Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

Charles Clay, Lamar Miller, and Mike Wallace were MORE productive in Miami. Matthews production is unchanged from is last season in Miami. Incognito was not cut for performance reasons and was their best OL. Of the players you list, only Wallace was cut for performance on the field and NONE of them were better after leaving Miami. Miami wanted to keep Clay, Miller, and Matthews.

So again, where is the list of players that Tannehill held back? For years we heard that the sacks were Tannehill's fault. Where is the list of former OL players that are successful elsewhere?

You simply will not be able to do it. Fail.

The WRs that played with elite QBs, Wallace and Stills looked elite with Big Ben and Brees. When those same WRs played with Tannehill level QBs they looked the same as they did with Tannehill. Our own o-line is 10th in football outsiders adjusted sack rate, it was ranked 21st last season. Cutler is ranked 25th according to Football Outsiders DYAR, exact same ranking Tannehill had last season.

Here's I'll type this slowly for you

2012 = 1
2013 = 2
2014 = 3
2015 = 4
(don't bogart that wacky weed!)

2015 = 8-5, with a 7-1 run with 4th ranked long ball in the league and over that last stretch a 100QBR, 70% completion rate and 13 TDs to 4 Ints

So I count 4 years to arrive: for a spread formation QB with 13 college games and coached by Mike Sherman in college and mentored by Zach ****ing Taylor in the pros

I'd rather not hijack a thread because you don't seem to know how to count. He PLAYED 2016 which is when he went 8-5 and got injured. 2016 was 5TH season. He missed his 6TH season which is this year. 2018 will be his 7th.

Do you need me to type it slower? If you want I can come over once a week and I'll teach you to count to 10.

Firsts he had to prove he could improve his QBR, then improve his YPA, then prove he could lead a team to the playoffs, then prove it wasn't a fluke then prove the proof wasn't a fluke, then prove the proof of the proof wasn't a fluke and on and on and on and on.....

Something gave last season. Give him just decent coaching and a decent supporting cast and he is a playoff QB. Or, they could swap QBs and keep the revolving door at HC, OC, OL, TE, RB, WR, LB, DL, CB, and S,

I'm at a loss at how anyone can look and this roster and come to the conclusion that it is a consistent playoff caliber team that simply needs a QB. They are what they are. A team with bottom third of the league talent that requires good fortune to compete for a playoff spot.
LMAO when I read this, Let's give him a decent supporting cast and see what happens....can't even remember what I was going to say laughing so hard.

first bold- while bill b is a very good coach, fact of that matter is that he never won anything without tom brady. i am not even talking about superbowls, his record as a head coach before brady came along was 42-58. 6 plus seasons worth of games, very big sample size. To be fair though, every coach needs a top notch qb to win consisently in the nfl, and he has done that once brady came along, so no taking that away from him.

Again, correlation vs. causation. All that proves is that Brady IS an important part of the equation. BB has won with his system with backup QBs, that at least for the one with a year long track record with another team, didn't measure up outside of the system. It's not enough data to make a conclusive claim, but it sure points to the fact that it's more than just Brady. Arron Rodgers is freaken magical and in many ways the only reason GB is a threat year in and year out. But when the weapons aren't there, neither is GB. Oh sure, everyone waits for the series or two where Rodgers works his magic and then pick their chins off the floor, but the game is 60 minutes and a series or two can sneak a win here or there, but to win in the playoffs takes a whole'ish team.

second bold- well if there are many elite qbs in the nfl, obviously only 1 team can be superbowl champions each year, so there will always be elite qbs who dont win each year. the point was that the op had said that qbs dont carry teams on there back, and my point was thats just not true, as there have been plenty of top qbs who have carried there teams for years, and that make a substantial impact on the teams success when they are there.

Now there is a dance. Your theory is that ALL that matters is an elite QB. But if you look at the QBs that have won in the past decade, we have an unbelievably diminished Payton Manning, Russell Wilson (while very good, hasn't been able to carry his team once his defense wasn't all world elite and ML decided to visit the beach), Joe Flacco who is also very good but not elite and only won when he had a fluke year where he played Elite, Eli Manning who isn't elite but played lights out and well above his norm in post season, etc.

third bold- yes, big ben no doubt has 2 other elite guys alongside him, but is antonio brown and leveon bell having the monster years they have year in and year out without big ben, and say they had joe flacco or alex smith as there qb instead? highly doubt it. So yea, he deff has talent around him, no denying that, but he also gets the best out of them , and has done it before bell and brown were around.

With Ben, you have a QB who can make all the throws and evade a lot of pressure, so it does make his Wides look better. But on the flip side, would all that running around and risking getting hurt make as much of a difference if Antonio wasn't such a threat and keeping the defense half way down the field and away from Ben and is open? And how much of Ben having time to throw because the defense is being forced to play extremely disciplined in order to try and keep Le'eon under control?

Denver proved with Payton that you can win with a damned smart QB, who doesn't make mistakes, and knows how to use his weapons rather than the gunslinger who tries to "put it all on his back" -- oh, and a dominant defense sure helps to cover up mistakes from those limitations along the way. That doesn't mean that having a QB with more physical tools isn't a bad idea or that it doesn't make up for other team short comings -- watch almost any Arron Rodgers game and enjoy. To flip the argument another way, we had Marino and Shula in their primes -- and where are OUR super bowl trophies?

I'd rather not hijack a thread because you don't seem to know how to count. He PLAYED 2016 which is when he went 8-5 and got injured. 2016 was 5TH season. He missed his 6TH season which is this year. 2018 will be his 7th.

Do you need me to type it slower? If you want I can come over once a week and I'll teach you to count to 10.

yes and if comprehension wasn't so challenging you would see that he put up more than sufficient numbers to confirm that he (finally, if that pleases you) arrived. But let guess, according to you, the Holocaust never happened either, eh?

You can collect your consolation prize at the door... but thanks for playing

ur right, its just a pure coincidence that every year tom brady has played a full season, with the exception of 2002, where they won 9 games, the patriots have won double digits every year, made the playoffs yearly, and we all know the rest. im sure your counter argument will be '' bill bellicheck'', only problem is, before tom brady every took a snap under bill, his career record as a head coach was 42-58, with 1 playoff appearance, and 1 playoff win. bellicheck never won a damn thing without tom brady .

peyton manning all those years with the colts, same thing, double digit wins yearly, playoffs yearly, etc

big ben always has the steelers in contention

aaron rodgers always has the packers in contention, and its not because he has a great team or coaching staff around him

im sure the eagles will always be in contention if wentz stays healthy, as will the texans if watson can stay healthy

andrew luck when hes healthy on an awful team has took them to the playoffs several times in his career, including an afc championship game

again, u want to have your cake and eat it too, that is why u try to downplay the importance of the qb, and act as if its just as the right guard position, or the tight end position etc, so that when tannehill is mediocre like always, u can say that qb dont put team on there backs, but if he has a stretch where he plays elite football, u will be here saying look how tannehill is carrying this team.

LOL. Take 3 HOF QBs that play on 3 well coached, stable organizations and say SEE ITS ONLY THE QB. Just ignore the fact that the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt F**KING Cassel.

Also ignore the up and down success of Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Eli Manning, Bortles, Kaepernick, Dalton, Winston, Mariota, Cousins, Luck, Stafford....

The WRs that played with elite QBs, Wallace and Stills looked elite with Big Ben and Brees. When those same WRs played with Tannehill level QBs they looked the same as they did with Tannehill. Our own o-line is 10th in football outsiders adjusted sack rate, it was ranked 21st last season. Cutler is ranked 25th according to Football Outsiders DYAR, exact same ranking Tannehill had last season.

LOL at Wallace and Stills looking elite. Stills career best in TDs was with TANNEHILL NOT BREES. His numbers with Tannehill are every bit as good as they were with a HOF QB. Wallace's career best in TDs was the same with TANNEHILL as ROETHLISBERGER. Wallace was a 1 trick pony in Pitt and the Dolphins got snookered into paying him like a true #1 and got burned. As he became a focal point of the offense, his numbers dropped off in Pitt and IMPROVED in Miami. Problem was that he wasn't worth the $ they payed him and he was a head case.

Last edited:
So manning took a 6-10 team and made them 10-6. Tannehill took a team that 5 years prior to him averaged 6.4 wins and over 5 years has averaged 7.8 and thats being generous and crediting him for 10 wins in 2016. So he is good for 1.4 more wins.

Are you implying that the QB is the only significant change over all those seasons? WTF?

yes and if comprehension wasn't so challenging you would see that he put up more than sufficient numbers to confirm that he (finally, if that pleases you) arrived. But let guess, according to you, the Holocaust never happened either, eh?

see, this is where we can agree to disagree. he did the same thing in 2013, we thought we had our qb, u know we were able to get to 8-6 and need just 1 win in the final 2 games vs 2 horrible teams, and he choked. u make it seem like what tannehill did last year was something special we have not seen from a qb before. that is who tannehill is, he has stretches of really bad games, and really good games, which usually equates to no better than an 8-8 record by years end for the team.

we were 8-5 last year when he stopped playing, winning any of those 3 remaining games was no guarantee based on his track record. maybe we win all 3 if he plays, maybe we lose all 3, will never know.

Real classy of you to accuse someone who you do not even know not believing the holocaust happened, considering i had relatives killed. i also think 9/11 was an inside job and sandy hook as well i guess in ur words.

see, this is where we can agree to disagree. he did the same thing in 2013, we thought we had our qb, u know we were able to get to 8-6 and need just 1 win in the final 2 games vs 2 horrible teams, and he choked.

How horrible for a 2nd year QB to not overcome SEVEN SACKS allowed by a total crap OL. Especially with the total support of the stellar running game - 12 carries for 14 yards. WTF.......

And who can forget our sophisticated offense? GO, GO-GO. Jesus, you can't make this **** up.

I'm done with this nonsense. IMO, Tannehill is a top 10-15 QB that is plenty good enough to win with. He has a stellar record playing behind an OL that is even decent. I have no doubt that he returns next season and picks up right where he left off in 2016.

Last edited:

Hahaha is the prize some kind of Math learning program...i think i'll let you have it.

But I thought according to you playing against weak competition makes your wins not count as much. I mean he won against 1-15 Brown, 2-14 49ers, 4-12 Rams, 5-11 Chargers, 5-11 Jets, 7-9 Bills, 7-8-1, Cardinals and 11-5 Steelers...does that equal to only 6 real wins, you never really explained it.

LOL at Wallace and Stills looking elite. Stills career best in TDs was with TANNEHILL NOT BREES. His numbers with Tannehill are every bit as good as they were with a HOF QB. Wallace's career best in TDs was the same with TANNEHILL as ROETHLISBERGER. Wallace was a 1 trick pony in Pitt and the Dolphins got snookered into paying him like a true #1 and got burned. As he became a focal point of the offense, his numbers dropped off in Pitt and IMPROVED in Miami. Problem was that he wasn't worth the $ they payed him and he was a head case.

Ohhhhh, TDs are the end all, be all. How come Landry had his best season by far with Cutler then? Almost TWICE as good as any with Tannehill!!

Back
Top Bottom