoff won't work either if people want that. It'll bring in as much controversy as the BCS because teams will be claiming they belong in. It wouldn't be the 8 best teams or so because every conference is going to want a piece of the $. So Wake Forest gets in under a proposed playoff. I don't think anyone believes they're even close to being one of the top 8 teams in the country but they'd get in. Also if the current BCS rules that only 2 teams per conference would get in than a team like Wisconsin or even Auburn or Arkansas doesn't get in.

I've heard the plus 1 scenario where the top 4 teams play each other to figure out the championship. This year it'd be OSU vs LSU and UM vs UF than the winners play. This wouldn't work either IMO because USC has just as much claim for being a 2 loss team as LSU and Louisville can argue that they deserve in.

The BCS doesn't work but anyother system put in place probably wouldn't work either because a team is going to have an arguement that they deserve to be in. Last year was a rare year in which the best two teams in the country played but a playoff would bring just as much controversy.

djfresh47 said:
I think that's a valid point if it's brought up about Oklahoma a few years ago who lost to Kansas State who was not # 1. OSU is #1 in the country and I don't think finishing behind a team that is ranked #1 should matter in this scenario.

A playoff won't work either if people want that. It'll bring in as much controversy as the BCS because teams will be claiming they belong in. It wouldn't be the 8 best teams or so because every conference is going to want a piece of the $. So Wake Forest gets in under a proposed playoff. I don't think anyone believes they're even close to being one of the top 8 teams in the country but they'd get in. Also if the current BCS rules that only 2 teams per conference would get in than a team like Wisconsin or even Auburn or Arkansas doesn't get in.

I've heard the plus 1 scenario where the top 4 teams play each other to figure out the championship. This year it'd be OSU vs LSU and UM vs UF than the winners play. This wouldn't work either IMO because USC has just as much claim for being a 2 loss team as LSU and Louisville can argue that they deserve in.

The BCS doesn't work but anyother system put in place probably wouldn't work either because a team is going to have an arguement that they deserve to be in. Last year was a rare year in which the best two teams in the country played but a playoff would bring just as much controversy.
I don't agree with that part at all. USC lost to two unranked teams, one of those games being at home.
LSU lost to two highly ranked teams on the road.
That's really easy distinction IMO.

I do agree that no playoff system would be with disgruntled teams, but even a +1 would further decrease the margin for error by eliminating some ambiguity.

finswin56 said:
I don't agree with that part at all. USC lost to two unranked teams, one of those games being at home.

I do agree that no playoff system would be with disgruntled teams, but even a +1 would further decrease the margin for error by eliminating some ambiguity.

Yeah but teams are still going to have an arguement. Also say a scenario like last year plays out than people are yelling that the BCS should be reinstated because two major conference teams went undefeated. Also I think the +1 system makes the regular season less meaningful. I don't want to see any 2 loss team have a chance at the championship. People talk of a playoff system as if it has no flaws but the holes in it are just as big as the BCS. Also this year seeing that the top 4 teams in that scenario are from 2 conferences I think other conferences would have a problem with that. Not saying they wouldn't deserve to be there, just that other conferences would complain.

OSUDauby said:
Man, good point! Too bad last time I checked SOS was not in the equation for the BCS. And thankfully for the Gators, margin of victory was taken out of it already too. I guess those close games with crappy teams would have "chomped" the Gators...I.E.-Vandy, South Carolina, FSU, etc...

But according to Get Up and Go, South Carolina is a AWESOME, quality team. If the general thought of SEC people is that South Carolina is good/quality you are in even more trouble than you know when you face THE Ohio State University.:fire:

South Carolina is better than Ball St. Playing in a close game means nothing.

This idea that Meyer crying got them into the BCS champ game is ridiculous. He said what any coach would say when asked the question, people need to get over it. He hasnt reached Mack Browns level yet.

finswin56 said:

Quick correction, neither USC loss was at home.

OSUDauby said:

I would take South Carolina over Illinois...Oh wait what happended when you played them.....talk about things getting tight!!!!

DonShula84 said:
South Carolina is better than Ball St. Playing in a close game means nothing.

This idea that Meyer crying got them into the BCS champ game is ridiculous. He said what any coach would say when asked the question, people need to get over it. He hasnt reached Mack Browns level yet.

:yeahthat: This is also from a ND guy and not a SEC homer!!

Timmy54 said:
I would take South Carolina over Illinois...Oh wait what happended when you played them.....talk about things getting tight!!!!

Yeah, that's how I know they are better than South Carolina....
Ok, I'll prove it...follow me here.
Illinois lost to Ohio State by 7 points.
Florida beat South Carolina.....BARELY.
Ohio State will DESTROY Florida.
Illinois would beat down South Carolina.

Juice Williams of Illinois would beat S.C. alone.

OSUDauby said:

Great logic

OSUDauby said:

you keep telling yourself that. All teams have a game or two that is close, we still pulled out the win, and SC did also scare Tenn and Georgia, they are just young and need to learn how to finish.

Back
Top Bottom