Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

I actually prefer RT and a rookie. The worst thing is RT gets pushed like Alex Smith. But....there is the need for a QB if he gets hurt and eventually a take over as RT is no more than a mediocre qb

Tannehill has never had a legit QB competion. Was pretty much just handed the job without earning it. I wonder how he react if Miami drafted a QB in round 1 or 2.

Keep in mind that everytime you spend valuable resources on a potential upgrade and fail, you have also missed out on an upgrade elsewhere...
In addition, it often involves modifications to the scheme and supporting cast to work the the strengths of the new QB. It ends up in a giant reboot of the offense.

But but but his o-line sucks we can't win.....I never said if you have a top 5 QB playoffs are GUARANTEED but way to make up rhetoric because you had no real argument towards my post. I'll take this as you knowing your wrong.

My bad, I confused you with a different poster who made the claim that having a top 5 QB makes a team "incredibly more competitive in making the playoffs every year."

You and I can just agree to disagree. You don't think Tannehill is good enough. I do. We'll see.

I actually prefer RT and a rookie. The worst thing is RT gets pushed like Alex Smith. But....there is the need for a QB if he gets hurt and eventually a take over as RT is no more than a mediocre qb

That rookie is not going to come in the first round.

You know me JDW, I have been in wars regarding Ryan and some negativity I had for him . . . but anybody watching 2016 saw that man improve in phases that always bothered me and I'm not gonna sit back here and continue an argument when I see this kid playing smart football, continuing to grow and making the type of throws he made.

Sure the pocket presence can always get better but mobility, ball placement, arm talent in general, throwing on the run, ability to read defenses, leadership . . . it is there . . . there is no way you give up on that now. You surround all that with a better oline and this above average skill group we have and you see what you have. If it fails it fails but I have no interest in investing what could be a vital piece on defense or this offensive line in to a competition for Ryan Tannehill.

Always the man of reason brother, even when we had these exchanges in the past, I commend you for alwyas being open minded and fair

I don’t think anyone (I probably shouldn’t say that) can argue Ryan was on an upswing prior to the injury- why wouldn’t anyone want to see that through?

Your draft position this year is 11, unless you have CRAZY
conviction on a trade up (huge resources) the FO is seeing this through.

Miami main problem is they need better qb first. 2nd they need upgrade offense line w better og. third they need faster lb. this team is not as bad as we think it is. we have avg 7 win last 10 yr. we have some hole but every team does.
Only four quarterbacks make the pro bowl a year.
People need to move on from this scenario.

fair enough. imo, we saw his best football in 2016 and it was sustained for long enough to show it wasn't a fluke
I was thinking about this "above average" is obviously a subjective term, but even still, I think unfair to Tannehill to say that. He's a decent, not great, QB, in my opinion - based on what we've seen. Do I think he has the potential to get better? Absolutely. Do I think he definitely will, not definitely, but hopefully he will. I do hope you're right, and he does sustain what he showed at times in 2016, for longer. And I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

And therein lies one of the most infuriating things about the Dolphins - every year, some facet or other gives us cause to be optimistic. And nearly every year, they find a way to show us why we're stupid to be optimistic.

If u go draft qb. You need go get one u want. Stop playing games...if not keep thill17 and continue going 8-8..short term
Only four quarterbacks make the pro bowl a year.
People need to move on from this scenario.
thill17 is only qb that have started last 4 yr. that have never been to probowl. or top 100. his peer group do nt think he is good. I am not hear talk bad about thill17 every yr. I just want fan to be real on here about our qb. what is 8 game. he did not win all them game last yr. he help beat 49ers and rams. the rest of game somebody else one.

Last edited:
If u go draft qb. You need go get one u want. Stop playing games...if not keep thill17 and continue going 8-8..short term
thill17 is only qb that have started last 4 yr. that have never been to probowl. or top 100. his peer group do nt think he is good.
What?

Plenty of qb’s don’t make the top 100 or pro bowl. Not that that is a ringing endorsement, but your own statement is very confusing

What?

Plenty of qb’s don’t make the top 100 or pro bowl. Not that that is a ringing endorsement, but your own statement is very confusing
you name one that is above avg or great. you not being real. for example tampa, oak and tenn qb have made it to probowl.

thill17 is only qb that have started last 4 yr. that have never been to probowl. or top 100. his peer group do nt think he is good. I am not hear talk bad about thill17 every yr. I just want fan to be real on here about our qb. what is 8 game. he did not win all them game last yr. he help beat 49ers and rams. the rest of game somebody else one.
You really should do a little more reading and research before you post. It's kind of embarrassing watching you flounder through these forms.

Typical Tannehater. Losses - all his fault. Wins - anybody could have done that. LOL.

Typical Tannegod worshippers, what middle tier QB whose defense gave up 9.4 points had 3.2 turnover and scored 4 tds wouldn't have the exact same record over that 7 game stretch? We just saw an inferior Peyton Manning win a Super Bowl and go 7-2 in the regular season with a defense that gave up 18.5 ppg. Did Tannehill line up on defense or something?

Seems to me like you are advocating for drafting defense this year. I agree.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...hampionships-not-necessarily-in-nfl/96895528/

"Over the last two decades, the only Super Bowl-winning defenses that ranked lower than 20th in both points and yards were the 2011 New York Giants, the 2009 New Orleans Saints and the 2006 Indianapolis Colts."

Seems to me like your grasping at straws sine I destroyed your QB cannot win with bad o-line argument. Now were brining ranking based on yards but I thought TD's/points were all that mattered that why Mike Wallace 1257 10 td season in pitt is no different than his 862 10 td season with the phins. So once again no defense in the last 15 years ranked 28th or worse has even a winning record besides the 2008 Cardinals. While 7 teams with an OL ranked 28th or worse have a winning record since 2012.

Consider the Cowboys and the Seahawks one has had an almost consensus best OL in the 2013 through 2016 seasons and the other has had the consensus best defense in the same time period. The Seahawks are 7-3 in the playoffs with 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 Super Bowl win. The Cowboys are 1-2 in the Playoffs. The Seahawks between 2013 to 2016 have their OL ranked #27, #19, #30, and #32 so bottom of the barrel besides 2014 in which they were ranked #19. The Cowboys defensive ranking is as follows #26, #15, #16, #5.

Looks to me like if I had the choice between having the best OL in the league or the best defense in the league the obvious choice is defense. I believe the old adage is defense wins championships. So in conclusion if the ball can't cross the plane the OL is not to blame.

Back
Top Bottom