Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

I honestly have nothing against Tannehill, I was a staunch supporter of his for the first 4 years of his career, But after 5+ years something’s gotta give. I’m all for giving him next year to prove 2016 wasn’t a fluke, because I really like the guy and want him to succeed. But all in all there at least needs to be a plan B and that plan B isn’t on this team yet.

Firsts he had to prove he could improve his QBR, then improve his YPA, then prove he could lead a team to the playoffs, then prove it wasn't a fluke then prove the proof wasn't a fluke, then prove the proof of the proof wasn't a fluke and on and on and on and on.....

Something gave last season. Give him just decent coaching and a decent supporting cast and he is a playoff QB. Or, they could swap QBs and keep the revolving door at HC, OC, OL, TE, RB, WR, LB, DL, CB, and S,

I'm at a loss at how anyone can look and this roster and come to the conclusion that it is a consistent playoff caliber team that simply needs a QB. They are what they are. A team with bottom third of the league talent that requires good fortune to compete for a playoff spot.

Tannehill sure got a lot better not playing. then when he plays. Hell, if he sits out a few more years, he will be in the ring of honor next to Marino.
He actually may have gotten better by not playing, if he was paying attention to what not to do if watching cutler suck it up

Yeah people conveniently forget that he was raw coming in and was supposed to sit his rookie season given his lack of college starts. Fact of the matter he's now a much better QB than his rookie or second year and is still trending upwards however it'd be foolish not to draft competition/a successor should he regress or the knee still be problematic.

We swept the Bills last year because Jay Ajayi had two historically great performances. Not even Cutler could screw that up lmao

We swept the Bills because they were the better team (Tannehill > Culter) (Moore > Fales). Cutler and Fales had the chance at the end of the game to win it. Both threw INTs.

Here are all of Ajayi's plays on the two scoring drives that resulted in the come from behind victory:

4 7:45 1 10 MIA 36 Jay Ajayi right end for no gain (tackle by Zach Brown). Penalty on Jerry Hughes: Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards (no play) 17 14 1.330 2.320 41.8
4 7:17 1 10 BUF 49 Jay Ajayi left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Kyle Williams) 17 14 2.320 2.050 39.5
4 6:51 2 8 BUF 47 Jay Ajayi right guard for 1 yard (tackle by Zach Brown) 17 14 2.050 1.490 34.7
4 5:19 1 10 BUF 28 Jay Ajayi right guard for 14 yards (tackle by Corey Graham) 17 14 3.710 4.650 55.6
4 2:40 2 8 MIA 32 Jay Ajayi left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Lorenzo Alexander) 17 21 0.660 0.230 99.9

Not exactly earth shattering in crunch time.

Last edited:
Yeah people conveniently forget that he was raw coming in and was supposed to sit his rookie season given his lack of college starts. Fact of the matter he's now a much better QB than his rookie or second year and is still trending upwards however it'd be foolish not to draft competition/a successor should he regress or the knee still be problematic.

The idea that they are going to draft competition or a successor without using a high pick is wishful thinking. They are going to ride with Tannehill until it is clear that the end is near just like every other team in the league does. This team has far too many holes to spend early picks on players they hope never see the field.

All with the clueless Failbin at HC and the league's worst OL. The math adds up fine.

Lol the lengths you will go to put the cape on for a player who hasn’t sniffed an all pro selection, much less a pro bowl is pretty remarkable.

You can conjur up these same scapegoats for many other mediocre QB’s, that doesn’t make them any less mediocre.

Why do you want to spin the wheel again with mediocrity? Why don’t you want a higher upside for this team? Do you want to see this team compete in conference championships and Super Bowls ever? You’re dug so deep in your position that Ryan Tannehill is some hard to replace commodity and it’s quite comical. I promise you we can do 37-40 over 5 years with another guy. I promise lol.

Lol the lengths you will go to put the cape on for a player who hasn’t sniffed an all pro selection, much less a pro bowl is pretty remarkable.

You can conjur up these same scapegoats for many other mediocre QB’s, that doesn’t make them any less mediocre.

Why do you want to spin the wheel again with mediocrity? Why don’t you want a higher upside for this team? Do you want to see this team compete in conference championships and Super Bowls ever? You’re dug so deep in your position that Ryan Tannehill is some hard to replace commodity and it’s quite comical. I promise you we can do 37-40 over 5 years with another guy. I promise lol.

Here is a very simple challenge for you. You like to pretend that the problem with the Dolphins stems from the QB. They have cycled through a ton of players and coaches since Tannehill got to the team in 2012. My contention is that the TEAM hasn't been good enough. If I am wrong, then clearly the cycling through players and coaches has been done in vain and there are a multitude of former Dolphins players and coaches thriving throughout the league.

Kindly make a list.

Believe what you want. Tannehill will be back as the starter next season and probably 5 more after that. Get used to the idea or find another team.
why would i find another team, ive been a dolphin fan my whole life. i understand that tannehill will be back next year, does not mean that i can have my issues with a team that ive loved way before tannehill was here, and will long after tannehill is gone.

LOL. Keep going back to his second year in the league on a team devoid of talent and coaching with the league's worst OL, receivers, HC, OC, etc.
see, this is exactly what u do to make your case for tannehill. u try to diminish all the people around him, making them out to be the worst at there positions the nfl has ever seen, so that if he plays well, it shows how awesome he is that he does it in-spite of all the ineptitude around him, but when he plays poorly, you can fallback on how awful everything is around him as being that reason for his poor play. its a win win for you.

look around the nfl at some team this year.

mike mccarthy looks fine when aaron rodgers is there, but when hes not there, his teams looks awful.

kyle shannhan starts 1-10, his offense looks abysmal, etc, and bang, they get a qb, and there offense all the sudden looks like one of the more potent ones in the nfl.

a qb has a major impact on a team, so for u to act like everyone was/is holding tannehill back when he stinks, maybe the reality that u should accept, and hopefully miami will very soon, is that he is a mediocre qb, and unless everything is totally perfect around him, the team is going nowhere special with him, unless u consider hovering around the 6-8 wins yearly as special.

see, this is exactly what u do to make your case for tannehill. u try to diminish all the people around him, making them out to be the worst at there positions the nfl has ever seen, so that if he plays well, it shows how awesome he is that he does it in-spite of all the ineptitude around him, but when he plays poorly, you can fallback on how awful everything is around him as being that reason for his poor play. its a win win for you.

look around the nfl at some team this year.

mike mccarthy looks fine when aaron rodgers is there, but when hes not there, his teams looks awful.

kyle shannhan starts 1-10, his offense looks abysmal, etc, and bang, they get a qb, and there offense all the sudden looks like one of the more potent ones in the nfl.

a qb has a major impact on a team, so for u to act like everyone was/is holding tannehill back when he stinks, maybe the reality that u should accept, and hopefully miami will very soon, is that he is a mediocre qb, and unless everything is totally perfect around him, the team is going nowhere special with him, unless u consider hovering around the 6-8 wins yearly as special.

I posted a challenge in another post. Take it on. Make the list.

Here is a very simple challenge for you. You like to pretend that the problem with the Dolphins stems from the QB. They have cycled through a ton of players and coaches since Tannehill got to the team in 2012. My contention is that the TEAM hasn't been good enough. If I am wrong, then clearly the cycling through players and coaches has been done in vain and there are a multitude of former Dolphins players and coaches thriving throughout the league.

Kindly make a list.

You realize you can play these same mental gymnastics with guys like Chad Henne and Jay Cutler and their careers, and it wouldn’t make them any less mediocre? Lol

The team is never going to be good enough if you have a mediocre qb. Your ceiling is capped right off the bat.

You realize you can play these same mental gymnastics with guys like Chad Henne and Jay Cutler and their careers, and it wouldn’t make them any less mediocre? Lol

The team is never going to be good enough if you have a mediocre qb. Your ceiling is capped right off the bat.

So, no to the challenge? What a surprise.

So, no to the challenge? What a surprise.

Charles Clay, Mike Wallace, Richie Incognito, Rishard Matthews, Lamar Miller.

All have been relatively productive since departing off the top of my head. You act like that was gonna be hard lol

How many Pro Bowl and all pros selections has Ryan Tannehill garnered since those players have departed? Since they were holding him back so much? Lmao

Last edited:
Charles Clay, Mike Wallace, Richie Incognito, Rishard Matthews, Lamar Miller.

All have been relatively productive since departing off the top of my head. You act like that was hard lol

How many Pro Bowl and all pros selections has Ryan Tannehill made since those players have departed? Since they were holding him back so much? Lmao

Charles Clay, Lamar Miller, and Mike Wallace were MORE productive in Miami. Matthews production is unchanged from is last season in Miami. Incognito was not cut for performance reasons and was their best OL. Of the players you list, only Wallace was cut for performance on the field and NONE of them were better after leaving Miami. Miami wanted to keep Clay, Miller, and Matthews.

So again, where is the list of players that Tannehill held back? For years we heard that the sacks were Tannehill's fault. Where is the list of former OL players that are successful elsewhere?

You simply will not be able to do it. Fail.

I’m not arguing from a position of Tannehill holding anyone back. You have always argued that he has been held back by the team.

Philhin, Sherman, Lazor, Oline, skill players. This list goes on with the scapegoats.

My position is Ryan Tannehill doesn’t move the needle either way.

Tannehill is gonna have you a 6-8 win team, with a 1 and done postseason outlier thrown in there 1 every few years due to a soft schedule. Why are you so hellbent on settling for this? I have no earthy idea.

Why hasn’t Ryan Tannehill made a pro bowl, or earned an all pro selection? You would think a first round prospect would’ve managed to to do that at least once in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom